Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 07:45   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sail Trimming

Someone recommend a good sail trimming book for me.
I understand the basics and a lot of the theory from an Aero background.
However I'm weak in the application. I don't want a Graduate level book, but I may be beyond the average sailing for Dummies, or hope I am anyway
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Sail Trimming

Have one at home that I like but not sure of the title. Might be something like The Essence of Sail Trim or maybe essentials.

Another one I've seen recommended but don't have myself is Sail Power which I understand is targeted for cruisers and not racers or "experts".
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:29   #3

Boat: Westsail 28

I get useful stuff from Youtube .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The shortest version:

Adjust so the tell-tales are streaming aft & when in doubt, let it out.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:57   #5

North used to put out a good guide on sail trim, that was some years ago but there's nothing new these days so no advantage on being current, they also had a real good video.If you ever had the time to go out on a well crewed race boat you would learn more in one race than you could read in several days.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The shortest version:

Adjust so the tell-tales are streaming aft & when in doubt, let it out.

I'm sort of there, except I shorten the line a little extra from optimum, that way I don't have to muck with it so much if the wind shifts just a little
But there has to be more to it that that
Old 20-02-2017, 10:12   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
................. But there has to be more to it that that
Oh yeah, I forgot ..... "head up in a gust". I know I'm being simplistic to a fault, but I've always been carefree with the rigors of sailing. Most of the time I don't care where I'm heading or how soon I may arrive. Of course my attitude is different when I'm on an offshore passage, but most of my leisure sailing is without a goal. Over my sixty years of sailing most of my miles have been recorded finishing where my day started!
Old 20-02-2017, 10:18   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Hey now, "when in doubt let it out" and "head up in a gust" comprise my entire skill set. This level of "knowledge " was enough to keep us from grounding when my partner was hit by the boom during an accidental jibe. (Mountain lake winds 0-40 in one breath)
Good stuff to know
Old 20-02-2017, 10:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If you ever had the time to go out on a well crewed race boat you would learn more in one race than you could read in several days.
I would second this recommendation. Have not done it yetmyself but if the opportunity presents I will give it a go. For myself I think it could be especially beneficial since I'm about 98% self taught.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:56   #10

Boat: Sabre 402

Tom Whidden's "The Art and Science of Sails" taught me some things.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-S.../dp/0312044178. C.A. Marchaj also has a number of interesting titles. Try this one: https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Hydrodyn.../dp/0877429936
A good bit more than "keep the streamers flat".
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail Trimming

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2F&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDFSRV

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:22   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot ..... "head up in a gust".

You forgot, reef when it gets dark, I learned that one the hard way.
In actuality I was thinking of when we are passage making, why not read up on the subject and maybe learn how to get there a little sooner. I think I understand the Science, just not the practical application
I don't know how or why, but my Son "get's it". He has never been on any kind of race boat and to my knowledge has never been on any kind of sailboat but ours, yet he can consistently get a little more speed than I can.
But he is nearly constantly fidgeting with the sails, putting in one crank, then two minutes later letting it out.
Old 20-02-2017, 11:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail Trimming

Gave you videos.. now the book.. figured you'd prefer a Yank to some hairy arsed Brit you've never heard off..

The New Book of Sail Trim by Ken Textor, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:39   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Boatie, it's the books I'm mostly after.
I'm the type that learns best if I can read about it, then give it a try
Old 20-02-2017, 11:59   #15

Let's deal with the headsail just for fun. I'm not going to get into halyard tension for different winds because typically cruisers adjust it when they put the sail up and it stays that way until the sail is removed. I'm also not going to deal with backstay tension to tighten up the forestay because again most cruisers don't use these controls. So that leaves the position of the fair lead and this is very important. Make sure your sail has a set of tell tails positioned about a foot back from the luff. Now sail the boat on a close hauled course with the tell tails on both sides of the sail streaming back. Paying careful attention to the telltales start turning the boat into the wind, this will cause the inner tell tails to break, if the upper tell tail breaks first move the fair lead forward, if the bottom breaks first move it back. It might take you a couple of times but when you finally nail it and the tell tails all break together when you pinch up into the wind make note of the fair leads position, for example 8 holes from the back of the track. For a cruiser that's good enough and you can reset the fairlead in the same position every time you expect to be close hauled or beating. When on this point of sail keep both the forward and backside tell tails streaming, if the inside telltail is lifting steer a bit more off the wind until it's streaming. If the outside telltails are lifting steer closer to the wind until they are streaming.
Now as you bear off the wind and esse the sheet your fairlead is going to be moved forward , this stops the sail from twisting off on the upper part of the sail. You will get to a point when the you ease the sail and you can no longer keep all the tell tails flying so don't let that concern you simply ensure that the top part of the sail isn't luffing and you'll be close enough. When you're really off the wind it makes sense to pole the jib out. Generally the further you are off the wind the further out you should move the fairlead . I use a snatchblock set into the toe rail to accomplish this. When you get the fairlead positions properly set for close reaching and beam reaching, again, mark the number of holes and you can come back to these positions. Even if your not exact you're sails will be set and trimmed better than most cruisers. If you like you can apply a second set of tell tails at your first roller reef point, make sure you mark the bottom of the sail, the foot, with sticky tape so you can come back to this position when you decide to reef. You can go thru the whole excersize again marking fairlead positions. The most important thing to know is always move the fairlead forward when roller reefing or your sail will be twisted right off at the top which will deposed the sail. That gets to depowering sails, move the car back, it will cause the upper part of the sail to twist off and depower it. It's really good to have fair leads that you can adjust while the sail is powered up, they will have pulleys on both sides of the fairlead that allows you to move the car back and forth with the sail fully powered. Many cruisers don't have these and that often means they don't properly trim sails because other than the lightest winds even if you ease the sheets it's very hard to adjust the fair leads. What I do is to put a rolling hitch with a separate line attached to the toe rail or anything that is solid and nearby on the headsail sheet slightly forward of the fairlead and then ease the sheet until the second line is taking the load and then you can easily move the fairlead. Once the fairlead is in the new position you winch the sheet tight which removes all the pressure on the rolling hitch and you then simply remove it.
Ok that should give you something to go and play with, if you want to pm me I'll tell you how to properly set and trim your mainsail. Cheers, R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail