Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 05:32   #1

Boat: TBD
Researching a Sailing Vacation

Hello,

I have a quick question. I'm not sure we will do this any time soon, simply looking into it at this point.

I would like (I think) to take my wife on a sailing vacation charter. What are some of the best places to do this? I've seen things around Spain, France, Greece, The Caribbean, etc.

I would like to be able to bumble around as opposed to a planned "tour". One day maybe stay in a certain area that we like, or just lounge around.

Any suggestions?
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 05:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Researching a Sailing Vacation

May I suggest you be more specific in your question, if you want some real suggestions? There is nothing in your post or profile to indicate your location, desires, and abilities. Your post is something like, "I'd like to go on vacation somewhere; what places are nice?" Some basic questions include: Location are you starting from; Resources (budget, sailing ability); Previous experiences that you liked (sailing, swimming, historical trips, etc.).
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 05:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
May I suggest you be more specific in your question, if you want some real suggestions? There is nothing in your post or profile to indicate your location, desires, and abilities. Your post is something like, "I'd like to go on vacation somewhere; what places are nice?" Some basic questions include: Location are you starting from; Resources (budget, sailing ability); Previous experiences that you liked (sailing, swimming, historical trips, etc.).
Well, not sure why starting location matters, let's just say the US.

Desire: I'd like to do some research into sailing vacation locations. Maybe someone here has done this sort of thing in one of the areas I've listed, or other locations, and loved it.

I have been on a sailboat a few times. That's why I am looking into a charter.

Budget up to say $5000, but flexible.
Old 22-04-2016, 05:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Are you thinking about crewed or bareboat charter?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 05:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Are you thinking about crewed or bareboat charter?
Crewed. This shows how little I know about sailing, I thought a charter meant with a crew. Actually, I was thinking a one person crew. I would like to learn how to sail a bit, if the captain/owner of the boat was open to teaching a little bit here and there.
Old 22-04-2016, 05:58   #6

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Turkey looks very nice. I haven't done it, but I've researched it thoroughly and had a friend that did it.

It seems pretty affordable too, shouldn't cost much to fly into Istanbul from North America.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

If you would like to learn to sail along the way - we would be happy to do a private trip for you with an instructor along. You can learn as much or as little as you would like along the way. The Southern Caribbean is one of the best sailing destinations anywhere with great wind and beautiful anchorages.

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
If you would like to learn to sail along the way - we would be happy to do a private trip for you with an instructor along. You can learn as much or as little as you would like along the way. The Southern Caribbean is one of the best sailing destinations anywhere with great wind and beautiful anchorages.

Beam winds,

Chris
On your boat? (Is that a dumb question? It feels like a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway.)
Old 22-04-2016, 08:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
On your boat? (Is that a dumb question? It feels like a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway.)
I just noticed the link to your school. Sorry, it's Friday and I have been cooped up in an office.
Old 22-04-2016, 08:13   #10
Marine Service Provider

No problem! We use mostly charter boats from Sunsail and The Moorings. We can provide either a catamaran or monohull. Check out the website and our Trip Advisor reviews and let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:31   #11

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

If your $5000 budget is to include airfare for two people getting to your destination, and any food or provisions, and the captain, your options are probably pretty much limited to the Caribbean if you are US-based. But probably still doable on a smaller boat, shorter charter period (week or so), and maybe the off season. The most charter activity is going to be in the BVI, but might be worth checking other Caribbean locations as well. Expand that budget a bit and your options open up quite a bit.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:36   #12

So, let's say I was in your shoes. I'd go to Google and type in "crewed sailboat charters" and read a lot to find out what I was interested in.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:36   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 47 cat

The BVI's have dozens of "captain only" charter boats that offer exactly what you are looking for. They are represented both by local clearing houses, brokers or even on Home Away and Vacation Rentals By Owner ( VRBO )
In my opinion the BVI's offer the best cruising grounds for your first trip with the cheapest airfare from the US and the most things to do and see with the shortest distance between each island.
Ken
s/v Sunshine
kwolfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:49   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

BVI or San Juan Islands are great, safe starter charter locations. Go to the charter companies and get quote for "captain only" cost plus charter to have any chance of staying within your budget. I like Horizon in the BVI (or course Moorings & Sunsail are always good). Have had good luck with TMM. Ship Harbor or San Juan Sailing in the PNW. Would help with cost if you could find another couple to accompany you.
Personally I would bite the bullet, spend twice as much, find another couple and take a real "crewed yacht" through one of the clearing houses. Find a good broker
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
So, let's say I was in your shoes. I'd go to Google and type in "crewed sailboat charters" and read a lot to find out what I was interested in.
I did indeed do a simple Google search which returned about 224,000 results from nearly every corner of the Earth.

I am merely looking for a good starting point and perhaps some first-hand experience, which is better than catchy sales slogans.

Tags
arc, research, sail, sailing, vacation