Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2008, 09:17   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Researching my boat's pedigree

She is:

Cuttyhunk ketch 54 (though I've also seen them called "53"s and "59"s, which is the LOA including the bowsprit...I like the bigger number )
Year she was built: 1977
Designer: Alan Pape
Yard (according to a 1974 sistership) John Sears, Falmouth

Those of you who have been following my restoration saga may be surprised that I haven't done this yet, but I am just now getting around to researching my boat's brand and history. There is a catalyst here: as we're starting from scratch on the rigging, chainplate location, etc, it would be nice to have the original schematics from the builder. My boat came with no original documentation. I am also very curious about the history of the make, years they were made, how many, etc.

I've been googling sister ships for sale, not too many out there; I've emailed the sellers of the two I found to see if they have any of the original paperwork, haven't heard back from them yet.

In case any of you have better investigative skills than I, I'd appreciate any advice you might have for me.

Thanx!
Geoff
Old 22-04-2008, 09:27   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
You won't like the 'bigger number' when it comes to slip fees.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 09:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Did I say 59? Um, I meant 29! Actually, aside from being a cheapskate, even with her new bow thruster she's still going to be a bit of an elephant in port. I expect to be doing a lot of anchoring and mooring.
Old 22-04-2008, 10:11   #4

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I've just been looking through your gallery, and wow. If you want to know your ships' pedigree, look in the mirror (you've done an unbelievable job). Do you have a website? The lines on that ship are gorgeous, and you're right... I can't find much info on the web.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 12:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I appreciate the kind words. I can't claim credit for the execution, just the design and the financing (oy). No website yet... thus far I've been imposing upon the generous nature of the Forum's bandwidth! Thanks for taking a look around for me.
Old 28-01-2009, 16:40   #6

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Geoff,
Just happened to see your refit photos - and man what a gorgeous boat. Very nice job! Hope you are enjoying her.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 17:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Swabbmob!

Well, unless you count the right to call Trinidad my second home (I am a principal backer of the country's GDP, after all), not much enjoying to be had yet. Still very much in the weeds financially, and in this economic age I'm loathe to go into debt.

Things were looking promising as of December; the engine went in and suddenly my electrician, carpenter, rigger and painter were about to spring into action. I was actually thinking that my perrennial guestimate of "about a year from now" to inquisitive friends might not actually be a lie this year! And then suddenly, here in January, I find I'm filing for divorce... So, the math is, Already Meagre Net Worth ÷ 2 = Boat's Going to Take a Little Longer. But, on the other hand... Attention all nice wealthy attractive divorceés: if you like the boat, her captain will soon be available again!

Meanwhile, I'm just one lottery ticket and another year's refit away from my World Cruise!

Chin up and Eyes on Prize,
Geoff
Old 23-05-2009, 22:58   #8

Your Boat's Pedigree

Hi Geoff,

I've read your story and looked at the photographs of your lovely boat and your loving restoration. I am Matty Sears and John Sears, my father, was the builder of your boat. I was a child in the 1970's when she was built. I have wonderful memories of that time spent in Falmouth. These days I make my home in Portland, OR.

My father passed away nearly a year ago and this lead me to googling some of his boats. That's how I found your story. My older brothers have better recollections of the boatyard, they both worked there. I believe they may have more information on the boats themselves, possibly plans, drawings and photographs, though I am not certain.
If you write back to me, I will forward your information to them.
I asked my mother what she remembers about your boat, but it was obviously built with another name, as she did not recall the name when I told her.

I hope work is progressing well and look forward to hearing back from you.
All the best,
Matty Sears
mattsears@hevanet.com
Matty Sears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc