Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 15:16   #1

removing a bulkhead next to a mast

trying to remove a bulkhead on a 1984 36' Catalina that is next to a mast and seems un-doable to remove in 1 piece. any advice?
b-happy too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:53   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: removing a bulkhead next to a mast

Make it two pieces?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 21:25   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

b-happy too, it would help us think about this to know a little more. It goes without saying that you are wanting to replace the bulkhead because it has rot or came untabbed. If you are planning to completely remove it in order to install a new one, there is no reason not to cut it into bits that will exit the companionway conveniently. However if the bulkhead is sound, then re-glassing it in might be the better option, using what is there now for locating it correctly.

Also, i believe there is a Catalina 30 owners forum out there somewhere (try Googling), and you might receive informed counsel there, as well.

Ann
Old 16-11-2017, 21:47   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Dunno the structural design of your boat but.. Fein multicutter and a pile of blades would work. There's to consider the structural integrity of your boat, like chainplates and what's keeping the deck and hull in their form after the removal..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 08:46   #5

Boat: Moody 37

The big question is why? Easy enough to chop it out with cutters time and effort, but why would you do it in the first place? More info required
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:12   #6

What are you gonna do once the bulkhead is out???

If it is next to the mast, it is almost certain to be a major structural component of the hull, possibly taking and dispersing the compression loads from the mast. Removing it will wreck the boat UNLESS it is replaced - competently - with another bulkhead like it, or a properly engineered substitute.

If your plan is to replace the bulkhead with a new one the mate to the old one, the question you ask is not particularly apposite. The question you need to ask is "How do I get a new one-piece bulkhead through the companionway? The answer is: You don't! What you do do is build a new one from smaller pieces that you CAN get through the companionway. Unless you are a skilled shipwright or at least a skilled and innovative woodworker, best not to go down that road!

Best of luck!

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:36   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Advice, yes. Give us the bigger picture.

Odds are the bulkhead was installed in one piece, before the deck was attached. So getting it out will require some demolition. Or removing the deck.

All depends on what you are trying to do, why you are trying to do it, what the larger context is.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:33   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-happy too View Post
trying to remove a bulkhead on a 1984 36' Catalina that is next to a mast and seems un-doable to remove in 1 piece. any advice?
That's what they make SawsAlls for. I'm not familiar with your boat. I hope you are not speaking under the mast.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:35   #9

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Sounds similar to being down a coal mine and trying to remove one of the pit-props.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 14:07   #10

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I’m guessing your existing bulkhead is coming apart (delaminating). If it is just the outer venier, I recommend just removing the outer layers and skinning the bulkhead with a new layer of vertical teak battens etc. If your bulkhead is structurally compromised, but appears ok nearer the tabbing, consider cutting the bulkhead six inches from the tabbing with a sawsall and bolting your new bulkhead to this.

Putty and paint makes a sinner a saint.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 15:56   #11

Boat: seadog 30

Quote:
Is the bulkhead a supporting one?if so supports wood or metal will have to wedged or jacked into place.I dont know the boat,but Jim cates answer was good.All the best.Ronnie.
bigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 12:07   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman1 View Post
Is the bulkhead a supporting one?if so supports wood or metal will have to wedged or jacked into place.I dont know the boat,but Jim cates answer was good.All the best.Ronnie.
?????

Must have been some other Jim Cate, for I don't seem to have contributed to this thread.

One reason for this lack is the OP's reluctance to fill us in with enough info to reasonably answer his question. If he should come back and fill us in, I'll likely have an opinion.

Jim
Old 21-11-2017, 16:58   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
?????

Must have been some other Jim Cate, for I don't seem to have contributed to this thread.

One reason for this lack is the OP's reluctance to fill us in with enough info to reasonably answer his question. If he should come back and fill us in, I'll likely have an opinion.

Jim
We are always getting you mixed up with that JPA Cate...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 17:39   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Still waiting to hear from OP why this bulkhead is being removed...pretty important piece of info..
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast