Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 16:32   #136

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Prepping?

Pretty ridiculous thread.

Has anyone here not read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 18:36   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
he is Canadian from Toronto so he doesn't realize that a gun is to protect from all nature of predators.
I grew up in the north, family and friends hunt, I love good game meat. I have no problem with hunting weapons. Defense against predators - you mean like zombies?

My point is that if some people spent half as much time thinking about how to make their town, province/state or country work better as they do about surviving some imagined apocalypse... that's better preparation than just doing some hoarding on your own. Survival of something really significant will come from cooperation, not from isolation. Always does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
Prepping isn't about doomsday or zombies thats stupid ,

For me prepping is being able to look after my family where ever i am ,, yes i have guns and food and medication , i also have Ham radio
... and so do we. (... except for the guns) Including generator and radios. But my most important prepping is good relations with friends and neighbours, support for organizations that are experts at disaster aid, and trying to keep nuts out of government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Pretty ridiculous thread.

Has anyone here not read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
Ah. The other other white meat.

or "The Stand" by Stephen King.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 19:13   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I grew up in the north, family and friends hunt, I love good game meat. I have no problem with hunting weapons. Defense against predators - you mean like zombies?

My point is that if some people spent half as much time thinking about how to make their town, province/state or country work better as they do about surviving some imagined apocalypse... that's better preparation than just doing some hoarding on your own. Survival of something really significant will come from cooperation, not from isolation. Always does.

... and so do we. (... except for the guns) Including generator and radios. But my most important prepping is good relations with friends and neighbours, support for organizations that are experts at disaster aid, and trying to keep nuts out of government.

no I mean mostly the 4 footed kind like bears wolves coyotes and the like.
But if need arise the 2 footed kind .( hopefully not but best to be prepared)
also after a time when civilization starts to return being the game getter is a sellable skill set.
Old 07-03-2018, 19:27   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
no I mean mostly the 4 footed kind like bears wolves coyotes and the like.
We were well northeast of Peterborough one weekend this Feb, at a friend's cottage with no road access. Strange to tell, we were not attacked or menaced once by any predators. Though I was confronted by one red squirrel who insisted on eating birdseed from my hand.

Our hosts report spotting the very occasional bear (most often at the dump), and they sometimes hear wolves. Even here in Toronto, we spot the occasional fox or coyote in the park behind our abode. Strangely, these predators have not yet attacked us.

I'm just wondering what it is about an apocalypse that would suddenly have them change their general behaviour, which currently includes a very healthy avoidance of us.
Quote:

But if need arise the 2 footed kind .( hopefully not but best to be prepared)
also after a time when civilization starts to return being the game getter is a sellable skill set.
.... yeah... the civilization ending apocalypse. Why is it more fun to contemplate something like that, than making a world in which people can actually work and live together, even through adversity?
Old 07-03-2018, 19:55   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
We were well northeast of Peterborough one weekend this Feb, at a friend's cottage with no road access. Strange to tell, we were not attacked or menaced once by any predators. Though I was confronted by one red squirrel who insisted on eating birdseed from my hand.

Our hosts report spotting the very occasional bear (most often at the dump), and they sometimes hear wolves. Even here in Toronto, we spot the occasional fox or coyote in the park behind our abode. Strangely, these predators have not yet attacked us.

I'm just wondering what it is about an apocalypse that would suddenly have them change their general behaviour, which currently includes a very healthy avoidance of us.
.... yeah... the civilization ending apocalypse. Why is it more fun to contemplate something like that, than making a world in which people can actually work and live together, even through adversity?
sorry I admit I have a bit of a jaded view on things. I grew up in the hilltop of Tacoma Wa.
It was considers the Compton of Washington. Most times we had at least 3 drug related gang killings a week. Spent most weekends hunting and fishing in the cascades.
Btw predators get hungry enough they do wired things.
Also I stand by my hunter meat getter comment . Many can't bring themselves to shoot bambi or butcher a chicken.
Old 07-03-2018, 20:03   #141
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I believe it is fair to say that MOST sailors are also preppers
Where I live, in Australia, the best country in the world... I don't think I've ever seen, nor heard of, even a whisper of a "prepper." The only thing we know here about preppers is that there's a low budget late night TV series called Doomsday Preppers.

So, in this country at least, sailors are not preppers.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 20:28   #142

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Where I live, in Australia, the best country in the world... I don't think I've ever seen, nor heard of, even a whisper of a "prepper." The only thing we know here about preppers is that there's a low budget late night TV series called Doomsday Preppers.

So, in this country at least, sailors are not preppers.
The point is that sailors (like off roaders or RV'ers ) already prep by making living arrangements that are semi self sufficient and provision for periods of time off grid. To "doomsday" prep you just extend the period of time to be off grid.

Don't worry Lake-Effect, despite the popularity of zombie movies, internet forums, and EOTHW books less than 1% of actual energy and resources are being used by individuals to prepare for anything. From what I've seen growing up on the west coast (earthquake country) and now living on the east coast (hurricanes) everyone's sitting around waiting for that disaster expert to take care of them.
Old 07-03-2018, 20:37   #143
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The point is that sailors (like off roaders or RV'ers ) already prep by making living arrangements that are semi self efficient and provision for periods of time off grid. To "doomsday" prep you just extend the period of time to be off grid.
Here in Australia we call that camping, caravanning, semi retirement or retirement. For the most part it is full on-the-grid for these people with constant 3G/4G/ wifi connection to stay in touch with the grand kids and plugging into mains at the caravan parks, albeit some go "free camping" in terms of no requirement for power and sewage for short periods, usually just as a money saving method.

Maybe it's because we don't have all the hurricanes, earth quakes, crime and school/college shootings etc that you have over there in the USA.
Old 07-03-2018, 20:41   #144

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Here in Australia we call that camping, caravanning, semi retirement or retirement. For the most part it is full on-the-grid for these people with constant 3G/4G/ wifi connection to stay in touch with the grand kids and plugging into mains at the caravan parks, albeit some go "free camping" in terms of no requirement for power and sewage for short periods, usually just as a money saving method.

Maybe it's because we don't have all the hurricanes, earth quakes, crime and school/college shootings etc that you have over there in the USA.
But in the USA we have wild animals that are cute and non-venomous. We also don't have the international stigma of Fosters beer. So it all evens out in the end [emoji13]
Old 07-03-2018, 21:03   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Don't worry Lake-Effect, despite the popularity of zombie movies, internet forums, and EOTHW books less than 1% of actual energy and resources are being used by individuals to prepare for anything. From what I've seen growing up on the west coast (earthquake country) and now living on the east coast (hurricanes) everyone's sitting around waiting for that disaster expert to take care of them.
Thank you, that's a load off...

Can you actually prepare, as an individual or a family, for a major earthquake? Having some sensible stockpiles (food water candles generator etc) will keep you fed and entertained for a while, but at some future point, you will still be driving/biking/walking/crawling out of there. If your home is now unlivable, you are going to be looking to family, friends... or disaster relief for temporary housing. (ok, or your boat). If the earthquake dropped your house on top of your cache... oops.

I'd say ditto for hurricanes except that since we're not allowed to mention the 'C' (climate) word for 3 more years, there are no worse hurricanes and no, the sea level is NOT rising... so at least no one need prepare for something that isn't happening. Except for folks hoping to pick up slightly dented ex-charter catamarans for pennies on the dollar.

(sorry i'm in a funny mood tonight. Stopping now. G'night, and may your biggest disaster be no worse than mustard on your favourite khakis)
Old 07-03-2018, 21:40   #146
Marine Service Provider

There's not much point preparing for a major earthquake with a catamaran as it won't ride the ensuing tsunami very well!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:35   #147

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

Not worried to much about zombies they're all in town, the frickin tweakers generally don't have the ability to leave town. But when some crazed kid on drugs, alcohol, and GOKWE, they do occasionally crash an unsuspecting home, tying to ditch the cops in their hyped up state of mind. Thank God that girl's Dad taught her about guns. And the cops had already gone home. And by the way I know my neighbors.
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:59   #148

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
But in the USA we have wild animals that are cute and non-venomous. We also don't have the international stigma of Fosters beer. So it all evens out in the end [emoji13]
FOSTERS ,, we don't drink that crap mate ,, that just gets sold to tourists ,,,HAHAHA<<
FOSTERS <<<

I would rather drink american coffee ( if i was desperate enough )
Old 08-03-2018, 13:02   #149

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:

Thank you ,,, i was trying to find this movie i was telling a friend about it ,,,

Now i just have to find a copy
Old 08-03-2018, 13:25   #150

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

This is an interesting thread for me to keep reading. My education other than business admin is in fire and emergency management. Obviously spending a lot of time reading and studying planning, mitigation, preparing, response, communication and recovery as it relates to emergencies.

Having to write emergency operations plans to address all hazards, being certified by FEMA for incident control, national framework, continuity of operations, etc. really has opened my eyes much more.

I certainly don't consider myself a doomsday prepper. However, my wife and I as I think I mentioned here earlier on went through a pretty decent earthquake. It woke us from complacency, we lost power, water and the ability to move about freely in our two sports cars due to damaged roads and bridges.

We decided never again would we caught so unprepared for an emergency. We started collecting supplies to eat and drink for about a week and a half and it grew from there to a few weeks or more. Extra toilet paper, medical kits, few gallons of extra gas, get home bags, sensible shoes, etc.

Then fast forward a year or two and the major power outage in SD that went all the way to Mexico and LA and east to AZ or the major flooding of Camp Pendleton. We had enough extra supplies to be a blessing to our ill prepared neighbors. I was SHOCKED to see few had more than a couple bottles of water or more food than they could consume in a day and a half. Many of our friends had immediate family stuck on the side of the highways coming home.

They lived with fuel tanks at a quarter full, always adding only a few bucks. Well when the power went out, traffic lights stopped and congestion and accidents happened in mass. As a result, long delays and idling on the road led to lots of folks running out of gas many miles from home. Let me tell you, it was HARD for my neighbor to go and get his wife from 20 miles away. Thank God we had the ability to get him a few gallons of gas and the cell towers were so over loaded only text messages got through. Thankfully their batteries lasted long enough to stay connected.

All that said, a vast majority of Americans are unwilling to mitigate even the slightest disruptions in services. We are so highly dependent upon modern technology and the JIT infrastructure for food, water, fuel or medications.

I'm not worried about zombies, that’s just ridiculous. But I will try to keep some reserved supplies on hand and the boat stocked and ready to go at a moment’s notice. Not because I am paranoid, but because I know what can happen and have seen it and worked it firsthand. From war, hurricanes, earthquakes, economic collapse (outside the US), widespread looting, etc.

If you float by in life thinking it will never happen hopefully it works out for you. I prefer to mitigate the threats and operate under "just a matter of time" before something else happens. Whatever steps I have taken to prepare and plan will serve all hazards and we sleep soundly knowing we have our own insurance policy.

I hope all those of you who have never been through any disaster or extreme situations continue to evade them, honestly. But it would behoove you and your families to put a few days-worth of supplies on hand. It’s not extreme, its pragmatic.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote