Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 14:21   #1

Ocean passage for 30 yr. old boat - Good or bad idea?

In my search for our retirement cruising boat I've come across some interesting boats located in Europe. The principal problem is of course, getting it back to the states. We lean toward older (late 80's/90's) "quality" boats (e.g. H-R, Najad, Taswell, Bristol, etc.). I think we're up for an Atlantic crossing (either with friends who've done ocean passages, going with the ARC or worse case, using a delivery skipper) but the question is whether it's a good idea to sail a "new" (to us) old boat on a long ocean passage. I'm not talking about buying a boat, sailing off the dock and crossing the Atlantic. Obviously we'd hope to buy well, get a well maintained boat, get a good survey, then spend 3 - 4 weeks going through the boat to make sure all of the critical systems are up to a long passage. Good or bad idea? Anyone with personal experience one way or the other? Finally, anyone with a good ocean prep checklist, geared toward older boats?

Thanks.

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Ocean passage for 30 yr. old boat - Good or bad idea?

Jim, depending on were you buy it will take a lot longer than 3-4 weeks to reach say the Canaries Islands before jumping off which give you some shorter passages to discover the problems and there could be.

Oh and I wouldn't consider a 80 or 90s yacht old. Possibly better built and could have a series of updates that a 2000 onwards yacht now needs but hasn't happened, the owner preferring to sell instead.

However, are you really ready for a 4 week sail constantly rolling across the Atlantic? How about chartering a yacht first?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:46   #3

Boat: Tophat M1 25feet

a 40 year old boat will probably be more ready than your own mind
Sectorsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have seen a few, a very few, boat buyers take delivery of a used boat and leave on a long sail in weeks. It can happen and you might get lucky but in your position I would be prepared to spend a few months if necessary to prep for a transatlantic.

As far as the age, like Indiana Jones said, "It's not the years, it's the mileage."

A well maintained, good quality older boat that passes a thorough survey I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ocean passage for 30 yr. old boat - Good or bad idea?

No problem at all if you make a wise purchase..
To be honest if you get her cruise ready for a season that's good enough for a crossing.. unless your going for a speed record and pushing to the limit..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:10   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There's a thread here called "How old is your boat?" Or something like that. I was surprised how many folks are sailing 30 year old, or older boats. Many old boats are still great, if they are of good original build quality and have been well- maintained.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:29   #7

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Unfortunately fatigue is unpredictable and inspections won't yield any clues as to when something might fatigue fail. You should be OK though. Good luck!
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:32   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

My boat is 37 years old (young) and aside from a lack of updating to more modern nav. gear I think the old girl has lots of miles left in her. My shake down was to bring her up from La Paz, Baja Ca. Sur around Cabo and on up to San Diego and San Pedro,Ca.
After about 1200 miles beating into head seas for the entire trip I think all the weak items showed themselves and will be addressed prior to any real off shore voyages. I was impressed at the overall stoutness of hull and rig. Many small things need TLC. Any boat even newer ones will require some work to prepare for off shore work.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:38   #9

Boat: Boatless

In 2015 we crossed the Pacific on a 31 yr old boat and she suffered less problems than many of the newer boats...We are about to recross the Pacific two years later.

However, you need to spend more time getting the boat and yourselves ready unless you have something close to Boatman's level of skill and daring. We have been working on our boat for 3 months getting everything fixed so that we are ready to cross.

Good luck.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:50   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

My old boat is 36 yo off the blocks. After major up grades and refit I consider it better then most new boats as far as seaworthyness.

A lot of the pre 1990 boats were over built due to the lack in technology in resins and glass weaves. You have to be careful with some of the newer production boats. Some are chopped glass now but I think it's the smaller boats Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore? by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor

I'm not sure about EU but here in the USA durning the early 80s there was some bad resin going around which allow blisters to form more easily.

But finding an older boat that's ready for a crossing right from the sale would be a lucky strike. Mine is for sale but I'm on the Northwest coast.

You really never get to know a boat until you've taken it out in rough weather. Every time I go out a I make a list of things I need or want to do to the boat. 3-4 weeks is nothing when it comes to refit/repairing boats. Sometimes it takes that long just to get a replacement part, especially rigging.

The priorities, in order, I use for buying are motor/drive train, mast/rigging, sails/sheets, rudder & its shaft, dewatering gear and electronics. And if gunkholing, anchor, winch & rode quality and quantity. Everything else is marginal.
Old 22-03-2017, 16:00   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We completed 36,000 miles offshore two years ago in our, now, 35 year old boat. We have been doing work on it and would not hesitate to take it again. It is the original quality of the boat along with how it has been maintained and upgraded that matters. I think you would want to spend more than a couple of weeks prepping a new to you boat.
Old 22-03-2017, 17:27   #12

Have you thought about AC power?

European power is different entirely and unless using some sort of convertor, boat will need to be rewired including anything AC driven replaced with US gear.

Even the outlets are different and US appliances generally can't be plugged in.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 19:55   #13

Does age matter?
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 20:18   #14

Boat: Wauqueiz Pretorian 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Does age matter?

No but i am told size does.......?
AMFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 20:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

You'll find boats much older than 30 years making such a passage but as many have said already it's not so much the age rather the quality of the build and capability of the crew. There are many fine "older" boats out there that would be well suited for what you're looking to do, some of which you've already named, but I don't think it necessary to travel to Europe to find them. There are a good number of capable boats right here in the US to choose from including European boats like the HR's, Najad, and Nauticats. I'd also look at Shannon, Bristol, Valiant, and Cambria to name a few, although there's plenty of others.

If you're set on buying in Europe I'd allow for at least three months to shake out the boat and get a feel for her before setting out. Perhaps look to bring a knowledgeable delivery captain along with you for the crossing. Good luck to you!
jjmclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, passage