Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 21:13   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Ocean passage for 30 yr. old boat - Good or bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Have you thought about AC power?

European power is different entirely and unless using some sort of convertor, boat will need to be rewired including anything AC driven replaced with US gear.

Even the outlets are different and US appliances generally can't be plugged in.

In my experience European boats of that vintage tend not to have complicated AC circuitry. Mine, 31 years old, has the following.

240 Volt shore power goes to a little switchboard with four circuit breakers.
1/ An old ferro resonant battery charger.
2/Two 240 volt power points
3/Heating element on the calorifier
4/Spare

Cable run from shore power to s/board about 3 metres
Run to Calorifier about the same.
Run to charger about 1 metre.
Run to power points 2 feet.

Replacement or duplication would not be a big deal in the scheme of things.
Old 22-03-2017, 21:42   #17

Boat: Mason 53

How about considering retiring down under, Mate?? I have a well kept, 32 year old, Mason 53 in New Zealand that will can take you safely back and forth to the tropics for years to come. Pics in the album on my profile page. She is still U.S. documented and imported to New Zealand, so you can leave and return to New Zealand as often as you wish without any tax issues. Send me a private message if you want to discuss in more detail. All the best with the search. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 05:29   #18

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I've been crewing now 46yrs old boat on Atlantic passages and going next year with her again from Azores to Dublin Some problems thou but they were with much more fresh gear as with generator sucking in some sea in the oilpan and mainsail battens which were a real PITA.. But you sort out difficulties

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 05:38   #19

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Its not the age of the boat, but her condition that matters. I suggest making a short (2-4 day) passage before undertaking an ocean crossing. Ideally, you would stop after the short passage somewhere easy to get work done, order parts, etc.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 05:54   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Perfectly frankly, I think the 1980's era yachts were much better built than what is being offered today--at least based upon what we see at the various boat shows. Our 1986 First 42 is very sturdy. Below deck shes as quiet as a mouse even in crappy weather/big seas. I also think the Fastnet disaster in '79 led to design improvements in the later boats, particularly those by Frers, that made them much safer but still fast. In fact, the original owner of our boat (I am the second owner) took delivery of the yacht in France, sea trialed her there for two weeks to work out any "new boat kinks" and then sailed her home to Annapolis via the EC with three pals. He subsequently commuted between Annapolis, New England and the Bahamas annually for the following 15 years. (Actually, he traded her in for a 473 in 2001 and later commented that he regretted that decision!).

N'any case, a well built mid-'80's era boat that has been properly maintained will do fine so long as the crew is up to the task.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:34   #21

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We completed 36,000 miles offshore two years ago in our, now, 35 year old boat. We have been doing work on it and would not hesitate to take it again. It is the original quality of the boat along with how it has been maintained and upgraded that matters. I think you would want to spend more than a couple of weeks prepping a new to you boat.
^^^This. I've been on this boat and if it could be killed by rough stuff, it would have already happened! Same can be said of most quality builds from the '70s or '80s. Only recently (say, since 2000) has the condo effect and the bean-counter effect begun to alter boat designs and construction techniques in ways I feel are life-shortening for all concerned.

Just don't underestimate the time needed to prep a good old boat. It's a significant investment on top of a significant investment.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFE View Post
No but i am told size does.......?

Lol, means right size?

Btw. Back in 70's, some did around the world with less than 30 footer, like 27s.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:40   #23

why buy in Europe? the dollar vs Euro still favors Euro, although we may see parity this year.

There are many "good quality" older boats for sale in the US. I would suggest East Coast will have more of what you are seeking. Unless the "purpose' is to cross the Atlantic after purchase in Europe. The "cons" to a European purchase, I believe, outweigh the "pros": selection, conversion (AC), cost and opportunity to "really" get to know the boat. If you are unconvinced, why not buy in Europe and spend a year or two cruising the Med or Baltic … and then cross the Atlantic? Lots to see, great boat learning experience … and you'll feel better about a long ocean passage … or not. btw, from Portugal to Canaries is 4-6 days, then Canaries to Caribbean is another 18-23 days. Most of it downwind. Then to your final destination xx days.

Re; "old" boat … I crossed in my 43 year old boat and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It's all about maintenance.

Fair winds.
bluewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
In my experience European boats of that vintage tend not to have complicated AC circuitry. Mine, 31 years old, has the following.

240 Volt shore power goes to a little switchboard with four circuit breakers.
1/ An old ferro resonant battery charger.
2/Two 240 volt power points
3/Heating element on the calorifier
4/Spare

Cable run from shore power to s/board about 3 metres
Run to Calorifier about the same.
Run to charger about 1 metre.
Run to power points 2 feet.

Replacement or duplication would not be a big deal in the scheme of things.
Yours does sound simple enough.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:19   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Damn, you mean my 45 year old boat should have fallen apart on the solo sail to Hawaii. It's not the age of the boat but how well it's been maintained and upgraded. A 10-20 year old boat is the last boat I'd want to sail off the edge of the world in. The boat may look nice but the rigging probably needs replacing and maybe the chain plates. Same goes for most other systems.

As others have said, allow months to go over the boat thoroughly to find any flaws and make changes that will work for you. Sail the heck out of it with at least one sail of several days offshore and many days on the hook. What works tied up at the dock or a daysail may be a failure in the real world of passage making and cruising.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

That's a fine idea if you were talking about my boat. It's 47 year old Newport 41, built like a tank but fast and comfortable, solid glass hand lay-up, raced the '69 Transpac, Hawaii Yacht Racing Assn. champion in 70' and 71', still competitive club racer, impecably maintained, 300 hours on a newly overerhauled diesel, completely rewired, new over-sized standing rigging installed this month, nearly new mainsail, hauled in December 2016....but you get the picture, there are yachts and then there are other boats.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:13   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
In my search for our retirement cruising boat I've come across some interesting boats located in Europe. The principal problem is of course, getting it back to the states. We lean toward older (late 80's/90's) "quality" boats (e.g. H-R, Najad, Taswell, Bristol, etc.). I think we're up for an Atlantic crossing (either with friends who've done ocean passages, going with the ARC or worse case, using a delivery skipper) but the question is whether it's a good idea to sail a "new" (to us) old boat on a long ocean passage. I'm not talking about buying a boat, sailing off the dock and crossing the Atlantic. Obviously we'd hope to buy well, get a well maintained boat, get a good survey, then spend 3 - 4 weeks going through the boat to make sure all of the critical systems are up to a long passage. Good or bad idea? Anyone with personal experience one way or the other? Finally, anyone with a good ocean prep checklist, geared toward older boats?

Thanks.

-Jim
It sounds as if you have it all together. A well maintained boat a 30 shouldn't be a problem. If you have the time the Arc+ might be a consideration. The first leg would be somewhat of a shake down. Crossing a those lats. is relatively safe but getting to NC at the end would be a nice slow trip through the islands.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:14   #28

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Diesel Bill,

I know every boat will be different but it would be nice to know what you discovered on your shake down, if its not to personal. It might provide good info for myself and others to be aware of.

Thanks
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:33   #29

Boat: Hunter 456 -46

I am always amazed at the thought process people have on taking a new to them boat, let alone people that have had boats for a couple of years, to work out knowing the boat. The lack of knowledge and skill is easily measured by romantic ideas and dreams that many people have in mind. When you own several boats over many years, you know that many of these dreams turn into disasters. If you have to ask a question of crossing an ocean with little time for familiarity of a vessel on this forum demonstrates one's lack of respect for seamanship and common sense. Lots of good post here trying to help people to enjoy the boating life and for the safety of all. It's a shame that these requests start to sound like a broken record. It's not just in these forums. I constantly meet people with great ideas that aren't willing to take the time to learn to understand the magnitude of their dreams and how to fulfill them.
Bill Creadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:50   #30

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The fact is that a fiberglass boat does have a finite life and the degree of maintenance does not affect that. Fatigue can lead to catastrophic failure. There has been plenty of research on the subject and a simple google search will will yield plenty of information on the subject.
There are so many old boats are still around because they don't get used much. If all boats were actively cruised you would see a lot more failures.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, passage