Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 12:13   #46

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
(personally, I've never known a $10k sailboat that was circumnav worthy).
Try searching for an Alberg30 in the Chesapeake area. I've seen several with original Atomic 4's and decent sails for $5k. The other half should cover other expenses. Been circumbnavigated several times.

So now you know one :-)

Full disclosure, I own one and liveaboard.
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 12:15   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Try searching for an Alberg30 in the Chesapeake area. I've seen several with original Atomic 4's and decent sails for $5k. The other half should cover other expenses. Been circumbnavigated several times.

Full disclosure, I own one and liveaboard.
look back to earlier post of mine in this thread and see the story on youtube of a westerly centaur traveling from UK to Greece and back....

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 12:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
look back to earlier post of mine in this thread and see the story on youtube of a westerly centaur traveling from UK to Greece and back....

Well damn! There's one of those on my pier in Baltimore in the USA for sale - $500!!! Def a project but those bilge keelers are cool.
Old 14-07-2016, 12:34   #49

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We moved aboard young with only dinghy sailing experience.
We lived aboard while keeping full employment for many years.
We never hesitated to ask questions from experienced people.
We were commonly unable to budget $10,000 for anything.
We had babies while living aboard without problems.

....and we could not have done this as we did 45 years ago if we just had jobs at McDonalds or Walmart.

I see no problem with inexperienced people asking questions, even if they're old questions that we've heard before.
I'm still betting that you did not take a baby on a trip down the west coast in a 22 foot boat. My wife wants to know how she is going to deal with the diapers.

Even when I was very new I knew stuff. Perhaps seeing a movie likeTHE PERFECT STORM could help. But then, I relied on libraries, not just the internet, since there was no internet. A former VP hadn't invented it yet.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 13:35   #50

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Try searching for an Alberg 30 in the Chesapeake area. I've seen several with original Atomic 4's and decent sails for $5K. The other half should cover other expenses. Been circumnavigated several times.

Full disclosure, I own one and live aboard.
Do you have a baby and a wife. You need to have a baby, and a wife too.

No fair if you don't have a baby and a wife, and are above the age of 60.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 14:11   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post

No baby or wife and in my early 40's. I have a partner who is really into sailing though :-D
Old 14-07-2016, 14:12   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Okay, I was going to start a thread today, but this one will do. Perhaps I'm a little off topic but what the heck. There's a man (early 60s) on our dock who worked on a 100' tug (exclusively down in the engine room) for 11 years working all over the Pacific. He has just been given a 40' ferrocement Samson sloop in moderately good shape; mast, rigging, sails "OK", outboard in good condition. Don't know about tankage or what's below but he's living on it so it must be adequate.

He has never sailed. It took him 27 hours to get the boat to the dock from about 30 miles away. Doesn't have the vocabulary to describe boat parts (halyards, stays). He is determined to be in Panama by February (We are just south of Canadian border). Over the last several months I've asked him about currents, lee shores, navigation, communication, an outboard in the ocean with no sailing knowledge, many questions. He either goes sullen or pooh-poohs them saying he was in the Pacific for 11 years. In other words "Shut up or go away".

I know I'm not responsible for him, but I'm having a hard time with just "shut up or go away"? We took him out for 3 hours to show him how to sail and that's his entire experience. He wants to leave NW Washington in late summer or early fall.
In the Pacific. In an untried boat. With a VHF. Doesn't know how to sail.

There' a lot of "new, have 10K, family, baby and want to sail around the world" going on. I don't know what inspires it - I think it's discontent and a Thoreau like sense of quiet desperation. And granted this man is not endangering anyone else while doing it. But other than giving unwanted/unheard advice there seems nothing I can do to wake him up.

And that makes me a little angry and very, very sad
Redhead, if you really want to help this guy, don't tell him stuff--until he asks. Instead, ask him the question. For instance: how are you going to keep water out of the outboard when the boat pitches? how are you going to get weather forecasts at sea? what books about sailing have you read? Or did you read the Pardey's or Hiscocks's books, we enjoyed them (did you know Susan was the great sailor, Eric not so much?)

He may or may not respond to that technique, but it's something you could try. On the other hand, maybe just leave him with his dreams. A lot of people have difficulty coping with retirement; as well, he may be lonely, or he may wish to be alone, hard to tell.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 14-07-2016, 14:20   #53

who started this thread?
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 14:25   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post

Sure it's fair,- the wife and baby were a "make believe" condition from post one.
Old 14-07-2016, 14:28   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
who started this thread?
Someone bored me thinks.
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 14:51   #56

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Ann - Thanks for the guidance. Actually most of my doubts about his project have been framed as questions. "How are you going to communicate when offshore?" etc. The answer was "I have a hand held radio". But Celestial may be right, he might just go bobbing like a cork and wind up in Panama.

I'm positive I'm a little jealous. We've been at this refit for so long and all I really want to do is go sailing so the thought of just casting off and doing it makes me:

A) want to justify all our upgrades and the time spent and make dire predictions
or
B) want to chuck it all and cast off too.

I hate this adult thinking stuff sometimes. I'll get over it.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 15:37   #57

Boat: Alberg 35

OK, the OP never said the family and baby were going to be on the boat. Didn't anyone catch that?

A couple of years ago I saw a couple head out from the Salish Sea on a 26' Contessa. No engine or electrical system. Oil lamps, sextant and a handheld radio. They made it over to Thailand, then made plans for a bigger boat. That was a total investment way under $10K.

Most of us have bigger, more complicated boats. Once in a while it's a good thing to look at what the Hiscocks, Pardeys and others sailed in.

Sailing in both the Atlantic and Pacific I've seen people in 22' boats safe and happy anchored next to boats that have more than one aircraft on deck.

Without crazy dreams we would not be here.

Fair winds and following seas.
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 15:53   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickbeam View Post
OK, the OP never said the family and baby were going to be on the boat. Didn't anyone catch that?
It's fairly obvious that this thread was prompted by another thread where the proposal was for a wife with no sailing experience and a baby on the 22ft boat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 16:26   #59

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's fairly obvious that this thread was prompted by another thread where the proposal was for a wife with no sailing experience and a baby on the 22ft boat.
Yup, I got that. I was teasing, sorry if it did not get across.
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 16:49   #60

Part of the issues, I believe, is that many folks do not have secure writing skills. For whatever reasons, the OP does not include all the information that is required to understand the original question. For example, in that thread that got this one going, she said they were going to Europe. No one could possibly guess she meant, or didn't mean, using that boat to get there. Was she envisioning sailing the coasts until New England and then getting on a plane at Logan Airport? How many times have we seen technical questions take diverse turns when more information is provided, whether or not in response to questions? How many times have we seen OP's come back and say something along the lines of "But that's not what I meant?" "Well, buddy, if you re-read your post, you'll see that that is exactly what you wrote!" How many times have we typed: "Please give us more information in order to allow us to help you?" That's why they have editors and proofreaders. Not so much here in flying-fingers land!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family