Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2009, 09:05   #1

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
A New Baby - 'Our Baby'

Hello All,
Yup, I'm a noob. My best friend and I are beginning work on a new "baby". A 73 Bristol 34. But she needs a lot of TLC cosmetically and some structurally. My question is: She's moored in Tampa FL and needs to be moved to Corpus Christi, Tx. but trailering is not an option due to expense. She has some soft spots in the deck on the starboard bow running appx from center fore around the cabin to starboard for a few ft past the cabin leading edge (pic: area outlined in blue). Part of this has already been "drilled and filled" with epoxy. All else is solid. All the rigging is solid (standing and running),hull, steering and she sails well. We're debating on whether to go coast hopping or make the "big jump", but I'm concerned with her structural soundness in the bow during a crossing.

Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4ea4_12.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	7892  
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 09:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Have you done a survey?
Hard to give this kind of advice from where I'm sit-in but I'd probably sail her.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 10:22   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would have to agree with James. If the survey was sound, except for the soft spots. I would get her home on her bottom as quick as possible. One big jump, or some smaller jumps with some ICW thrown in.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 11:47   #4

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Haven't had the survey yet. We're making a run next month to fix an overheating issue with the Perkins. Planning on spending a week with some dye checking the chain plates etc... Hoping to move her b4 hurricane season ramps up. Otherwise will have to wait. She's been fairly stripped of her electronics and "extras" but we've got the goodies to replace 'em. New GPS chartplotter, VHF, etc. But still gotta steer "hands-on". The buggers took the Autohelm!
Old 24-04-2009, 11:51   #5
Eternal Member

autopilot, autopilot, autopilot, autopilot, I can't type it enough. GET ONE before you leave..........i2f
Old 24-04-2009, 12:09   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
And you may know this already, but due to all the oil rig crap left in the Gulf you CANNOT sail at night outside of the safety fairways shown on the charts. So there's almost no middle ground - you either do the big jump in a safety fairway OR you coastal hop through all of the rusting iron.

Either way it should be an adventure! Good luck with it.
Old 24-04-2009, 14:47   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Polish up the EPIRB and go for the bigger sail. You'll enjoy it and learn more about your boat.

If you sink take photos of the drama to sell to the newspapers and buy another boat

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:00   #8

There is a handy Safety Fairway just out of St.Johns Pass. After my bud checked the charts, he said; exit SJP, pass last ocean bouy turn to 270 and go. Puts out 'bout few miles south of Aransas Pass/Port A,Tx. approaches.

Has anyone made this run or one near enough? Wonder what ship traffic will be like......
Old 04-05-2009, 09:25   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Hello All,
Yup, I'm a noob. My best friend and I are beginning work on a new "baby". A 73 Bristol 34. But she needs a lot of TLC cosmetically and some structurally. My question is: She's moored in Tampa FL and needs to be moved to Corpus Christi, Tx. but trailering is not an option due to expense. She has some soft spots in the deck on the starboard bow running appx from center fore around the cabin to starboard for a few ft past the cabin leading edge (pic: area outlined in blue). Part of this has already been "drilled and filled" with epoxy. All else is solid. All the rigging is solid (standing and running),hull, steering and she sails well. We're debating on whether to go coast hopping or make the "big jump", but I'm concerned with her structural soundness in the bow during a crossing.

Your thoughts?

Depends what you mean by structural soundness in the bow. I'm curious as to what the comments will be by those that advise you to go will be if you and your best friend have to be rescued at tax payer expense because a structural soundness issue you're concerned about wasn't addressed first.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04   #10

Hi Tellie, in the original message pic is a blue taped off area on the bow and starboard side. The deck is 2-skinned fiberglass with fiberglass roving throughout. A good bit of this is over the v-bearth. We are using a hole saw and are drilling and filling the core with epoxy. My only structural concern is the forestay chainplates which we are going to check thoroughly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5b98_12.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	8012  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:09   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
autopilot, autopilot, autopilot, autopilot, I can't type it enough. GET ONE before you leave..........i2f
Actually I meant that in the literal sense. Raymarine Autohelm 3000....
Old 04-05-2009, 10:17   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Depends what you mean by structural soundness in the bow. I'm curious as to what the comments will be by those that advise you to go will be if you and your best friend have to be rescued at tax payer expense because a structural soundness issue you're concerned about wasn't addressed first.
I don't believe anyone advised him to leave if there was a structual problem.........i2f
Old 04-05-2009, 15:21   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Wonder what ship traffic will be like......
Someone put the link up for an AIS website that you can dial up virtually any port and see what shipping traffic there is.

If only I could find the link!

Was it Gordy?

Anyway, stuff ships! Just don't get run over by one

OK here ya go: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Looks OK. If you know want to see what congested shipping is like go have a look at the English Channel! That must be fun to sail through.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:39   #14

Do we have any Bristol gurus out there? What are the "cons" of the Bristols? I am hearing a few things about hull/deck joints and tank tabbing but nothing in detail. Any thoughts or comments really appreciated.
Old 31-08-2009, 07:21   #15

Exclamation Status Report

Well, she's finally coming home!

She's being stepped, picked up in the slings and loaded onto the truck in Florida as we speak. She'll be home and on the hard by Wed/Thurs for the next 3 months. Cheaper rate that way and gives us plenty of time to do what's needed without rushing. I'll try to keep pix in the album of the progress.

From what we know so far, here's the "grocery list":

Hull - Bottom job; no blistering was found by the diver. Possibly a cutlass bearing. Check all thru hulls (rebed?) and replace main seacock.

Engine - Steam clean and replace pencil zincs in heat exchanger. Replace timing chain cover and change oil and all filters. Replace all soft lines, hoses, and belts. Paint.

Deck - Remove all hardware and polish brightwork. Remove and repair starboard side teak toerail (1 foot at bow was "bashed"). With ALL hardware off deck, "skin" bow deck from pulpit to deckhouse and down stbd/port side walks to shrouds to replace core. Reseal hull/deck joint while hardware is off. New mast step and boot. Clean and grease all winches, sheaves, and blocks. Replace all running rigging. Replace all swages. Add lazy jacks(?). Paint and no-skid Durabak.

Electrical - (This is not required) Rewire entire boat, due to substantial upgrades desired. We want to eliminate the possibility of problems before they occur. Replace all lighting with LED, interior and exterior.

Tankage - Flush and clean all tankage. Replace all water lines.

To be continued(?)......
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch