Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2014, 00:36   #1

Boat: Angleman A40 Ketch 50' LOA
Back Issues of Sea and Pacific Motor Boat

I am searching for information about the original owner of Black Dolphin, a Angelman-designed wooden ketch listed in Coast Guard records as having been built in 1944 in Inglewood, California, by an R.C Ricketts. I have managed to trace all of the owners beginning in the early 1950s on, but I cannot find information about who owned the boat in the 1940s. A possible source of this information has been brought to my attention - the publication "Sea and Pacific Motor Boat Handbook and Yacht Register." Although I've searched in the usual online places, the earliest copy I've been able to get my hands on is April 15, 1955. Black Dolphin is listed in this publication as follows:

BLACK DOLPHIN: 40' ketch; William Rumsey, Coronado, Calif.: Coronado Y.C.

I've also found and bought the 1953 edition of this publication online but it hasn't yet arrived so I don't know if the boat is listed in it. I do, however, know who owned the boat in 1953. It was William Rumsey, one of the founders of SSCA. I am hoping that by posting this information on the forum someone reading it may have earlier issues of the Handbook and Yacht Register and can tell me if Black Dolphin is listed and who is listed as the owner.

Craig
cblurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 02:47   #2

Re: Back Issues of Sea and Pacific Motor Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblurton View Post
I am searching for information about the original owner of Black Dolphin, a Angelman-designed wooden ketch listed in Coast Guard records as having been built in 1944 in Inglewood, California, by an R.C Ricketts. I have managed to trace all of the owners beginning in the early 1950s on, but I cannot find information about who owned the boat in the 1940s. A possible source of this information has been brought to my attention - the publication "Sea and Pacific Motor Boat Handbook and Yacht Register." Although I've searched in the usual online places, the earliest copy I've been able to get my hands on is April 15, 1955. Black Dolphin is listed in this publication as follows:

BLACK DOLPHIN: 40' ketch; William Rumsey, Coronado, Calif.: Coronado Y.C.

I've also found and bought the 1953 edition of this publication online but it hasn't yet arrived so I don't know if the boat is listed in it. I do, however, know who owned the boat in 1953. It was William Rumsey, one of the founders of SSCA. I am hoping that by posting this information on the forum someone reading it may have earlier issues of the Handbook and Yacht Register and can tell me if Black Dolphin is listed and who is listed as the owner.

Craig
Hi, Rookie here

I am a Newbie but, I have skills with online research.

the publication "Sea and Pacific Motor Boat Handbook and Yacht Register." the publication

Publisher:
Newport Beach, Calif. : Sea Publications, 1952-1973

Link to locations of back issues..... Sea and Pacific motor boat. (Journal, magazine, 1952) [WorldCat.org]

It has been a long wait I see.... Hope this helps

Rookie

Tags
motor