Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 05:08   #76

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: New daily anchoring fees for Exuma Land and Sea Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We've been asked to pay for anchoring, and gone elsewhere, but at 176 sq. mi., this policy doesn't leave you a whole lot of choice: it's more than most vessels' days runs to exit the area.

To me, free anchorage is a sort of right of the sea; but other places have different ideas from mine!

There's another thread been started on this subject here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2590340 in case anyone's interested to see that one.

Ann
It's only a 20 mile stretch of the Exumas. Can be run in a few hours. Good anchorages north and south of the park.

It stretches five miles east and west of the scrubby cays that are mostly under a few hundred yards wide. So it's about 20x10 miles, most of it water.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02   #77

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Re: Discouraging move by the Exuma Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager37 View Post
So those are our two options, huh? Interesting. We thought norman's cay was just as beautiful as the Exuma Park. Doesn't seem like any added value for cruisers. They simply want to charge cruisers to pay for the policing of a no take zone to combat (ineffectively) over harvesting from commercial fishing. Alot easier to tax cruisers, who will generally roll over and take it, than to tax the fish and conch exporters.
If you've ever been to Saba (south of St Martin), they have a no-take zone around about a third of the island, and it is quite effective. I saw more and bigger fish while diving in the no-take area at Saba than any other equivalent sized area in the Caribbean. But as with any no take zone, unless it's enforced, you don't get the benefits. Unless you have a means of paying for the policing of the no take zone, you don't get enforcement. Sounds like the park is trying to fund enforcement. I'm okay with that.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:04   #78
CLOD

Boat: none

Bet except for the areas with the moorings no one even comes around. And even then it’s probably an honor system like the moorings except at Warderick Wells and people probably wouldn’t even know to put money into the box
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04   #79

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

I fully support modest fees, especially since this is not government, but the chartered non profit organization (Bahamas National Trust) that manages the National Parks of the Bahamas (with very limited government support). While cruisers seek freedom and expect that the ocean is ours, use fees support conservation efforts and management that keeps places like the Exumas worth the trip. Thankfully, visionaries established this park in the late 50s so we have a place today, to complain about!
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:08   #80

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
While I'm not surprised, the .50 is relatively modest all things considered and I can certainly see an Exumas wide nightly tariff being put to good use if well administered. You can't expect it all to trickle down from KB, Exuma Market and Staniel YC. And few cruisers really give back while in the Exumas
It is not $.50, it is $.50 PER FOOT. For me that is $22.00 a night or $154 per week - for permission to anchor. I have been to many marinas around the world that charge less than that.

I chose to bypass the Bahamas when they imposed the $300 cruising permit. Have sailed past them a few times since.

The small town I live in has a marina that recently raised their rate over 50%. The head of the port authority board said "I know boaters and they have deep pockets." I skip them too.

Paying outrageous fees only encourages more fees. Boycott them.

End of rant.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:15   #81

You give a new meaning to cheap. We've sailed to The Bahamas 15 or 20 times over the years. The wters are beautiful, the people are friendly and the cruising experience is more than worth the cruising fees. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19   #82

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
You give a new meaning to cheap. We've sailed to The Bahamas 15 or 20 times over the years. The wters are beautiful, the people are friendly and the cruising experience is more than worth the cruising fees. Bob
And their target market has been identified. They'll probably find enough members to continue raising their rates until they're charging the same as a full service marina.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:40   #83

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
If you think the Bahamas are good for you, great. Have you tried the Caribbean? The South Pacific?

There are many beautiful places in the world - many are more beautiful than the Bahamas. Many where visitors are not viewed as the cash cow. I spend a lot of money in these places for food, supplies, entertainment, etc. I do not see it as fair of reasonable for me to pay for the privilege of visiting places where I help the local economy.

I do not think predatory fees that do not go towards the resources that I use are reasonable.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:00   #84

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
A fly over of the north creek at Shroud Cay, the one creek where motorized vessels are permitted.
Looks pretty stunning.

SB, you’re not suggesting people disregard the rules and not pay just b/c they can likely get away with it?

It’s their part, their land, their country. When I go to a foreign land there are usually a lot of rules I don’t agree with, but I am a visitor so I respect and follow them. It seems pretty arrogant to suggest, we know better than the people who live and work there as to what they need.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:01   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
If you think the Bahamas are good for you, great. Have you tried the Caribbean? The South Pacific?

There are many beautiful places in the world - many are more beautiful than the Bahamas. Many where visitors are not viewed as the cash cow. I spend a lot of money in these places for food, supplies, entertainment, etc. I do not see it as fair of reasonable for me to pay for the privilege of visiting places where I help the local economy.

I do not think predatory fees that do not go towards the resources that I use are reasonable.
Got it. You're not going to the Bahamas. Sounds good. I don't think they'll care, but thanks for telling us here at the forum a few times..

Cruising the Bahamas is still on my list of things to do though.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14   #86

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Looks pretty stunning.

SB, you’re not suggesting people disregard the rules and not pay just b/c they can likely get away with it?

It’s their part, their land, their country. When I go to a foreign land there are usually a lot of rules I don’t agree with, but I am a visitor so I respect and follow them. It seems pretty arrogant to suggest, we know better than the people who live and work there as to what they need.
The bigger problem is how to pay?? Would you dinghy 5+nm to pay?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:20   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Discouraging move by the Exuma Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
It is not $.50, it is $.50 PER FOOT. For me that is $22.00 a night or $154 per week - for permission to anchor. I have been to many marinas around the world that charge less than that.

I chose to bypass the Bahamas when they imposed the $300 cruising permit. Have sailed past them a few times since.

The small town I live in has a marina that recently raised their rate over 50%. The head of the port authority board said "I know boaters and they have deep pockets." I skip them too.

Paying outrageous fees only encourages more fees. Boycott them.

End of rant.

Cheapest Nordic 44 I've found is $108,000... guess $154/week must hurt a lot.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:22   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New daily anchoring fees for Exuma Land and Sea Park

Never know.. maybe they'll dinghy out to you and knock on your hull at 0600 for the fee..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:25   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
The bigger problem is how to pay?? Would you dinghy 5+nm to pay?
Probably not, although that might depend on the repercussions, as well as how badly I wanted to visit. I’d certainly go much further than that to clear in through customs. So it’s not like we cruisers won’t or can’t do it. It just comes down to a cost-benefit type of analysis I suppose.

In this case I guess I’d wait for them to show up to collect the fee, or perhaps pay the fine. But I wouldn’t intend NOT to pay just b/c I don’t agree with their rules (which I thought was the tenor or the discussion).
Old 05-03-2018, 12:32   #90

Cruisers crying poverty is really not going to garner a lot sympathy. Most of us ARE rich — especially compared to most lesser-developed countries.

Yes, there are outliers (I may be one ), but even the poorest amongst us are rich my global standards. If you honestly can’t afford the fee, then don’t go.

The world is a big place, and I’ve never paid for anchoring anywhere I’ve been. But when I go to a foreign land I follow their rules, no matter how asinine I think they are.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, fees