Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 21:22   #121

Boat: Custom 55
Re: My boat's too big... I hear it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Let me guess, lack of maintenance?
Reminds me that I haven't looked at my cable in a while...
Old 17-10-2017, 06:08   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazarac View Post
Came in hot last summer. Went for reverse, stuck in fwd.
My favorite story is coming in to the slip in my Islander 32. Just as I
put it in reverse after I am already committed to the slip, theAtomic 4 dies. Realizing that there is not enough tine to crank it, I grab a line and lasso a piling as we pass by, then I wrap it around the sheet winch, stopping us from three knots to zero, instantly, three inches from hitting the dock. My girlfriend, on her first trip on a sailboat, turns to me and says, "Wow, so that how sailors dock. Do you ever miss lassoing the piling?".
Old 17-10-2017, 08:43   #123

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Short answer:: BS
Or: people are ignorant and opinionated
Furthermore: it may be the case that, in the Med, you favor large trsnsoms and cockpits, for gathering and outdoor life
Here in sicily, a 54' is a perfectly on-average sized boat.

Point is, I would like it longer, but not larger!

That said, "too big" is beyond 24m (captain needed); and, beyond 60' hydraulics are needed
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:14   #124

Boat: Bristol 47.7

For TJ and others whose boat configurations require them to keep their speed up to maintain steerage while docking:

I find this guy's rather understated approach to his solo sailing videos refreshing compared to what has become the norm on youTube it seems. His written intro notes that he generally doesn't use his bow thrusters while docking, only when leaving the dock to help turn the bow in tight fairways. As a former US Navy pilot he likens his docking technique to a carrier landing (not really).
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:31   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
For TJ and others whose boat configurations require them to keep their speed up to maintain steerage while docking:

I find this guy's rather understated approach to his solo sailing videos refreshing compared to what has become the norm on youTube it seems. His written intro notes that he generally doesn't use his bow thrusters while docking, only when leaving the dock to help turn the bow in tight fairways. As a former US Navy pilot he likens his docking technique to a carrier landing (not really).
I'm at sea right now on a VSAT internet system-no videos. Too bad. I like the carrier landing idea, though. It makes it seem more 'top gun' than it really is.
Call me Maverick. Well, maybe Goose.
Old 17-10-2017, 20:46   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
I'm at sea right now on a VSAT internet system-no videos. Too bad. I like the carrier landing idea, though. It makes it seem more 'top gun' than it really is.
Call me Maverick. Well, maybe Goose.
Ok Goose. The vid is almost 20 mins. long so you definitely want to wait 'til you're back. Pretty cool that you can check in with us from out at sea though!
Old 17-10-2017, 21:36   #127

Quote:
Ok Goose. The vid is almost 20 mins. long so you definitely want to wait 'til you're back. Pretty cool that you can check in with us from out at sea though!
The VSAT's really nice. The package that we're paying for is $2500/mo, and it's generally 256k, but unlimited. The gear cost about thirty grand, though.

Way outside the budget of cruisers, but it has completely changed going to sea for us on the commercial side. It used to feel super isolated out here-maybe you could get something on the AM radio or maybe the BBC or VOA on short wave. The old Inmarsat A units cost $10/min for voice, 3 min. minimum.

Now we've got reliable internet (if slow), XM radios, and all the calls we want to make for a nickel a minute. Technology has made life immeasurably better out here, that's for sure.
Old 17-10-2017, 21:43   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

We did a little late winter cruise of your part of the world this year, by the way. Falmouth was a great place for a visit. All of western England, for that matter.

If only the weather were a little better!
Good weather only on 4 Wednesdays a year.... but not guaranteed.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 22:47   #129

Here's a (mostly) big boat docking question I could use some help on. Unlike how some boats respond, I can maintain good steerage on my boat at low speed. In fact it's fair to say I have very good control over the bow at almost any speed in fwd gear, especially to starboard given my clockwise prop rotation. In contrast, I have significant prop walk (to port) in reverse gear. This often plays to my advantage backing into a slip, since I can get the stern to reliably turn in to the slip while swinging the bow out where it needs to go to get properly lined up. At that point I just keep the helm hard over to port & use fwd & reverse on the throttle to zig-zag my way in backwards.

OK, so far so good. But oddly enough docking bow-to is often where I screw up. All is well until I put it into reverse to stop the boat, at which point the prop walk almost immediately swings the bow to starboard and towards the dock (or piling). A port side tie-up can make things easier since I can get a midships aft spring line on, keep the throttle at fwd idle with the helm to starboard, and get the boat to sit still. But that depends on how much room I have in the slip to accommodate the boat lying at an angle until I can get add'l lines on.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the boat stopped w/o the prop walk causing the bow to swing so dramatically? I recently took some pitch out of the prop to match engine revs more closely. Helped a bit on prop walk but not enough. And this does not involve dockings at my home slip, so not realistic to have lines in place ahead of time.
Old 17-10-2017, 22:54   #130

Quote:
Here's a (mostly) big boat docking question I could use some help on. Unlike how some boats respond, I can maintain good steerage on my boat at low speed. In fact it's fair to say I have very good control over the bow at almost any speed in fwd gear, especially to starboard given my clockwise prop rotation. In contrast, I have significant prop walk (to port) in reverse gear. This often plays to my advantage backing into a slip, since I can get the stern to reliably turn in to the slip while swinging the bow out where it needs to go to get properly lined up. At that point I just keep the helm hard over to port & use fwd & reverse on the throttle to zig-zag my way in backwards.

OK, so far so good. But oddly enough docking bow-to is often where I screw up. All is well until I put it into reverse to stop the boat, at which point the prop walk almost immediately swings the bow to starboard and towards the dock (or piling). A port side tie-up can make things easier since I can get a midships aft spring line on, keep the throttle at fwd idle with the helm to starboard, and get the boat to sit still. But that depends on how much room I have in the slip to accommodate the boat lying at an angle until I can get add'l lines on.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the boat stopped w/o the prop walk causing the bow to swing so dramatically? I recently took some pitch out of the prop to match engine revs more closely. Helped a bit on prop walk but not enough. And this does not involve dockings at my home slip, so not realistic to have lines in place ahead of time.
Well, there are just two things you can do. (assuming starboard side to here, port side to not an issue with port walk)

if you've got enough room between you and your neighbor, approach the dock at a shallow angle, maybe 10 degrees, when you're just about in the slip, kick the rudder hard to port and get the stern swinging, then hit reverse. If you get it right, the boat will stop at just about the same time that the prop walk overcomes that swing to starboard on the stern.

Otherwise, reverse early and with minimal RPM. I've found that most boats in reverse at idle speed don't have the big kick sideways that a short, hard shot does.

That's about all you can do if there are no lines invovlved, I reckon.
Old 17-10-2017, 23:24   #131

Quote:
Well, there are just two things you can do. (assuming starboard side to here, port side to not an issue with port walk)

if you've got enough room between you and your neighbor, approach the dock at a shallow angle, maybe 10 degrees, when you're just about in the slip, kick the rudder hard to port and get the stern swinging, then hit reverse. If you get it right, the boat will stop at just about the same time that the prop walk overcomes that swing to starboard on the stern.

Otherwise, reverse early and with minimal RPM. I've found that most boats in reverse at idle speed don't have the big kick sideways that a short, hard shot does.

When all is said and done getting off the dock SH is way harder than docking.
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 13:21   #132

Quote:

Both good suggestions. I've actually probably tried both but not knowingly! Option 1 may be tough in a crosswind or current, but then that could actually help, depending. I'll experiment a little more in open water with option 2. I think you may be right since I don't recall it being a big issue when backing out of a slip in reverse idle. It could actually be a combo of both options that does the trick. Thanks!
Old 18-10-2017, 13:24   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I know a couple who sailed around the world on a 70 footer. It depends on one's experience and how well the boat is rigged for two people.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 13:24   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazarac View Post
When all is said and done getting off the dock SH is way harder than docking.
It certainly can be, especially if you're pressed in by wind and/or current. Lines looped once around cleats or pilings and then maybe once around a cockpit winch (or not) are often your friend. Hard part is then getting the line up & out of the water w/o help.
Old 18-10-2017, 13:29   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I know a couple who sailed around the world on a 70 footer. It depends on one's experience and how well the boat is rigged for two people.
Or maybe how well it's rigged for only one person, since I imagine the passages required for such a trip would mean one on watch & the other below sleeping.

Tags
boat