Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 12:44   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
. Worked like an apprentice for a rigger for a week as well.:
Well that is different, a whole week, absolutely different.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
What I see in this part of the world, the bigger and more expensive the boat is, the more expert professional skippers are sought and obviously for more $$$$
I've seen very few if not at all an owner who is willing/capable of handling such a large boat like Privilege 7..

Charter is a whole different issue. Charter companies normally never give a 50+ cat as a bareboat, but always with a skipper..

Cheers

Yeloya
I hear what you say.. but I cannot possibly comment further..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:55   #78
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Someone suggested that they use their dinghy. My comment is that it would have been quite dangerous to get in the dinghy at 45-50 knots and steep, square seas. No one who thought about it would recommend that. The video portrays the calm after the wind passed through.

Ann
Now that I'm all over this thread anyway, let's add what I would do

I would cut away the rig first. Then sit with my crew in the salon of this stable unsinkable platform with cocktails on the table because it's a cat and nothing will be spilled or broken. Then when the storm has passed I would take her into port on one or two engines, whatever still works. If no engines work I would push with the dinghy

I have used a dinghy with 50kts wind; the big problem is lack of visual range. Even with a snorkeling mask there is only so much you can see. But the dinghy is fine and the wind actually flattens the seas as the tops blow off.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:00   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Well that is different, a whole week, absolutely different.
I know you mean this in a disrespectful way but indeed, I came out a different person

I can recommend it to every sailor, you won't believe what you can learn in a week, even when you're not an engineer. Riggers I met don't mind at all to do this when they re-rig your boat. Mine even made me buy a specific book about my type of rigging etc.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:03   #80

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
I know you mean this in a disrespectful way but indeed, I came out a different person

I can recommend it to every sailor, you won't believe what you can learn in a week, even when you're not an engineer. Riggers I met don't mind at all to do this when they re-rig your boat. Mine even made me buy a specific book about my type of rigging etc.
Agree, a week is a lot of time to learn the basic, and even more...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:14   #81
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
No, I call ignorance because that is what it is. I am sure I can come up with citations from printed literature, not 100% sure I can links to it on-line. And I don't feel like getting my books out for a post that will get a "whatever..." reaction at best. Life's too short for that

I am not a naval architect but I am an engineer and have done many (dynamic) load calculations and read every book about sailboat design there is. Worked like an apprentice for a rigger for a week as well. I'm not sure if your comment was suggesting that I am ignorant on the subject as well, but can assure you that I don't post BS

So if someone who has an option that differs from yours and doesn't produce citations is ignorant then what are you when you don't produce citations, Lazy? Pot calling kettle black.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:19   #82

"I am not a naval architect but I have lots of opinions and I am always right even when I am not."
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:23   #83

Boat: Valiant 40

Whole lotta speculation flying about in this thread. Regarding the Privilege, for all we know he called his insurance company and they said "get off the boat" and he called the coast guard and they said "if we come out, we're picking you all up, we're not coming back." Maybe the captain is a numbskull, maybe they're a super sailor, who the hell knows. Drawing conclusions on his/her knowledge, skill, and judgement based on what you see on a helmet cam is sort if idiotic.

As for "I've sailed in 50 knots, 50 knots blah blah blah" yeah, you have, and you were OK. I have, and I'm OK too. But I'm not going to judge anyone else based on that experience. There is sea state, the real issue to consider, and just plain bad luck with the wrong gust and the wrong wave and so on.

As for riggers, I know one with with a bunch of patents under his belt who designs rigs for custom ocean racing sleds. Just because he doesn't have a structural engineering degree doesn't mean he's bad at math.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:26   #84

Boat: LAGOON 400

i believe finite element analysis is used to calculate boat loads.

This includes large number of sensors around the boat and sending it to real conditions and collecting data and calculating max/average/mean forces, etc.

I hope they use similar method for monos. Would hate to calculate dynamic loads when mono rolling. Again hard to see how rolling can be simulated. Reality is loads are too high to make boat practical (not too heavy and aestethic) so, DO NOT ROLL YOUR MONO IN NEXT 3M BREAKER!

It is not designed to roll
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:33   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

Assuming that the skipper is not a real idiot (which is very unlikely for a 2 mio USD boat) there must have been something very unusual.

Cheers
Yeloya

Quote:
Why does 2 million make someone an expert sailor.. have you not heard the saying 'More money than sense..'

That's a valid point Boatie, but Yeloya didn't say that. He said that "the skipper is not a real idiot"

I could be wrong in what he meant, but unless one is a member of the lucky sperm club, a complete idiot doesn't amass enough resources to own a $2 million dollar yacht. ( assuming the skipper is the owner)

You would know much better than most about the average sailing experience of rich yacht owners. It will be interesting to read more about this incident.

Cheers...
Old 08-03-2017, 13:34   #86

A quick update, the boat is sinking at Port of Aguilas, Murcia, Spanish coast.

I dont understand why no one is doing nothing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f19f11.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	142700   Click image for larger version

Name:	17155728_669119153290273_3418382033455479096_n.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	142701  

Click image for larger version

Name:	17190443_669119193290269_2905785038964038815_n.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	142702  
Old 08-03-2017, 13:49   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
That's a valid point Boatie, but Yeloya didn't say that. He said that " Assuming the skipper is not a real idiot"

I could be wrong in what he meant, but unless one is a member of the lucky sperm club, a complete idiot doesn't amass enough resources to own a $2 million dollar yacht. ( assuming the skipper is the owner)

You would know much better than most about the average sailing experience of rich yacht owners. It will be interesting to read more about this incident.

Cheers...
I assumed it would be the owner on board.. they can on occasion push a skipper into stupid actions..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:52   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
A quick update, the boat is sinking at Port of Aguilas, Murcia, Spanish coast.

I dont understand why no one is doing nothing...
It may have been just towed in, moments before the pictures were taken. And someone did do something, from the looks of those floatation bags.
Old 08-03-2017, 13:53   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
TRUMP.

No wait, he was born on third base. Nevermind.
Old 08-03-2017, 13:55   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It may have been just towed in, moments before the pictures were taken. And someone did do something, from the looks of those floatation bags.
I dont think so, according to the residents in town, the SAR tow the boat there and dissapear, no one come to check the boat or do something,, i guess the insurance need to rush in this one..According to the residents, i dont know for sure...

Tags
distress, hull, multihull