Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 04:31   #46
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Multihull in distress.

Wonder how long it would have taken them to make the 8 miles to shore in that RIB hanging of the stern.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:50   #47

Any news on the vessel? Did she sink or has she been salvaged?

LarsKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:07   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
There's a few of us really. Plus the manufacturers that I spoke to and the rigger that I spoke to. But then Jedi's comment wasn't about whether they're engineered to fall over before capsizing; it was about the loads being incalculable.

Are you seriously suggesting you can't calculate loads on a multi for the purposes of rig design?!

Exactly, ask any rigger: cat rigging is oversized until it stops failing too frequently. I'm really not joking or trying to slam cats... and it is not the static wind load which is easy to calculate; it is the dynamic loading on the rigging with both wind gusts and waves. The heeling of a monohull is a dampener that the cat doesn't have. Most advantages come with side effects and this is an example. Cats must renew their rigging in a much more strict regime than mono's because of this: not getting away with 20-30 years like some mono's can.

It isn't that bad: some production mono's that had their keels fall off or loose rigs overboard, were fixed in the same way (make stronger until it holds) but the engineers didn't have the excuse of not being able to calculate... they just made it too cheap.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exactly, ask any rigger: cat rigging is oversized until it stops failing too frequently. I'm really not joking or trying to slam cats... and it is not the static wind load which is easy to calculate; it is the dynamic loading on the rigging with both wind gusts and waves. The heeling of a monohull is a dampener that the cat doesn't have. Most advantages come with side effects and this is an example. Cats must renew their rigging in a much more strict regime than mono's because of this: not getting away with 20-30 years like some mono's can.

It isn't that bad: some production mono's that had their keels fall off or loose rigs overboard, were fixed in the same way (make stronger until it holds) but the engineers didn't have the excuse of not being able to calculate... they just made it too cheap.
A rigger is not the same as a structural engineer. Yes, you can design for shock loads.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:29   #50

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Wonder how long it would have taken them to make the 8 miles to shore in that RIB hanging of the stern.
I agree that the rib could have been used, where had the wind gone??? even the seas were relatively calm, i suspect the damage came from a storm that had been and gone, this cat appeared to still be floating well wonder why they couldn't motor the thing to shore, seems a bit odd this whole rescue.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:29   #51

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsKessel View Post
Any news on the vessel? Did she sink or has she been salvaged?

Its docked in Aguilas Harbour, Spanish coast close to Almeria....The Privilege have as far i know 4 real watertight bulkheads, 2 in the bows and 2 aft....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:29   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A rigger is not the same as a structural engineer. Yes, you can design for shock loads.
Really?! What kind of education does a rigger need before designing rigs for sailboats? Also, please point us to citations about designing for shock loads on a catamaran

Why post when you don't really know? Just whacking the Jedi huh
Old 08-03-2017, 06:44   #53

Quote:
Not true..
Old 08-03-2017, 06:49   #54
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Not true..

So all riggers are also structural engineers?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:52   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Really?! What kind of education does a rigger need before designing rigs for sailboats? Also, please point us to citations about designing for shock loads on a catamaran

Why post when you don't really know? Just whacking the Jedi huh
Riggers aren't the ones designing the rig. They are installing it. Most replace in kind or by rule of thumb.

Any structural engineer worth their salt can design for shock loads.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:59   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So all riggers are also structural engineers?
At some point yes, look if you come to me with clean deck , without any OEM back support to redesign a new rig , nil, 0 ... no pictures or whatever info to help me to figúrate how looks like your previous rig, i have a tedious job in advance to redesign a new rig for you, from Wall thicknes to spreaders placement, angle from the chainplates to the tangs, lenght of the spar related to your draft, wire size, tangs and chainplates thicknes, pin sizes, etc,etc,,
Old 08-03-2017, 07:01   #57

Quote:
Riggers aren't the ones designing the rig. They are installing it. Most replace in kind or by rule of thumb.

Any structural engineer worth their salt can design for shock loads.
Again, Riggers can redesign a new rig or replace a existing rig...
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39   #58

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

I think it is a problem with the flyingbridge designed multihulls. In a sudden hard blow let go the mainsheet. But how to do that when in shelter one storey lower?
For me, as most of the time single hander the flybridge design was a no go. Not to forget the height of the boom above deck. You need to be valiant to climb to the boom to reef the main if something happend to the endless reefing lines.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56   #59

And oh well, i just found it that the Multi is a Privilege serie 7, as far i see they use a Carbon fiber mast without spreaders, not my cup of tea, i remember a old generation of Catanas with those CF sticks without spreaders, imposible to tune... Later the Spar maker quit doing bussines..
Old 08-03-2017, 09:23   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You're joking, right? A rigger may have apprentices that are at the bottom of the ladder and who do the grunt work but they can't call themselves rigger. A rigger can design a rig for any monohull, from chainplates, spars, spreaders to standing rigging. For cats they use rule of thumb like I explained before...

Quote:
Any structural engineer worth their salt can design for shock loads
They tried for cats and failed every time. Again, when you make such bold statements but you can't come up with citations then it's nothing more than ignorance or at best opinion. I'm pretty sure I can come up with citations to support my position while you seem to sidestep and avoid it altogether which demonstrates that you can't back it up.

There's a rigger in this thread supporting my position so how long have you been in the naval architecture or rigging business to know it better?

Tags
distress, hull, multihull