Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 06:48   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Iridium Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjuliano View Post
Therein lies the problem, the save button on android does not offer a location and hunting with the file manager isn’t finding them.

Regarding Tiffs and Jpegs –*they are not for OpenCPN, just for me to look at.

What tablet are you using? Are you using Iridium Mail and web? (I have been using this method when I have a cellular or WiFi connection – non-iridium – for more than six years. Iridium is the new wrinkle. I have used Predictwind via Iridium for the last 18 months, but now I want to load OpenCPN via Iridium.)

All ideas are welcome.

I use a ruggedized waterproof Samsung Tab Active Android tablet, with the standard Iridium suite of apps. They work very well and I didn't have any problem dealing with the file attachments received through SailDocs. You need to find with a File app where the downloaded files are stored, and/or change it in the mail app, which you can. Then I just attached the tablet to my nav computer with a USB cable and transferred the files that way.

Was very straightforward and I'm sure it will work for you if you'll root around in the tablet a little more.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:20   #17

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I use a ruggedized waterproof Samsung Tab Active Android tablet, with the standard Iridium suite of apps. They work very well and I didn't have any problem dealing with the file attachments received through SailDocs. You need to find with a File app where the downloaded files are stored, and/or change it in the mail app, which you can. Then I just attached the tablet to my nav computer with a USB cable and transferred the files that way.
It took a while and some help from a software engineer who once worked for me.

[The Iridium Software is quite old (2012-2013) and does not ask to have its permissions set during install.On my tablets, running Android 7.1.1 and 9, no permissions were set, including the ability to write to storage. Once that was set the Gribs were stored in Downloads in the internal memory.

Thanks for your help.
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 21:38   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
personally, I would rent one. A new, much faster model should be out in the next 12 months. An external antenna will improve signal strength. For voice, it might not matter as much as for weather.
Unfortunately, the new package will require big SAT antenna and you'll be looking at mucho moolah for monthly fees. Don't hold your breath... !

Cheers,
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 15:44   #19

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Iridium Go problem with initializing ?

Just received my new Iridium Go .followed the instructions and have it charged,however it seems stuck on INITIALIZING SEARCHING like a loop and cannot get it out of it.
any ideas?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 16:23   #20

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We have an IridiumGo and an InReach. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

The IG does much more and we used it frequently in the Sea of Cortez for two years and then during a Pacific crossing this year. It was invaluable for weather and email. Its ok for voice.

I strongly recommend the external antenna. The connecting cable is very inflexible and hard to install (at least on our boat) but provides seamless satellite connectivity. We used the device for about a year without an external antenna by placing it on a solar panel but it often dropped the call/connection while sailing in the Sea of Cortez. One caveat that we learned while crossing, is that the outside antenna is only for communication and does not provide an accurate GPS signal. Hence the coordinates displayed by the IG inside the boat can be off by hundreds of miles. Our track before we knew about the limited functionality of the external antenna had us travelling overland over the Baja Peninsula and back again. When I mentioned this in a daily posting (we were participating in the Pacific Puddlejump), the person that created the web interface mentioned that if the IG is inside it often does not get a strong enough GPS signal to provide reliable coordinates and the outside antenna (marine package) does not provide any GPS signal to the device.

We have a pre-paid Iridium plan and if I was doing it again I would probably buy an unlimited plan from PredictWind. They throw in a bunch of extra stuff plus some additional SIM cards so that you can terminate the plan and then restart it when you need it. In any case it is much more expensive than the basic InReach plan.

The InReach is also a good device that we have on board as a backup. Text messaging and email work very well. It seems to be less sensitive to where it is in terms of sending and receiving. The basic package is about Can$35/month and it can be suspended and restarted anytime. When suspended it is about Can$5/month. The initial purchase price of the device is also significantly less than the IG but it also does less.

Good luck and have fund in Baja.
Old 12-09-2019, 17:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Was very straightforward and I'm sure it will work for you if you'll root around in the tablet a little more.
=============================================
Dockhead
you have considerable experience with Iridium Go.any ideas as to why this loop I am getting after I boot the system goes on SEARCHING INITIALIZING SEARCHING and that goes on and on?
thanks
David
new system out of the box
Old 13-09-2019, 08:46   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
=============================================
Dockhead
you have considerable experience with Iridium Go.any ideas as to why this loop I am getting after I boot the system goes on SEARCHING INITIALIZING SEARCHING and that goes on and on?
thanks
David
new system out of the box

No idea. Perhaps the antenna doesn't have a view of the sky? Do you have a valid SIM card inserted?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 13:00   #23

thank you
yes to both questions, clear view and sim is the original came with the box.
Will contact PredictWind then, they seem to be very helpful.
Old 13-09-2019, 13:10   #24

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
thank you
yes to both questions, clear view and sim is the original came with the box.
Will contact PredictWind then, they seem to be very helpful.
Without wanting to sound ridiculous, have you lit up the SIM card with a contract from an Iridium service provider? When I activate my IG, I get SIM in the mail but then it has to be activated. It doesn’t just work.

Hope that doesn’t sound condescending
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 14:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Without wanting to sound ridiculous, have you lit up the SIM card with a contract from an Iridium service provider? When I activate my IG, I get SIM in the mail but then it has to be activated. It doesn’t just work.

Hope that doesn’t sound condescending
============================================
No,you are not condesending when addressing a geriatric sailor high tech challenged.
And you are more likely correct, the unit came with a sim and I "assumed" that should be enough to at least initialize, however, started to suspect your point, just finished ordering couple of sims from PredictWind, they are now closed for the weekend but I guess the sim card enclosed in the box is not totally functional until it gets somehow registered by a provider.
Truly appreciate you taking the time
cheers
David
Old 13-09-2019, 14:52   #26

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
============================================
No,you are not condesending when addressing a geriatric sailor high tech challenged.
And you are more likely correct, the unit came with a sim and I "assumed" that should be enough to at least initialize, however, started to suspect your point, just finished ordering couple of sims from PredictWind, they are now closed for the weekend but I guess the sim card enclosed in the box is not totally functional until it gets somehow registered by a provider.
Truly appreciate you taking the time
cheers
David
Hi David,

I chose to get my data from Predict Wind directly. Same price as anyone else and they refine their software from the higher cash flow. Up to you of course... dont feel badly about your initialization struggles... I had that too.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:50   #27

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

I just re-setup my Iriduim today getting ready for November.

A few tips.
1. The folks at predict wind are very helpful ask them any dumb question you want, I know I have.

2. Get a backup sim, I think they are 10 bucks. This allows you to turn off your subscription at any time. When you want to turn in on again like I did today, you open the back and put in new sim. PROTIP take a pick of the numbers inside under the battery and on the sim card. Easy to access and magnify if needed.

3. Go to Predictwind and pick your package. Once done an email will be sent confirming activation.

4. Get away from WiFi and try your phone.
Old 26-09-2019, 12:03   #28

thanks
agree Predictwind help is excellent and have been very very helpful'
to summarize my problems
Tried to initialize and register using the enclosed sim card WRONG
Once I purchased the sims cards from Predictwind (2) one as extra, installed and initializing and registering went smooth and easy,
Since then have used the apps as recommended and able to download and update my gribs files, I have also upgraded my subscription to Unlimited and all is well.
Yesterday sent a couple of messages out and received as an email from friends still having some issues but I believe just learning curve and they Pedictwind just a mail ot chat away awesome service.
Thank you for all your help,I am good.
Old 26-09-2019, 18:36   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Only thing I didn't see mentioned is if you don't plan on using it all the time. The unlimited plan is the way to go if using Predict Wind. Different providers have different costs for suspension of service. Make sure you check that out.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 05:55   #30

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

when it first came out it certainly had it's issues, most seem to be worked out at this point. as others have said unless you spend a lot of time offshore you might be better served renting one. we rented one when we brought our new boat to new england from the caribbean and it worked great. Id download a weather update every day and send out a position report every day.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium