Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2011, 10:29   #1

Iridium Phone - ISatPhone Pro VS Iridium Extreme

I am looking for an Iridium Satellite Phone

IThe ISatPhone Pro is significantly cheaper than the Iridium Extreme or 9555

How is coverage of the two compared.

I need access all over the province of Quebec, Canada
I cannot afford not to have access to the network at any time or any place.

Sylvain
Fauvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:47   #2

Location: Outfitting in Mobile Alabama for a homeward voyage in 2013 to Astoria Oregon - NW Passage or Panama Canal? Depends of crewing interest - North or South?
Boat: 55' steel expedition trawler GREY GOOSE
Re: Iridium Phone - ISatPhone Pro VS Iridium Extreme

Lets make this simple: (its all in the details of can you (antenna) see the satellite(s))

1. Inmarsat (ISatPhone antenna) must see the geostationary satellite over the EQUATOR. Hence, your position and view to the "south" must be a clear line of sight - not blocked, else the connection is dropped or impossible.

2. Iridium uses Low Earth Orbiting (LEO) satellites which appear over the North horizon and travel southward disappearing over the south horizon - elapse time is about 3-5 minutes - the connection is then handed-off to any available Iridium satellite in an attempt to keep it up and running. There in lies the challenge - with only 66 world satellites it is possible that the next satellite in view (to the antenna) will not arrive in time to make a transparent 'hand-off' and the connection will drop. The good news is the protocol supports break-restart so you can continue with SLOW speed data exchanges, i.e. text email or GRIB weather files etc. For voice comms you will need to re-dial.

So your choice is simple - can you ALWAYS see towards the 'south' (SE/SW) (check coverage map for Longitude for the Atlantic or Pacific or Indian Ocean satellites, i.e. 15W, 31W, 65W and 182E) at a given elevation (Google Inmarsat elevation map). The further North you are the smaller the elevation angle above the horizon and the greater chance it will be blocked by objects such as buildings and mountains.

So the simple answer is Iridium offers the greatest and most flexible satcom connection solution be it on land or sea unless you are at a fixed location with an unrestricted view to the Inmarsat satellite over the equator. Outside mounted antennas offer the greatest and best connection chance.

Questions? Use Google - its your friend.

Smooth seas,

Doug

BTW - I use Iridium on my boat because of the many north/south worldwide cruising locations and in particular anchorages which are typically protected and only overhead Iridium satellites are visible for satcom connections. If you require high-speed Internet then Inmarsat Fleetbroadband is a great system - for a price.
drpohl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium