Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 16:38   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Help me not look stupid

Nice basic commercial rain gear will be cheap and salter then the fancy stuff at the marine shops. Shoes, just get ones with non-marking soles and some rain boots also with non marking soles, for now. Hat, gloves from a camping/ hiking place will do.

Grundens is US, but something like this in the UK would work. Then put some dirt grease at the cuffs and a few salt stains and you're golden.

Welcome to Grundéns USA!

Your own lifejacket with Drings for jacklines. Maybe overkill, but nice to have long term.

I remember seeing some folks in a fish and chip place in Sausalito a few months back. They looked like they had just spent $1000 at west marine. His and hers docksiders, shorts, shirts, tilly hats, and lifejackets. All brand new. Me I was wearing everyday clothes and the only sign I sailed and lived aboard was the big A$$ floaty thingy on my key chain.

Don't forget the floaty thingy on your key chain BTW.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 16:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In my experience, "deck shoes" are about the most slippery type out there. Go figure. Years ago, for racing, I picked up a pair of racketball shoes with that gummy brown ribbed sole on them... far better than Sperry Topsiders!
In Aus, Choice magazine did a test on sailing shoes. The best ones for grip were the classic canvas Dunlop Volley tennis shoes.

Cheapest by far too. And much less smelly in warm climates.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 17:44   #33

Hi,

I generally think most of the advice above is good, but I don't recommend jeans for sailing. Good cotton jeans hold a ton of moisture, will get heavy, whick and make you cold. I would recommend a synthetic pant. Women might be able to recommend a type of non whicking legging they like (my wife's already asleep so I can't ask her).

As for foot wear, there is lots of good advice, I wear crocs for all of life's activities, except at work where I am required to wear steel toes. Crocs can be cold though.

For weather gear">foul weather gear I would recommend a water proof breathable material like gore tex, but that can be expensive if you are on a budget.

A sun hat and sunglasses are a good idea too. Some people like sailing gloves, but I hate them. I'll go bare hands down to -3 or -4 Celsius. But I don't know how cold your hands get. If you're hands do get cold, I think simple leather gloves is the way to go due to there breathability.

The bottom 3 paragraphs are just my personal preference, and may or may not work for you, but I do really recommend avoiding jeans.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 21:40   #34

You guys crack me up! LOL

I do have some decent, warm under-layer clothing, (to early in the morning to remember the correct term). Doing archery outside isn't always a warm sport in the UK, so am well aquatinted with the concept of layers.

I don't wear jean very often to begin with, so will work out a nice alternative for sailing.

You've give me lots of good ideas. Going to go check out some stores this weekend, try some things on, see what works. I don't want to look like the couple you saw sailorchic34. Maybe I'll just wrestle with the dog in the grass for a bit if I buy something new. LOL

Floaty thing for keys - check.
What about a zip lock or water proof bag for phone and camera?

MG
Old 16-04-2015, 22:09   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ah zip lock bags are the best and a sure sign your a hard core sailor.

You can also get a dry bag, which is a water proof duffel type of bag. Again have the dog play with it and it will look salty in no time. Use the dry bag to carry your foulies, boots, etc. Generally when learning to sail the phone and camera stays below, unless they are waterproof. Really the phone stays below, generally off and in the dry bag. I know so not how the modern world works.

Don't put the phone/camera in a pocket unless it's in a baggy or two and the pocket zips. Seems phones love jumping out of pockets, normally where they can fall into the water.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 23:00   #36

Some great and funny posts here.

I've seen far too many butt cracks of guys working the winches on Wednesday night races while wearing their Levis. Don't do it.

Gumtree sounds like a great site. I just added that to my favourites bar.

There is a French maker of foul weather gear who design primarily for the commercial fishing trade but also make very high quality sailing gear at much better prices than the yachties. They are called "Guy Cotten", are sold in England as well as online and elsewhere, and I highly recommend them if you buy new. My 2 cents of the 6 bucks you've already heard here.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 02:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post

[...]

Gumtree sounds like a great site. I just added that to my favourites bar.

There is a French maker of foul weather gear who design primarily for the commercial fishing trade but also make very high quality sailing gear at much better prices than the yachties. They are called "Guy Cotten"

[...]
You did not know about Gumtree ?

Cotten...yes, the Professional choice, but only their high end products are breathable ones.
No big deal for fishermen who keep going on deck and below, who can strip off to allow their foul gear to dry, don't forget the heat from the engine.
Not the case on a sail boat.

@ Moxie

Sorry, but I am not with you... What relevance "looking stupid" ?
In the eyes of whom ?
Is it soooo important.

Maybe you should rank your priorities like keeping warm and dry first.

True sailors do not judge a book by its cover.
You are new to the sport and your gear is new, so what ?

Quoting you :
"They are predicting a warm summer for England this year, which is nice. But they don't tell you, that the summers here rarely last more than a week or two. So hoping for a warm day come mid May. But still, gonna dress warm".

Where did you dig this information from ?
Weather cannot be predicted that much ahead.

If you do not mind a few facts and figures, Ipswich/Suffolk/UK average air Temp in april : 12 C.
average sea water Temp : 9C.
These are AVERAGE Temp, measured "downtown" Ipswich, add wind chill factor at sea.
As you can see we are not talking Bahamas or Pacific "paradise" islands cruising, here.
You definitely want to be dressed accordingly.
Based on first hand experience sailing in May in the Nord sea, unless exceptionally warm temperature forget about deck shoes.
Rubber boots will keep not only your feet dry but most importantly warm.
Hat ?
Wollen or fleece.
Suncream, yes, for its moisturising effect, same goes for your hands, Neutrogena and a protective lipstick, unless you want to look like late Florence Arthaud (RIP) when you turn 50.
Ipswich/ the North sea is one of the best place to learn sailing, tides (today 102, you will see 4,2 m difference between high tide and low tide), associated strong tidal currents, unpredictable weather (check English versus French and Dutch forecast) today Dunkirk North sea forecast (just a few miles away East) is issued with a 70% confidence ratio, weathermen cannot predict how far the high pressure will stretch.
Did I mention the crowed traffic ?
Naah did not.

From TSS lanes in the East (but I doubt your instructor will take you there), ferries (Harwich- Hoek van Holland), fishing boats and so forth, if you can sail in this beautiful playground, you can sail anywhere else.
Enjoy yourself !
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 07:54   #38

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34

EVERYBODY! even the old salts and experts was a newbie at some point.
Relax and enjoy. Best wishes.
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:05   #39

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

Hey MoxiGirl - I love your approach of the gonna-be sailor. As a former gonna-be sailor I would like to share my experience and opinion with you. It is you first time on a sail boat, who cares if you look the part, don't waste your money because you are going to need it if you are serious. Take your best rain gear and white soled running shoes in a soft bag. Spend your time reading practical info on sailing, navigation, terminology, etc. instead of worrying about appearance so when it comes time to take your self sailing you will have the required knowledge base and confidence.
As a gonna-be sailor I had a total of 3 daysails under my belt (as passenger) when I bought my first boat but I had read all the info about sailing that I could find so I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into. Four years later I had finished a 3.5 year trip around the world, half of it alone. Not the normal progression but totally doable for a gonna-be. I learned that if you listen to everyones advice it will be overwhelming - focus on advice from only those who have truly been there. Sailing is a fun, sometimes scary and very rewarding way to spend your time - good luck and have a great time.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:11   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Whatever you do, no hard suitcase. Couldn't believe when my guests brought hard luggage aboard.

Also, less is more. Your soft kit bag should be small. There isn't a lot of space on a boat, especially if there are lots of people.

When my daughter started sailing (on another boat, not with me), I bought her a used WW jacket at a thrift shop, a pair of rain pants (aka splash pants), and a set of kayak booties. All together under $50 cdn. She still wears these 3 years later, with no desire to upgrade.

Personally, I'm a fair weather sailor. If bad weather is coming, rather than pull out the WWG, I'll head back to my home dock and relax, nice and dry below. On occasion when I must be out in the rain, the WW jacket suffices while I hide under the dodger and let the autohelm do all the work. When I crossed the atlantic, the boat owner provided very expensive/fancy WWG for the crew. It was excellent. When we arrived in Antigua, he sent it all out to be cleaned (to suck the farts out, if possible)...and it was never seen again.

NOTE: Don't bring anything you would be upset about if it didn't come back. Things go overboard. Things get wet. Things get wrecked. Leave the camera, mp3, ipad, iphone, etc at home. Bring a good attitude and a sense of adventure and you will be fine. No jewelry, no wallet, no keys. Your pockets should be empty. If they aren't empty at the beginning of your sail, they will be at the end.

PS. If you want a good laugh, show up in high heels!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:18   #41

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Moxie -

All the info here is great. I didn't get a glimpse of the sea until I was 12 and was mesmerized. Last year we sold up and drove 3500 miles to pick up our latest boat. I was filled with questions and came to this site and others for some "inside" info. You're post has evoked some serious hilarity. (Oooh, an oxymoron...)

Fact is, a lot of sailor types look not too different than commercial fishermen. Function over form will always win. Keep it cheap and cheerful until you know this is for you. After spending a ton on top of the line stuff many years ago, I now wear a pair of white boots designed for dairy workers. They don't mark the deck, they don't slip, they're insulated and they cost $35.00 and have lasted for 6 years and counting.

You'll figure it out. Bring your best smile and get the rest of your outfit at the nearest chain store to start. I hope this is the first of many firsts in your sailing career. Enjoy!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:36   #42

MG, go with gamayun she's on top of it, by all means have a hell of a good time.
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:59   #43

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The people who look the most stupid in the beginning become the best sailors later in my opinion. The more mistakes you make now, the better!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 09:22   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The people who look the most stupid in the beginning become the best sailors later in my opinion. The more mistakes you make now, the better!
Have we ever met ??

Else, I would rather look warm, dry, happy AND stupid, than cold, wet, miserable and intelligent (should it be possible).
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 09:33   #45

You are wide open to the east wind there, so take several layers of warm wear, don't spend too much on waterproofs in case you don't like it. Try to buy the best book for beginners, "Key Facts Colour Guide, Sailing" by Barry Pickthall. It explains all you want to know to begin sailing, very simple and easily understood. You will be well briefed even before you board the yacht. All my children used this book to learn the key facts. I wish you many happy days sailing.
Clive Palmer ICC.
Charlie Shore is offline   Reply With Quote