Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2015, 09:46   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Help me not look stupid

It hasn't been mentioned, but I leave everything I normally carry in my pockets locked in my car. Other than a key just to open the door it is just easier to leave this stuff off the boat than mess with it. The number of small bags that have gone swimming is just too high, and I never need any of that stuff while day sailing anyway.

Otherwise I think you have gotten a lot of good advice. To start with you don't need much. Then over time fill in the holes in your gear. Don't feel any pressure to buy it all at once, or get the best offshore gear available. its nice and I plan to be buried in mine (I have to justify what I paid somehow after all) but it really isn't necessary until you are sailing far off shore in bad weather.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 09:46   #47

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

warm hat,
gloves
long underclothes to keep kidneys warm
light waterproof stuff ... if it's really bad you won't be going out
change of socks/shoes
scarf

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 09:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Where are you sailing that you need heavy weather gear for an orientation sail?

I wouldn't spend a lot on new clothes just yet. Blue jeans, sneakers, sweat shirt, baseball cap, gloves, wind breaker, ski parka; anything water proof or resistant you might already have in your closet. If you plan on getting wet, cotton does not dry quickly so synthetic fibers are better.

If you seriously believe more sailing is in your future, then you might consider investing in a pair of deck shoes (with laces - not sandals or loafers), and yes, I would only wear them on the boat(s). They can be pricey so you might want to wait until after you fall in love with the sea to purchase them as well.

Have fun

What a great opportunity.
To get what's listed above, I suggest the nearest surplus store. When I got my light weight yellow rain jacket, windbreaker the label stated it was part of the accepted Coast Guard uniform.
For shoes, my favorite is the canvas tennis shoe. Hard to find in this Space Age of specialized athletic shoes. Go Keds!
My friend is never without his Sperry (brand) topsiders. A choice you'll never regret.
Fashion and comfort dictate the rest for a layered look and wardrobe on a sunny day of changeable weather weber water will fall upon you for sure.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 10:00   #49

Where water will most assuredly fall upon your boooody!
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 10:13   #50

Boat: Niagara 35

Hi Moxie,

You've gotten some good advice here for gear.

I wouldn't stress too much about it for your first course. They're instructors. They've seen it all!

For this first sail, the only thing that will look stupid is if you show up with 1000 GBP worth of gear with the tags hanging off. Just be comfortable and find some non-marking shoes and a pair of gloves.

As you progress, I think a decent pair of sailing gloves and your own inflatable life jacket are well worth the investment. Most boats will only have bulky foam life jackets for guests and you'll be much more likely to wear it if you bring a comfortable inflatable of your own. You'll also look more like you're not a complete newbie.

I like the inflatables that only go off when immersed in 6-10" of water (not when hit by spray) and have an integrated harness. You may be able to find a used one.

Please report back! You're an excellent writer and we want to hear all about your excursion!
Old 17-04-2015, 10:14   #51

Oh, one more thing. I wouldn't buy used Sperry Topsiders. The rubber gets hard and slippery after a few years and they become absolutely deadly. Better to get new ones or just find any other type of shoe with non-marking soles.
Old 17-04-2015, 10:17   #52

You guys have given me some wonderful advice, and a good laugh.

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm not vain by any sense of the word, and don't have a problem with being, or looking like, the newbie on the boat. I know I titled the thread a bit OTT on the 'appearance' theme, but it worked in getting everyone's attention and giving me good advice.

I've heard stories of first time sailors spending ££100s or ££1000s kitting themselves out to look the part, but not having a clue what they were really doing. What I really want to know, and what has been kindly provided to me, is what do people who live this lifestyle feel is important to have. I wanted a starting point on what to look for when I do go shopping so that the money I spend is spent wisely. And you guys have given me some wonderful ideas that I can now apply to me and how I function.

At the end of the day, I want to feel comfortable, not out of place. And I guess that's what I was really looking for.

In regards to English weather, sometimes it's a struggle to predict what is going to happen in 5 minutes, let alone next month. So, as everyone is saying, I'm going to go prepared but not over the top.

I will wear a couple of layers of comfortable, but warm clothes and a wind breaker/water proof jacket. I'll take a small duffle bag with some wet weather gear, sunglasses (always the optimist) a warm hat, maybe boots and a change of clothes in case I fall in the water when climbing on board - which would just be typical. LOL

Leaving electronics in the car is a good idea, and one I'd thought of. I have a cheap little camera I'll take a long, not going to cry if it goes for a swim. I once dunked a $350 cannon camera in a river while canoeing. I only have to be that stupid once before getting the message.

I know the English Channel is one of the busiest places in the world, I figure it'll be a great place to learn to sail. We'll be going out the River Orwell, right past one of England's busiest cargo ports. Going to be an eyeopener for sure.

I also realise it seems I'm stressing over the small stuff. And I probably am more concerned about it than I need to be - welcome to my world. But I also know I'm not going to have a problem with the actual sailing. There is a ton I don't know. In fact, I don't know enough to really know what I don't know. But all that will come in time and I'll pick it up quickly. I always do.

Hugs
MG
Old 17-04-2015, 10:44   #53

You have a great attitude, Moxie!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-04-2015, 10:53   #54

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
Hi,

I am a Gonna-Be Sailer, not a Wanna-Be, not a Wish-to-Be, but I'm actively working towards my goal of sailing.

Even though I've yet to be on a sailboat.

But that is all going to change next month when I take a day cruise with a local sailing school. I've been on boats enough to know I love them and the water, just no sailboat experience (yet). If all goes well next month, and I expect it to, I'll start proper training probably next year.

The school has kindly sent me a list of things to bring for the day sail, to include things like lunch, wet weather gear, deck shoes, etc.

I've heard stories of people showing up for their first sailing adventures in brand new gear, kitted out to the hilt looking like they bought one of everything in the local boat store. I don't want to be that person. I want to look like I belong.

But, I also want to get some decent stuff as I fully expect to be spending time in it in the coming years.

So, any recommendations on bad weather gear? Things to look out for or avoid?

What about deck shoes - do you wear them when not on the boat, or should I take them in a bag and put them on there?

It's basic stuff like this I'm worried about. Probably quite silly actually.

Thanks,
MG
For a day sail the cheapest lightest rain gear you can get you can get, and old sneakers.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 10:57   #55

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Optimistic. Sunscreen? Lip balm?
Old 17-04-2015, 10:59   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Oh, one more thing. I wouldn't buy used Sperry Topsiders. The rubber gets hard and slippery after a few years and they become absolutely deadly. Better to get new ones or just find any other type of shoe with non-marking soles.
That's really good advice. I do see them at yard sales from time to time and even though the price is cheap they aren't worth it for boat work.
Old 17-04-2015, 11:05   #57

John U have to share the Sun that seems not to shine in the UK to often.Optimistic. I was going to suggest a Bikini, was all she needed until MG posted the UK was her sailing ground
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 12:56   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeard1 View Post
John U have to share the Sun that seems not to shine in the UK to often.Optimistic. I was going to suggest a Bikini, was all she needed until MG posted the UK was her sailing ground
Maybe overly optimistic then.
Old 17-04-2015, 13:06   #59

Boat: Nauticat 32

- clothes for all temperatures, from very cold to hot
- regular raincoat and rain pants (you can buy fancy and expensive gear also later), large size so you can wear all the other clothes under them
- deck shoes would be nice, because of good grip, to protect your toes on the deck, and to avoid carrying gravel and sand to the boat and the teak deck (i.e. maybe for the boat only)
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 13:27   #60

Boat: Nauticat 32

additional clothing related stuff to protect you from sun and ropes
- sunglasses
- sunscreen
- hat
- gloves
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote