Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 18:04   #886

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

The story has become like a train wreck!
Old 08-04-2014, 18:07   #887

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I really have enjoyed the links to supportive blogs & video. I deliberately do not read the mostly vile comments any more. I particularly loved the photo montage of the happy sailing kids. I thought of my happy times as a kid, as a parent with my own kids & now grandchildren on boats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...g8&app=desktop It made me wonder if there is something positive we can do with the tons of similar photos we probably all have, scaring & endangering our mal-adjusted, smiling laughing kids? Perhaps a TRIBUTE II? A new thread? A blog?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2462 ex.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	79026   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6290024.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	79027  

Old 08-04-2014, 18:16   #888

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

I'm always impressed with kids that I meet or have met that are or were boat kids.
Old 08-04-2014, 18:35   #889

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
whoooaaa...who's dream here?

What if their dream is to not get another boat again? This is their life and as much as the blog reader and cruising family THINKS they know them...we need to back off a bit and let them follow their path...not ours.
Third Day is absolutely right. My husband and I were discussing this very thing. I have been reading a lot of their blog, not only the log from the time at sea before the rescue, but posts prior to that. There were some entries that gave the definite impression this was more Eric's dream than Charlotte's to start with. And then the entries she made where she questioned the sanity of it all, and the day she asked him how long it would take him to do it alone if she just took the kids and waited at her sisters. She was NOT HAVING FUN.

This was one hell of an ordeal they went through, and from comparing his log and hers was obviously much harder on her and the kids than it was on Eric physically. We must allow for the possibility that she is going to be soured on the idea of sailing for awhile. And even if she isn't, she may not want to attempt it again until the kids are able to be more self sufficient aboard.

There are many boats for sale in the more popular cruising destination ports that belonged to families that dreamed of a cruising life only to figure out after one crossing that it wasn't what they had dreamed at all, and those are boats that made it to the other side!!
Old 08-04-2014, 19:08   #890

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Please let's not get into gossip about Eric and Charlotte. Giving them space means that, too. Gossip (while perhaps *fun* for some) is nonetheless invasive.

Wishing them well,

Ann
Old 08-04-2014, 19:09   #891

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Very nice piece in Slate today by Diane Selkirk, about raising kids on boats, with plenty of reference to Rebel Heart.

Rebel Heart sailboat rescue: Eric and Charlotte Kaufman are part of my community, and we’re good parents.

Apologies if this link has already been posted. . . I try to keep up with this thread, but I'm sure I missed a page or two.
EXCELLENT!!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 19:14   #892

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

Nicely written piece here.
Rebel Heart sailboat rescue: Eric and Charlotte Kaufman are part of my community, and we’re good parents.
Old 08-04-2014, 19:16   #893
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Popularity is a fleeting thing HH. If you get it your probably not worth listening to.
I hope Erik comes back to say hi.
+A1... no one listens to me.. they've got more sense...
Seems I've missed a lot here and times to short to catch up on all that's been written.. but the gist I'm getting is Reb's lost his boat but the family is safe and sound.. Yes.. Good Result..
Boats are like money.. can always be replaced..
Family is something else and Special..
Sorry to hear things went sour Eric.. but very Happy that all seem to be safe.. Stay well Amigo..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-04-2014, 19:18   #894

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I'm sorry, Ann, if that was meant for me....I was not intending to gossip and apologize to the forum, and to Eric and Charlotte, if it was taken that way. I was just stating, from what they had themselves shared via their blog, and considering what they have been through (that none of us can even imagine), that we can't assume at this point we know what they want to the point that anyone should be attempting to buy them a boat and push them back out to sea.
Old 08-04-2014, 19:46   #895

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I've been away and just able to catch up with this Thread.......we are all glad to hear Eric and his Family are Safe and returning home. Hopefully when he passes Point Loma he will tie up to the dock and get some quality time with his Family before the media onslaught.
While reading this complete thread I had thoughts of Boatman's "Atlantic Delivery" and all the naysayers. It was as if " here we go again" but then just as on Boatman's thread, the naysayers died out and all the true friends were still on board at this point.

Not to drift but, Boatman I hope your journey ended well.

Stay strong Eric and Family....your Friends at Cruisers Forum are with you......

S/V Water Wings
Old 08-04-2014, 19:59   #896
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Please let's not get into gossip about Eric and Charlotte. Giving them space means that, too. Gossip (while perhaps *fun* for some) is nonetheless invasive.

Wishing them well,

Ann

Nothing said on this forum is taking anyone's space. Please give it a rest!
You continue to try and shape this conversation. It's not yours to shape. Yes we support Eric, but we are not knocking on his door. Our banter amongst our selfs is completely harmless, unlike all the other ill willed media involving themselves. Please don't continue trying to force your perceived best intentions on this dialog.
Old 08-04-2014, 20:14   #897

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm sure they will be given many speaking opportunities if they so choose and both me and my wife are looking forward to hearing Eric and Charlotte speak about their adventures. Good AND ugly. Few people will be able to speak with such authority on the matters at hand.

I have a feeling they will be back at it at some point... with a bigger boat!

Tiki Trek extends our best wishes to the family.
Old 08-04-2014, 20:35   #898

Boat: Catalina 36

Eric is one of the few posters on here that I actually respect. I'm sure if they decided to discuss their story that the narrative would be both interesting and factual. They're good people.
Old 08-04-2014, 20:38   #899

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I'm sure they will be given many speaking opportunities if they so choose and both me and my wife are looking forward to hearing Eric and Charlotte speak about their adventures. Good AND ugly. Few people will be able to speak with such authority on the matters at hand.

I have a feeling they will be back at it at some point... with a bigger boat!

Tiki Trek extends our best wishes to the family.
I really doubt they'll be doing a speaking tour! Too much bad publicity. And it not like being rescued once makes you an authority on the subject. I'd rather hear from those like Lin and Larry or Beth and Evans … at least someone who's been more than 900 miles offshore, preferable someone who been all the way around.
Old 08-04-2014, 21:32   #900

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Nothing said on this forum is taking anyone's space. Please give it a rest!
You continue to try and shape this conversation. It's not yours to shape. Yes we support Eric, but we are not knocking on his door. Our banter amongst our selfs is completely harmless, unlike all the other ill willed media involving themselves. Please don't continue trying to force your perceived best intentions on this dialog.
You're absolutely correct that this conversation is not mine to shape. What you characterize as "banter" I see as talking about Eric & Charlotte behind their backs, and it is very tempting for people to do. And, to me it is invasive behavior.

I hope we can agree to disagree on this one. I think we have different views of what may be invasive and how the timing of such remarks can work out for the people who have had the trauma. Giving them space means that I not speculate, even given their blogs of information. It means, also, that I ask others to behave with consideration and discretion.

In my belief system, a person is remiss who fails to speak up in order to prevent possible damage. In addition, I adhere to a philosophical ideal: I would really like to do no harm. It may only be "perceived harm", in that I can't know for sure that harm would be done. It is a call for discretion, only. YMMV

There is also the issue of kindness. Since we all have to somehow or other get along together in this world, I think we should treat one another with kindness. I'm not saying I always succeed. It's just an ideal to strive for. Again, YMMV.

Ann

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico