Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 19:10   #736
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Insurance?
Really, check your policies, folks. If anyone has a policy that insures a boat, 900 nm offshore, with only two crew onboard, please raise your hand. If it covers any boat more than 100nm offshore with a crew of less than 3, please cough loudly.

Satdiver, you will find that these days you can't insure a US vessel in US waters with Pantaeus, unless they've changed their terms again recently. They will refer you to their US affiliate/subsidiary, but Pantaeus firewalls US vessels in US waters that way. And again, two crew? Far offshore? What's the phrase, nice if you can get it?

We'd have to hear from Eric, as we all no doubt will in coming weeks. But the odds are, he had no reasonable options for insurance.
I agree with the rest of your post, but my hand is raised I took my boat over with my sailing partner. I was not insuring my boat for US waters because I was sailing into international and foreign ones. That's why I made sure to use the term (Add) Our sailing course across the Atlantic was fully approved and was insured in the contract all the way there from the US. Just like the cost of an EPIRB or a Liferaft it was factored into our plan.

Was it reasonable from a business perspective? yes. From a personal perspective not so much but not many things I've bought for my boat that I have ever said that was reasonably priced. I understand bootstrapping a cruise I've been there and done that. But there are "reasonable" options for insuring your vessel offshore making passages even if it's a 90 year old wooden boat. Also I'm not judging Erics choice if he did not have insurance. I've done a lot dumber things than crossing an ocean so I don't really having room to talk.
Old 07-04-2014, 19:17   #737

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Enough time is what making it to port, than your a good sailor, miss it and no mater what years you have or when you should not be out there. some of theses arm chair sailors are awesome.
Old 07-04-2014, 19:22   #738

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Lyra is so much better. Everyone is resting aboard the ship. REBEL HEART HAS BEEN SUNK. They did not have a choice.
I'm still catching up on this thead since my internet is limited to my phone at the moment but this part here is what I was looking for. Sorry they lost their home. I would be deviated. I'm glad they are safe and wish them the best and not to give up.
Old 07-04-2014, 19:30   #739

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

I have been avoiding making any comment at this point as there are enough of you analyzing this. I have my own option of the events but will not judge those involved.

I think there are a few folks that might want to do a little research (watch the news) before commenting or inferring this is bogas or a conspiracy of any kind, enough said.

What I really wanted to mention, do not many of the drip-less packing systems employ a small amount pressurized raw water pumped into the fitting / packing? I believe it was mentioned that there was a drip-less fitting involved and that it had caused some problems in the past. If this was possibly the source of the water when the engine was running would it be enough to be classified as a danger if the hose broke .... thinking out loud... I would think if the hose broke, one side of the hose would let water in even when the engine was not running.
Old 07-04-2014, 19:34   #740

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV MAKAI View Post
Greenhand, some people are threatening to call child welfare services on her. FYI, CWS in San Diego has a long and filthy reputation. The blog will be used against these loving parents by evil people. Sorry, but the damage the haters can do wont be gone in a week.

Is there any chance you guys can stop speculating on the doom and gloom?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-04-2014, 19:42   #741

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin37 View Post
I have been avoiding making any comment at this point as there are enough of you analyzing this. I have my own option of the events but will not judge those involved.

I think there are a few folks that might want to do a little research (watch the news) before commenting or inferring this is bogas or a conspiracy of any kind, enough said.

What I really wanted to mention, do not many of the drip-less packing systems employ a small amount pressurized raw water pumped into the fitting / packing? I believe it was mentioned that there was a drip-less fitting involved and that it had caused some problems in the past. If this was possibly the source of the water when the engine was running would it be enough to be classified as a danger if the hose broke .... thinking out loud... I would think if the hose broke, one side of the hose would let water in even when the engine was not running.
I thought you said there was enough people analyzing this?
Eric is pretty hip to the way a boat works. Give him a break.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-04-2014, 19:47   #742
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Is there any chance you guys can stop speculating on the doom and gloom?
I don't think forums would exist without some form of speculating. Not everyone is predicting doom or gloom. There are all kinds in all places, online or offline. Most people on here are rooting for the best for them.
Old 07-04-2014, 19:48   #743

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I would pray that even some of the more critical comment posters would at least consider declaring allegiance to the camp of "I may not agree with your decisions but I will defend your right to them". Sailors are a small, often misunderstood minority and need to support one another as much as we can and avoid premature judgment.
Old 07-04-2014, 19:57   #744
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I would pray that even some of the more critical comment posters would at least consider declaring allegiance to the camp of "I may not agree with your decisions but I will defend your right to them". Sailors are a small, often misunderstood minority and need to support one another as much as we can and avoid premature judgment.
Well Said, and I think most if not all people on this Forum will stand behind them. My taxes are due in a few weeks and if they are billed for any portion of this rescue I'm not paying them.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:00   #745

"I thought you said there was enough people analyzing this?
Eric is pretty hip to the way a boat works. Give him a break."

Your right did not mean to imply he did not know his boat but was interested in how they work and could they be a danger, was thinking about drip-less for my boat.

Poor wording on my part.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:01   #746

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

I'm X US Navy submarines ... I've done a very small amout of offshore sailing. I have, however been in the middle of the ocean on both surface ships and submarines. As many of you know I've been building Chasing Summer for three years. I'm trying to build her like a submarine ... but I don't care how careful you are or how much pre-planning you do. Sometimes things happen at sea that you have no control over; some times they are drastic and life threatening. You don't have to read very many offshore sailing stories to realize this. I'm hoping I build my boat strong enough to withstand anything ... but ... one never knows the future.
I support Eric and his family and all his decsions. He's a husband and father and ship's captain with all the responsibilities this all entails. He's writer ... I'm sure when he's settled and things calm down he's write about it. Until that time all the speculation in the world is pointless. We weren't there ... they were.
My hat's off to you, Eric ... my prayers are for you and your family

Hey cruisersfourm members ... why hasn't anyone set up a Rebel Heart Donation Fund yet????? I thought we were suppose to take care of our own.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:05   #747

Boat: Valiant 40-169

I only found out about this yesterday evening while reading articles on a news website. Went to CF to find out more but so much has been posted its too hard to catch up. I am very glad to hear, however, that they got off the boat safely and that Lyra seems to be doing well but equally sad that the boat is lost. I wish them all the best at this time of stress and hope they have good friends back home to support them. The story gives you some added respect for being a thousand miles from shore.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:07   #748

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
Well Said, and I think most if not all people on this Forum will stand behind them. My taxes are due in a few weeks and if they are billed for any portion of this rescue I'm not paying them.

Could you expand on that. I think you are saying you won't uphold your commitment to pay taxes because they were used for this rescue.
If that's your point. I am not paying for putting out your house fire. Not paying for the emt when you wreck your car. I am defaulting on my commitment for anything except what serves me. You weren't saying that right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2014, 20:09   #749
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin37 View Post

Your right did not mean to imply he did not know his boat but was interested in how they work and could they be a danger, was thinking about drip-less for my boat.

Poor wording on my part.
If I were sailing a Irwin 37 I'd be more concerned about the hull to deck joints, sorry had to say it
Old 07-04-2014, 20:10   #750

If I were sailing a Irwin 37 I'd be more concerned about the hull to deck joints, sorry had to say it.

All redone and through bolted. But that's for a different thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico