Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 18:39   #1036

Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Hmmmm.... A dilloway, dilloway a dilloway dilloway... Saying it fast almost sounds like the chorus of Kumbaya
Oh, Lord...

After I posted, her website popped up and said the reply was being "rewviewed" or "cosnidered" or something like that.

She edits her own replies.

How thoughtful, the little b*itch.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 09-04-2014, 18:42   #1037
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

This honestly is not a huge story and never was. It seems bigger because it's in an area of interest we all share. Worrying about the media is not relevant really upon their return. If they get some interview offers that's great but those won't be rolling in like some people might think. Peaches Geldof's death got way more interest and all she ever did was Heroin and have kids.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:45   #1038

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Hey guys, we're all fine and back in San Diego.

The media has been all over us and honestly the facts are so distorted at this point I don't even know where to start. In the few hours we've been back in town the media has been all over us, right up to the front door of our doctor's office when we were getting Lyra checked out.

The rescuers (the 129th California Air National Guard and the USS Vandegrift) were amazing; I've never met a better group of professionals.

I totally want to give you guys all the details but I need the media storm to die down. I've been so amazed at the support that the sailing community has offered us. There was a sailboat that came by the USS Vandegrift on our way into San Diego Harbor that had Rebel Heart banners streaming off of it.

I know some people with disagree with whatever actions I took, but for those of you who support me I want you to know that you've warmed my heart. This entire thing has humbled me and I feel an immense sense of gratitude towards everyone involved.

I promise I'll come back with all the details, but we need to get away from the cameras and lose our fifteen minutes of fame first.
Glad you, Charlotte, Cora and Lyra are safe ashore with family and friends. Wish I could be there too to welcome you home.

kindest regards,
Old 09-04-2014, 18:52   #1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
And despite many forum members apparent voting habits, the US still has good social programs.

If they arrived back in San Diego truly in need resources would be available for them. If they needed say a deposit on an apartment I would chip in say $50. I feel no need to buy them a new yacht.
Alas, when I singlehanded my own sailboat from New England through the Panama Canal and lost the boat in the Torres Straits no one offered to 'fund me another boat', oh yeah, COMPUTERS WERE 'NT EVEN INVENTED BACK THEN! LOL!

When I lost my (uninsured) liveaboard in Hurricane Sandy, I never mentioned it on CF. No 'boat fund' for me, LOL! I pulled up my pants (hence the clamdigger moniker) and found a room(notice I did not say house or even an apartment!) to rent, another job, and started toughing out Life from scratch all over again without asking taxpayers for a dime. I was raised working on a dairy farm where you were judged by your work not *financial worth*. It's probably what I enjoyed most about living and sailing my former boats, I was one of the *regular cruising crowd* not the *Goldplater crowd*. Today my Boss is my best friend because he grew up actually working for a living, and understands my mindset, when he gives me a task he knows it'll be done. I may always be just a *lurker* on CF, but I do harbor a *dream* of having another sailboat, abliet, even if it's *just* a 20 something footer to sail and live on into old age.

The reason my post count is so low is that I rarely have more than an hour a day to work/read online, sometimes I go a week without even getting on a computer to check my email! I'm exisiting right now not living. Boy would it be nice to have a place to call *home* again. But I'll never be able to spend hours online posting about my sailing prowness so I guess I'll have to just buy myself another boat through hardwork.

Glad the whole family has made it ashore together. I wish them strength in their coming days to find their quiet corner of this Planet to mend their family.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:54   #1040

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

So glad our friends are back & OK. I am almost as sorry for the horrible vitriol in so many blog comments & news reporting as I am about the loss of your home. Hope thins settle down for you.

Try not to injure yourself punching the Dilloweet key.
Old 09-04-2014, 19:09   #1041
cruiser

Rebel,

Welcome back.

Ken
Old 09-04-2014, 19:18   #1042

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I really doubt they'll be doing a speaking tour! Too much bad publicity. And it not like being rescued once makes you an authority on the subject. I'd rather hear from those like Lin and Larry or Beth and Evans … at least someone who's been more than 900 miles offshore, preferable someone who been all the way around.
Welcome back Eric!

Many of us have had a chance to hear Beth speak and I certainly do appreciate her experience and thoroughness on the subject but I don't think they have been rescued at sea with two children in tow.

Regardless, each person that has been through the tempest has a different perspective and their contributions to our tribal knowledge of sailing is unique but not less or more important than someone else.

I'm not suggesting they go on an around the world book signing and las vegas show girl tour but I'm sure they will have an audience if they choose to do so.
Old 09-04-2014, 19:18   #1043
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Alas, when I singlehanded my own sailboat from New England through the Panama Canal and lost the boat in the Torres Straits no one offered to 'fund me another boat', oh yeah, COMPUTERS WERE 'NT EVEN INVENTED BACK THEN! LOL!

When I lost my (uninsured) liveaboard in Hurricane Sandy, I never mentioned it on CF. No 'boat fund' for me, LOL! I pulled up my pants (hence the clamdigger moniker) and found a room(notice I did not say house or even an apartment!) to rent, another job, and started toughing out Life from scratch all over again without asking taxpayers for a dime. I was raised working on a dairy farm where you were judged by your work not *financial worth*. It's probably what I enjoyed most about living and sailing my former boats, I was one of the *regular cruising crowd* not the *Goldplater crowd*. Today my Boss is my best friend because he grew up actually working for a living, and understands my mindset, when he gives me a task he knows it'll be done. I may always be just a *lurker* on CF, but I do harbor a *dream* of having another sailboat, abliet, even if it's *just* a 20 something footer to sail and live on into old age.

The reason my post count is so low is that I rarely have more than an hour a day to work/read online, sometimes I go a week without even getting on a computer to check my email! I'm exisiting right now not living. Boy would it be nice to have a place to call *home* again. But I'll never be able to spend hours online posting about my sailing prowness so I guess I'll have to just buy myself another boat through hardwork.

Glad the whole family has made it ashore together. I wish them strength in their coming days to find their quiet corner of this Planet to mend their family.
So are you upset about something specific.?

I think they knew a lot of people on here and other places where they shared their experiences online with others and that's why they got the support they did and as they should.

They invested and got a return when they needed it most. Not having a solid online rep myself I doubt this forum would buy me a boat or give me a bail out fund if the ole girl sank in a storm tomorrow nor would I expect that.

People I know personally would take care of me if I needed it. In fact I did sink a boat once before the internet and Jay Marcus III and Andy Lockwood helped me get a new boat. Both are old dead salts so I can mention their names.

While I know some people on here, I don't participate as often as I should in peoples lives so I don't expect the return of the magnitude they received. I never went without a boat and I'm passing 40 and lost two while I was broke.

Stop your bitching life is to short to be bitter.

Welcome back Eric and Charlotte
Old 09-04-2014, 19:36   #1044

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Hmmmm.... A dilloway, dilloway a dilloway dilloway... Saying it fast almost sounds like the chorus of Kumbaya

Sounds more like the beginning to " The Lion Sleeps Tonight".
Old 09-04-2014, 19:36   #1045

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I've read most of this thread and I apologize in advance if I am merely saying "me too" to something that has been said already but I haven't seen it explicitly stated. I've read a few accounts of ocean disasters and I think it is generally agreed that every disaster starts well in advance of the actual climax and eventually develops its own momentum which leads inevitably to the disastrous climax. Sometimes it takes only one questionable decision and sometimes it takes a multitude but eventually the die is cast and there is only one possible outcome. I hope when this is all behind them that Eric and Charlotte are brave and honest enough to come forward and talk about the real causes of their disaster.

It also needs to be said that this Cruisers Forum group is a pretty good bunch. This is a remarkably long running thread and it hasn't degenerated into vitriol or name calling as it quickly would have on most forums if such a traumatic event was being discussed.
You've read a few accounts of ocean disasters, and are universalizing by saying it's "generally agreed" that EVERY disaster starts well in advance and is the result of a questionable decision.

Besides being a gross generalization, you are essentially indicting Eric and Charlotte of poor judgement and saying "I don't know what they did wrong, but I know they did something wrong."

I think it would be fair to wait and withhold these sorts of comments until there is more information than what has been splashed across the news.
Old 09-04-2014, 19:39   #1046

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Oh, Lord...

After I posted, her website popped up and said the reply was being "rewviewed" or "cosnidered" or something like that.

She edits her own replies.

How thoughtful, the little b*itch.
I think your comment got 86'ed. Wasn't there as of 1 minute ago.
Old 09-04-2014, 19:46   #1047

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Welcome back. Time for deep breaths and healing and focus on family and thanks for what remains. Be well and know you have many friends pulling for you.
Old 09-04-2014, 19:48   #1048

Glad you guys made it back in one piece and I hope the little one is better.

ShaunJ

Old 09-04-2014, 19:49   #1049

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You've read a few accounts of ocean disasters, and are universalizing by saying it's "generally agreed" that EVERY disaster starts well in advance and is the result of a questionable decision.

Besides being a gross generalization, you are essentially indicting Eric and Charlotte of poor judgement and saying "I don't know what they did wrong, but I know they did something wrong."

I think it would be fair to wait and withhold these sorts of comments until there is more information than what has been splashed across the news.
Yeah, but... hindsight!
Old 09-04-2014, 19:58   #1050

Eric and Charlotte,
I too, am glad you guys are ok. Having a sick baby sucks under any circumstance. Thank God she is doing well.

The media has a very short attention span. They'll be chasing the next story soon enough.

Hope you guys get back on your feet soon and don't let this disrupt your rebel spirit.

My best to your family!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico