Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31   #391

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I think there are some misconceptions over the number of people rescued by the Coast Guard each year. In 2012 the Coast Guard had 19790 search and rescue missions. I think you'll agree, the Coast Guard is well trained, and well used. I'm pretty sure SAR calls are figured into the budget. Any discussions about Eric "repaying" the government are silly. If you are interested in some of the stories:

Search and Rescue | Coast Guard News

Personally, I think the only reason this is news is because it involves Eric and Charlotte's baby.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31   #392

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi folks,

I had the pleasure of making Eric and Charlotte's acquaintance on the dock at Marina De La Paz. They are great and friendly folks, and their daughters are lovely and energetic. It has been said already, but you guys have done everything right in very trying circumstances.

I'm glad to hear the medical issue is being dealt with, and I hope you are able to recover your fine boat/home. I hope your skins are thick, as I just sampled some of the comments on your blog by the couch riders of our fair land. Pay them no mind, as they will never know what they have missed in life.

Wishing you all the best, and hope to cross paths with you again soon.

Cheers, Bill
Bill,

I just read the comments on Charlotte's blog earlier this morning myself. I left a short message for her.......

"Charlotte, I'm very happy to hear that Lyra is doing better and hope that you are in good spirits. I've talked with Eric many times on CF and you a couple of times. What has prompted me to post on your blog is to counter the negatives you have been receiving. Please consider the source on these type of posts. What kind of person would search out a person's blog to attack them during a crisis? Easy answer, a mean spirited person. I know in your last two years of cruising you probably haven't been exposed to mean spirited people because that is a trait that cruisers don't possess. The people that are attacking haven't any idea what family cruising is all about, and none of them spend the quality time with their children that you and Eric do with the girls. Keep happy, ignore mean spirited people, and enjoy future fair winds and good sailing. Now, just a short note to the detractors. Every cruising kid I have ever met, and there has been a lot, they are nonjudgmental, happy in their own skin, and confident in their abilities. Every adult I have met that was raised as a cruising kid, is truly an outstanding person.

Bob"

I hope she does consider what type of person would post those negative comments during such a trying time for her and just ignore them.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43   #393
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

recieved this via FB from eric's sister,and got confirmation that she is aware of myself and others on cf and the proposed recovery plan.
hopefully i will get a reply from eric in the near future.

(quote) sariah"
am going to boarding the plane and will be out of contact till later this afternoon. I have heard from the US Air Guard Col in charge. The family has been transferred to the Navy Ship. That is all I know. Once I reach San Diego I will be able to update you all more"
Old 06-04-2014, 10:46   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Personally, I think the only reason this is news is because it involves Eric and Charlotte's baby.
Reading the comments accompanying the news articles shows that it is an emotive issue and good for getting hits to keep advertisers happy.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:46   #395

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I think Charlotte is a very strong person, Eric too. I loosely followed their journey last couple of years and one thing that always struck me is their total love and commitment to their children. I have no doubt they'd go to the ends of the earth to protect them, and have always marveled at what a great life they have created for their children.
I hope cruisers nearby can lend a hand to recover Rebel Heart. I hope the press stay the hell away from them. I hope they can continue following their dreams whether land or sea. Those two little ones are extremely blessed to have parents like Eric and Charlotte.
Erika
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49   #396
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
I hope they have good insurance. At 900 miles out I'm afraid a proper salvage operation would exceed the value of the vessel especially if the boat is disabled.
this is why plan B might work better,i myself would not seek any renumeration,apart from expenses.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:54   #397

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this is why plan B might work better,i myself would not seek any renumeration,apart from expenses.

Good on ya!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58   #398

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
This is a great community. Very generous atoll
Old 06-04-2014, 11:01   #399

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Serious question. I see the media taking liberties with quoting blog posts on RH's website. Aren't those posts considered intellectual copyrights? Are media allowed to quote from a website without permission?

There's a doctrine of "fair use" that allows small quotes, especially in a work of commentary, criticism, or news. There's no clear bright line, though, where fair use turns into copyright violation. It has to do with percentage of the whole used, effect of the quotes on the value of the original, and a bunch of other things.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06   #400
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
I'm not talking about human cost I'm talking about that actual cost of the salvage. One it's going to take a considerable amount of time to locate the boat, then there is the unknown condition the vessel will be in by the time you do locate her, she might not be operable and if you think you're going to tow her for any considerable distance you need a proper set up and boat for that.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:09   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
There's a doctrine of "fair use" that allows small quotes, especially in a work of commentary, criticism, or news. There's no clear bright line, though, where fair use turns into copyright violation. It has to do with percentage of the whole used, effect of the quotes on the value of the original, and a bunch of other things.
Good to know. Thanks!

Would a statement like "the content on this site may not be reproduced without approval" do anything?

I think it boils down to media firms having larger lawyer budgets and the fact that they could spin your words any way they see fit to make a story with no real repercussions. USA Today among others are heavily focusing on the few negative comments Charlotte has made on her blog, and I hate statements being torn from context so they can make a buck off someone's suffering.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 11:12   #402

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Atoll, you are an example some of the amazing people in the cruising community. Thank you for considering taking your time, and using your skill and experience to help out Rebel Heart.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:13   #403
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I agree the expenses part of a salvage in this location could easily be more than the value of the boat.

And where do the salvors take the boat? Are they really going to risk their lives to do something the owner wouldn't risk?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-04-2014, 11:13   #404

Boat: Catalina 36

There is a facebook group set up to support the family, for those of you that do fb. It is closed so you'd have to request access to participate.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1485254438365076/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I think if you profit from it, and they won't, it's no longer "fair use".
Old 06-04-2014, 11:15   #405

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

It's great that they are now aboard the Navy frigate with more medical resources for the little one, and more (and swifter) options to treat and transport than before.

Like others here I've read Eric/RH's comments here with admiration and respect. You could hardly find a skipper with a more thorough approach to cautious planning for such an undertaking.

In regard to the youngest child's illness, which has been given as being a pre-voyage case of salmonella. It is possible that it gone into remission and flared up again once underway. Salmonellosis (salmonella and/or typhoid, closely related strains of bacteria) can do that, have similar symptoms, and are very serious conditions in the youngest and oldest cohorts.
My own oldest daughter, between age 6-10 (best I can remember, it was in the 1960-70's) and some playmates, contracted what we were told was salmonellosis (in retrospect it could have also been typhoid) from a friends pet turtle.
She became extremely ill and was hospitalized for more than a month (this was long ago, before our much improved medical arts of today) and did suffer a relapse. I'll mention one more thing, her poop had a smell that was incredible, in a bad way, and it persisted for at least a year. So they have all likely endured even more (olfactorily) than y'all might have realized aboard that small vessel.

I sure wish it had been possible for Eric to stay aboard and make a port of refuge for the boat, they spent so much time and effort preparing for this; maybe it will come to be yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico