Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:52   #361

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
You say that like a liberal slant is bad. I listen to NPR, but give Rush a chance once a month or so. The difference is staggering. One is slanted but accurate, the other is a war cry for the simple minded.
I didn't say it was bad. I said it was there. Didn't mean to start a political discussion.

NPR is probably about as neutral as you're going to get in their news. It's just the opinion pieces which aren't necessarily balanced. My impression is that they only hire liberal-minded journalists, and then they try to be as objective as possible. At least they try. It shows just how difficult it is to be truly objective for journalists. They cover mostly serious or at least intellectual subjects, so it's almost always interesting.

It's still a far cry from either Fox or MSNBC, which are more for entertainment than for information.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:55   #362
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
If the child was not vaccinated she could have picked it up in Mexico..

If the kid isn't vaccinated, this would be the one case where I would step up and call them irresponsible parents. I am not saying that... because there are zero facts in, but not vaccinating your kids is the height of irresponsible parenting. It's also the height of a bad member of society.

Usually, when traveling internationally, you need to have all vaccinations including yellow fever, up to date to gain entry at customs. It would be crazy to travel if you didn't. Hopefully they did.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:05   #363

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

[QUOTE=Nicholson58;1510932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
From USA TODAY

Navy ship reaches ill toddler on sailboat

Navy ship reaches sailboat carrying ill toddler

Based on the the above link, it seems that any salvage mission might best involve serious discussion with Eric. Boat takes on water when the engine runs is a bit ominous. Suggests prop shaft seal/packing or perhaps a fault in the cooling system. If there is no generator, no power. Batteries may be flat. I'm sure these points have probably been considered by those offering assistance. I expect no one would race into this unprepared for repairs. It would really be bad to put another crew in jeopardy.

SO happy they are safe.
I was thinking much the same. If there IS a leak on the cooling system, the location will greatly impact the salvage mission's ability to (cool and) run the engine and charge batteries. The information possessed by Eric will be critical to the effort.

I was also tossing around if Eric should leave the boat hove to, on a sea anchor or sailing with a minimal amount of sail up and with the hydrovane steering a set course. I seem to remember someone else a few years back had to abandon and set his boat on a course where it was salvaged a few weeks later. Thoughts?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:06   #364
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Anyone cruising about in a sailboat is looked at as having some cash, it's not really accurate buy it's public perception. I doubt Eric has a 4000 sq foot home and 2 BMWs in the garage. People who live in houses assume everyone lives in houses, so the publics perception is that the sailboat is luxury and houses and cars are at home. And if you can not work and sail, you must be rich. It's no wonder the public hates us.
Add in the Class Envy Card played by politicians...and anyone perceived to "have money" now is a target these days.

What really surprises me is how many people give a rats ass what people think or say about sailing/cruising/living on a sailboat/or this rescue on line.

Really...you guys care what people think and post online when these same people posting can't name the Vice President, the Year the Country they live in was founded or what the first 10 ammendments to the Constitution are called? To care about what the masses care about these days is to care about nothing serious nor substantial. You have to realize that in many ways you WANT the masses to think we are all crazy by casting off Cruising either with or without kids. You want them to stay away and only experience the places we do on their 7 day vacation and then go home. This may sound a little crass or snobbish, but can you imagine if even 0.5% more of the masses wanted a piece of what we have out cruising....it would be destroyed!

So don't worry about what they say, think, or post about Eric and his family. Eirc wont, becuase if he did they never would have left in the first place....none of us would.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:08   #365
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Fox News just had a sorry sounding story about this rescue . And they complained about the cost, this after covering all the efforts to find that plane black box

People have their priorities all wrong
Thee were 200 hundred odd people on the plane. They boarded a commercial flight with the assumption they had a VERY low statistical chance of any issues.

judging by the amount of boats lost, sunk and abandoned in the last few years by able bodied adult only crews; it would seem to me the statical probability of failure makes our hobby a strictly "at your own risk" activity.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:09   #366
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

[QUOTE=Nicholson58;1510932]
Quote:
From USA TODAY

Navy ship reaches ill toddler on sailboat

Navy ship reaches sailboat carrying ill toddler

Based on the the above link, it seems that any salvage mission might best involve serious discussion with Eric. Boat takes on water when the engine runs is a bit ominous. Suggests prop shaft seal/packing or perhaps a fault in the cooling system. If there is no generator, no power. Batteries may be flat. I'm sure these points have probably been considered by those offering assistance. I expect no one would race into this unprepared for repairs. It would really be bad to put another crew in jeopardy.

SO happy they are safe.
definitly,his sister has my contact details, and i would not rush into anything without erics full support,at the moment just rounding up a few options.

another possibility is that the navy may put a crew on the yacht and motor it to safety,given erics ex navy connections.
the vessel is not that far away from ille de coco as another option.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:25   #367

Kudos to the Air National Guard and other involved in the rescue. God's Speed to the crew of the SV Rebel Heart.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26   #368

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

If a fund is set up count me in too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 08:27   #369
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

It is great that Eric and family are safe and they have my unconditional support.
However, so much of this thread is about bashing the Bashers!
Personally I would just "choose to ignore" because from their perspective they do have valid points about trying to protect kids from adventurous parents.
Arguing with people who have made up their mind be it family or strangers is a waste of time and only polarises the issues further.
Love the problem solving support on CF trying to help Eric, but acknowledging their detractors... is a waste of time.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
If a fund is set up count me in too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Has anyone started a www.gofundme.com or similar campaign yet?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 08:30   #371

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
The sign of a good captain is when they are able to care for the crew above the vessel. The sign of a good father is to push the panic button when you need to. Good job Rebel Heart. Be safe.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittles comment is the embodiment of all the thoughts so many of us have concerning Eric and his family and with an economy of words.
Well Said, MB'... cheers, Phil
Old 06-04-2014, 08:30   #372

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
If the kid isn't vaccinated, this would be the one case where I would step up and call them irresponsible parents. I am not saying that... because there are zero facts in, but not vaccinating your kids is the height of irresponsible parenting. It's also the height of a bad member of society.

Usually, when traveling internationally, you need to have all vaccinations including yellow fever, up to date to gain entry at customs. It would be crazy to travel if you didn't. Hopefully they did.
Vaccinations don't always take. I've had so many I can't count them all. While in the Navy I felt like a pin cushion with all the shots we were getting.

Yet last month I got the measles from a nephew. It didn't show up for 10 days. Measles are highly contagious it can be picked up airborne or off a door knob. With me I know it was airborne b/c I was sitting next to him in a taxi the day before he showed symptoms but had no contact the rest of the time.

And in MX very few people have vaccinations so the disease would be common. It is contagious 4 days before to 4 days after the symptoms.

My question is would it be safe/healthy to give a 1 YO child all those need vacc's? Take a look at the list of vacc's that the CDC recommends before going to the tropics.
If it is the measles then everyone involved is at risk. It can spread as fast as grease on a door knob.
But we'll see after she gets home.
And how is not getting vaccinated being irresponsible? I don't think I'd pump a bunch of diseases into a 1 YO.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34   #373
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It is great that Eric and family are safe and they have my unconditional support.
However, so much of this thread is about bashing the Bashers!
Personally I would just "choose to ignore" because from their perspective they do have valid points about trying to protect kids from adventurous parents.
Arguing with people who have made up their mind be it family or strangers is a waste of time and only polarises the issues further.
Love the problem solving support on CF trying to help Eric, but acknowledging their detractors... is a waste of time.
Agreed: they are the masses that are brainwashed and programmed into a life of dumbed down nothingness, enslaved by debt and jealousy
Old 06-04-2014, 08:36   #374
cruiser

Am I correct in thinking that this being just the very beginning of Eric's RTW that he is probably pretty well off in the cash department? I'm assuming he's not going to be charged for the rescue. And it would be great if we could organize a boat rescue operation, what exactly would the fund be for? It's not crazy to think he's got a pretty big kitty going on is it?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:37   #375

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

And in MX very few people have vaccinations so the disease would be common. It is contagious 4 days before to 4 days after the symptoms.
At least as far as measles is concerned (the only one I checked), Mexico has a higher rate of vaccination than the US. See Immunization, measles (% of children ages 12-23 months) | Data | Table

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico