Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 20:12   #751

Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Summer View Post
I'm X US Navy submarines ... I've done a very small amout of offshore sailing. I have, however been in the middle of the ocean on both surface ships and submarines. As many of you know I've been building Chasing Summer for three years. I'm trying to build her like a submarine ... but I don't care how careful you are or how much pre-planning you do. Sometimes things happen at sea that you have no control over; some times they are drastic and life threatening. You don't have to read very many offshore sailing stories to realize this. I'm hoping I build my boat strong enough to withstand anything ... but ... one never knows the future.
I support Eric and his family and all his decsions. He's a husband and father and ship's captain with all the responsibilities this all entails. He's writer ... I'm sure when he's settled and things calm down he's write about it. Until that time all the speculation in the world is pointless. We weren't there ... they were.
My hat's off to you, Eric ... my prayers are for you and your family

Hey cruisersfourm members ... why hasn't anyone set up a Rebel Heart Donation Fund yet????? I thought we were suppose to take care of our own.
Ex Bubble Head here, too!

There is a donation fund setup for them, I think it's listed back on page 31 or so. The money goes directly into their Paypal account, so it's going to the right people.

See you around!
Old 07-04-2014, 20:13   #752
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Could you expand on that. I think you are saying you won't uphold your commitment to pay taxes because they were used for this rescue.
If that's your point. I am not paying for putting out your house fire. Not paying for the emt when you wreck your car. I am defaulting on my commitment for anything except what serves me. You weren't saying that right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I said if they are billed for this rescue I'm not not paying my taxes this year. Because I already paid for it and so did they and everyone else.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:15   #753

Boat: PETERSON 44

Thanks I should be more optimistic.

Old 07-04-2014, 20:15   #754

Quote:
Could you expand on that. I think you are saying you won't uphold your commitment to pay taxes because they were used for this rescue.
If that's your point. I am not paying for putting out your house fire. Not paying for the emt when you wreck your car. I am defaulting on my commitment for anything except what serves me. You weren't saying that right.

I'm positive you completely misunderstood what he posted. Your interpretation is 180* from what he said/meant.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:16   #755

Boat: too many

Quote:

I understood him to say that if Eric gets a bill, he will withhold paying his taxes, if Eric isn't billed for the rescue he will pay his taxes.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:19   #756

I read it wrong please sorry. Guess you see how I mis read the post. Oops

Old 07-04-2014, 20:24   #757
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks I should be more optimistic.

I'm just getting really pissed reading comments about how they should be billed for the rescue on media sites. I don't remember people bitching about misuse of our tax dollars when I was working on the salvage for the Ironclad Monitor. I'm pretty sure the sailors were dead for 160 years. Yet the Navy had us doing some pretty serious saturation dives to get it to a museum. Also I don't remember people bitching about their tax dollars when we were diving on the Kursk and I'm pretty sure the Russian Sub Service is volunteer.

But I guess this is different. Eric and Charlotte should pay for this one.

I was excited when I finally got called to duty. The Kursk was my first military operational saturation dive. Sailors were still alive below before we got there. I trained for 6 years for that dive. Although unsuccessful it was what I signed up for. It was like a dream come true to help someone with my skills. I can imagine all that participated on the rescue of Rebel Heart felt the same way. All those wasted tax dollars took our team to Africa, Afghanistan and Iraq doing EOD work.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:29   #758

Huh you are mis reading the comment where I misread a comment . I am impressed how the cf posters are level headed. Maybe like you I am poised to get pissed at those that argue about some cost. It's a good bunch here and I apologized for my jumping on a poster who's point I misread. Not many have suggested they should be billed. Including me.

Old 07-04-2014, 20:39   #759
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Sat dive. Time to gear up and go raise that HR!
Old 07-04-2014, 20:39   #760

I am happy to hear the positive news. I am sending the Rebel Hearts positive thoughts their way! Hope we hear that all is well soon.
Old 07-04-2014, 20:54   #761

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
There is a donation fund setup for them, I think it's listed back on page 31 or so. The money goes directly into their Paypal account, so it's going to the right people.
Yep, the kink got burried - thread is growing fast! Here it is just in case: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/djWq3/ab/03B9I0
Old 07-04-2014, 20:59   #762
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Sat dive. Time to gear up and go raise that HR!

I don't know what pisses me off more arm chair sailing or arm chair parenting comments. While I was at the hardware store today these kids came up grabbing my leg screaming and yelling (playing) and their mother just glared at me at me while her husband paid for their stuff. I had just left a meeting was wearing a key west suit and they coated my pants with something I'm not going to be able to get out and she looked right at it.

How about you apologize for your insane kids.? I did not really mind the kids as much as the parent not saying anything about them grabbing me and running all over the place screaming. Her face is what I picture in my head when reading negative comments tonight as they get into their 60k Escalade. In my mind it's her calling Charlotte a bad mother.

Donate to good parents, click this link before you respond to anything on this forum, not matter what post the link below.
https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/djWq3/ab/03B9I0
Old 07-04-2014, 21:15   #763

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

This is what some folks over on the SSCA FB site are using as there profile pic on Facebook for those interested. It is spreading quickly.
Old 07-04-2014, 21:23   #764

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Looks like MarkJ called it correctly. Eric's passing the ship's wheel over to the Navy RIB. It kinda chokes me up to see that.

(click on the image to enlarge it)
I agree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-04-2014, 21:26   #765

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
And Mike Plant forgot to check his keel-bolts. wtf
YO Monkey Man, I resent your post with regard to Mike's abilities as I sailed often with him when he was not racing offshore. I personally went over the boat with him before he left Newport, and I can assure you the bolts on Coyote were tight at the time of departure. He was a good friend, a mentor, and probably more sailor than you'll ever amount to in your lifetime.

RIP Mike, every time I go sailing you are there along for the ride buddy
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico