Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 01:57   #601

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsigler View Post
Yeah I very seriously doubt they'll ask for anything. I'd just like them to have some good news/support when they get back home.
Yes. Same sentiment here.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:09   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Yes. Same sentiment here.
I'm mostly just annoyed that most media portrayals make it seem as if he woke up one day and decided he wanted to be Captain Ahab and threw his family on a sailboat.

He is a qualified, experienced sailor who prepared for this and just got screwed by circumstances.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:21   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks Ann, that's exactly what I was thinking too

This thread is fast losing any character it started out with so let me just post:

My thoughts are with Eric and his family at this trying time

&

Thanks to Atoll (and others) for attempting to take positive action, sorry it didn't work out.
All of our thoughts and best wishes are with them.

I'm looking at this from a practical perspective. They've just suffered a huge setback, and there are still expenses on a daily basis, even just to feed the kids. What better way to lighten their burden without bothering them, than to donate anonymously?

Well wishes are nice and all, but they don't pay the bills. Cash does. Every little bit helps, and I'm sure they'll realize it was sent with the best intentions.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:22   #604

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, guys,

It's late, now. For me.

But consider this. They've lost thier home; their dream. Do you not think they should be given time to consider their new direction?

They are people. They have been through a totally harrowing experience.

Please, please, let us give them space to process what they've been through.

Their shoes are some in which that most of us have not walked.

ERIC & CHARLOTTE: WE ARE THINKING OF YOU AND WISHING YOU THE VERY BEST.

Love,

Ann
Old 07-04-2014, 02:27   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well, guys,

It's late, now. For me.

But consider this. They've lost thier home; their dream. Do you not think they should be given time to consider their new direction?

Love,

Ann
Yeah I don't think any of us are debating their right to privacy in any way. Just trying to show some support, no strings attached.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:46   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsigler View Post
I'm mostly just annoyed that most media portrayals make it seem as if he woke up one day and decided he wanted to be Captain Ahab and threw his family on a sailboat.

He is a qualified, experienced sailor who prepared for this and just got screwed by circumstances.

The media...

that's a rant that would raise my blood pressure 50 points, at least! I just take it with a grain of salt. They don't even pretend to try to get the facts straight, and they slant everything!
Old 07-04-2014, 02:51   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
The media...

that's a rant that would raise my blood pressure 50 points, at least! I just take it with a grain of salt. They don't even pretend to try to get the facts straight, and they slant everything!
Yeah, I can deal with it when it's an unfair attack on some abstract idea. I don't like it, but I can deal.

Less so when it's an actual person.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:06   #608

Quote:
Well, guys,

It's late, now. For me.

Love,

Ann

What better way to allow them the time to consider all of their options than by giving them money? This way they don't have to worry about petty things like daily expenses, or taking a job just to pay bills.

We're all wishing them the very best, it's just that some are doing it in a practical way.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:13   #609

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
In response to some looking for the silver lining and suggesting things like a movie deal or book, well I always try and see a positive when the crap hits the fan also. First off both Charlotte and Eric have documented their journey quite well both in the written word and pictures. 2nd, their kids have the cute factor in spades. 3rd, many dreamers out there that have wanted to do the same thing, and finally they have received world wide exposure because of 1 and 2. News organizations of major media outlets have been merged into the for profit entertaining programming and as such have gotten a bit lazy. The good quality pictures posted on their blog and that cuteness factor of the girls was easy picking for these news outlets. There is a chance to turn this around into a positive, I just don't know the nuts and bolts of how to do this. Maybe a media consultant or other professional could present them with options?
well.
i think #1 they need to hire a publicist/media agent with connections to publishing and harpo/A&E or whatever..pronto.

like right now.

do the morning talk show circuit.
sign the book deal(s). (eric, there is no shame in using a ghost writer) get the upfront cash.
and their story has so many angle to play
man v woman
the kids.
dreams..living a dream....to have it crushed.
the heroic rescuers
...btw reading their blog makes one wonder if they were even on the same sailboat.

everyone more or less tries to sell "dreams"...but what about when the dream goes horrible wrong? (fear).
imvho, there is a balance of dreams(greed) vs fear...always
imo, right there is the enormous potential with their story if they choose to monetize it

what i think they should not do is go hide out in NM or whatever and post 10,000 word essays on their blog.

while i think they can tell their story anywhere and whenever they want..if the goal is to maximize and secure the family's future...they absolutely must grab this media bull by the horn and drive it to where they want to go.

if they wait for this media attention to die down.....it might be too late.

jmho

say what you want about eminem, but his lyrics might be spot on here.
Quote:

"Lose Yourself"

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted. one moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:14   #610

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I don't have much financially but my kids are grown up and they still have little ones. Surely it won't force me to live under a bridge by parting with a few bucks.
endoftheroad
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16   #611

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Well, guys,

It's late, now. For me.

Love,

Ann
Somehow you seem to have got the mistaken idea that donating money via this site is invading their privacy? Of course we all know they've been through a very harrowing experience and fortunately, as you say, most of us have never walked in their shoes. I haven't seen anyone on here even talking about not giving them time and space so you keep cautioning against something that nobody here has any intention of doing, or at least hasn't said so. Of course there are plenty of others out there who WILL invade their privacy in the most cruel and inconsiderate ways, but those folks won't have voluntarily donated money and most will have no idea about cruising or what this family has been through, just that it will get them some headlines.

On the subject of money, if you've read their blogs, they are not wealthy at all. They both have the ability to earn a living so over the long term they will be OK. Eric is currently earning money at a rate fast enough to keep a cruising family on a sailboat going but not enough to purchase all the things a young family will need almost immediately after coming ashore such as food, clothing, a vehicle or way to get around, an apartment, etc. all things that cost money. IF your intuition about Eric is right (extremely doubtful IMHO), and he sees this an some kind of affront and wants to turn down the money donated to them, then he can do that. But I'm pretty sure that he'll see any donations for what they are, an expression of support for him and his family from people who wish them the best in whatever direction their new life takes them.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:47   #612

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Do we really have to keep hearing from the same commenters on this forum over and over. I am here to get some new info on their situation, if any, some of you need to quiet down a bit and we will figure out how to help!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:49   #613

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

wow this thread is growing faster than i can read it. I am glad there OK and it really sucks about there boat. Any chance we can get the link for donations on a new thread and make it stick to the top of the list.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:54   #614
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Well, guys,

It's late, now. For me.

Love,

Ann
I support the Cate's feelings on this 100%. I will continue to wait until Eric and Charlotte can tell their story. I'm not going anywhere for a while. They need to work through the trauma.
I need to work on my dodger...
And as mentioned by several people- its just stupid to try and judge them without their story.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:59   #615

Boat: Valiant 40

Heavens, I've been up to my eyeballs working on my boat the past week and have not stopped by the forums. What do I see on CNN this morning but a story about Eric and his family. Tore over here and waded through this now 16 page thread.

Thank God they are OK. What a tragedy that their dream has ended this way, and even moreso that it has become a public spectacle.

More than anything, I hope that this does not dampen the spirit and the dream that took them this far and that their future is as bright as their hopes were, be it on a boat or not.

Regarding salvaging Rebel Heart, when the idea first surfaced in this thread I thought "I could help. That would be cool." but the reality of it may be that the risks/time/cost involved don't really add up in the most important equation which is how to best support Eric and Charlotte. Better just to offer financial support, which I am more than happy to contribute when a viable destination for it gets relayed on this thread.

Lastly, I want to say I'm disgusted by some of the posts on this thread, but am not surprised given some of the authors. It is saddening that we have a couple of members who behave this way and use situations like this to try and validate their credentials. Just goes to show that a substantial marine resume is no guarantee of good judgement or character.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico