Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2017, 13:40   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Drug interceptions on the high seas

This operation was in the press months ago and was reported on CF. I'm not sure why it was re-released. Maybe to make someone some points perhaps?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 13:43   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
It'll probably go the same as our right to carry a handgun onboard our boats. If we enter your waters it's your rules on guns, same would apply to drugs.
Good comparison. Hopefully this will be the case. Given the amount of cross-border sailing that happens on the Great Lakes, and I believe on the lower mainland between BC and Washington, there will have to be some sort of operational awareness on both sides.
Old 29-03-2017, 16:57   #48

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Unfortunately yachts have been boarded on the high seas by the "police of the world" USA coastguard, in international waters.with highly intelligence communications ( how many people do you have on board sex age etc, the skipper got the crew to stand on the aft deck instead of telling every one in listening distance).
Unlike in most countries a safety check does not include pockets of clothing etc etc.

If I am in international waters an the offical vessel is flagged in my country an I will comply, if not then they are not coming onboard, might be time some nations realised that the don't own the world , an not everyone is subject to their laws.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 17:21   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Unfortunately yachts have been boarded on the high seas by the "police of the world" USA coastguard, in international waters.with highly intelligence communications ( how many people do you have on board sex age etc, the skipper got the crew to stand on the aft deck instead of telling every one in listening distance).
Unlike in most countries a safety check does not include pockets of clothing etc etc.

If I am in international waters an the offical vessel is flagged in my country an I will comply, if not then they are not coming onboard, might be time some nations realised that the don't own the world , an not everyone is subject to their laws.
And when your country is contacted and the US is given permission to board and inspect, what will you do? That is how it works.

Say you are heading up the coast of Central America toward the US West coast in international waters. If you are flying an NZ flag a patrolling US vessel can request permission from the NZ embassy in DC to do a drug interdiction inspection. They will undoubtedly get it.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 17:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
PS All other things being equal, from a boater' perspective, I'd much rather read the news form the int'l waters (key word here "int'l") of "another pirate crew arrested and tried" than "another drug haul intercepted". In local waters both news should be welcomed.
I agree completely. This "war on drugs" is unwinnable. Thousands of people are being killed in this "war". A vast amount of law enforcement and military is distracted.

I don't use drugs for recreation. I am in Holland where my boat is and the Dutch have legal cannabis shops and on the whole, they are cleaner and more low key than whisky bars. The amount of resources and money wasted on this "war" could be better used for more productive pursuits.

Let the druggies get their stash legally, require doctor's prescriptions and monitoring, tax drug sales and use the tax proceeds for rehab programs and Social Security.

Let the Coasties and the Navy direct their resources where they really matter.[/QUOTE]

The Countries that enforce it the most on Drugs normally have the most Corruption.

I am not saying the enforcers boarding your boat are corrupt though.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 18:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
And when your country is contacted and the US is given permission to board and inspect, what will you do? That is how it works.

Say you are heading up the coast of Central America toward the US West coast in international waters. If you are flying an NZ flag a patrolling US vessel can request permission from the NZ embassy in DC to do a drug interdiction inspection. They will undoubtedly get it.
There is a major problem in your suggestion,
To search for drugs a warrant is required under the misuse of drugs act, this must be signed by a Judge or JP An include an affidavit stating the suspected cause to search. An authorises a " police constable" ( not a coast guard personal) to enter an search.
What grounds is the warrant going to be issued on, something like, well we were told by another countries coast guard that a yacht is sailing along in international waters an they think there might ( just might) be something on board , not known what but we just want a look. No Judge is going to issue this.

I don't see many other countries trying it on .
Old 29-03-2017, 18:26   #52

Quote:
To search for drugs a warrant is required under the misuse of drugs act, this must be signed by a Judge or JP An include an affidavit stating the suspected cause to search. An authorises a " police constable" ( not a coast guard personal) to enter an search.
What grounds is the warrant going to be issued on, something like, well we were told by another countries coast guard that a yacht is sailing along in international waters an they think there might ( just might) be something on board , not known what but we just want a look. No Judge is going to issue this.

"Paul L. probably did not read post 23" about the NZ yacht.
Old 29-03-2017, 19:00   #53

Just goes to show I may be very right regarding warrants an affidavits, this is why I Ove NZ innocent until proven guilty.
Shame the police of the world did nothing to stop terrorists blowing up a ship in Auckland harbour ( Rainbow Warrior) even though they knew about the terrorists attack well in advance

Double standards
Old 29-03-2017, 19:13   #54

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:

Perhaps correct. Have you left instructions for disposal of your remains if you resist? I hope so. although there nmay be not remains and your boat may quickly sink. BTW, I am a USA citizen, but unsure of the law, while I am fairly sure of common sense in the situation, and I have nothing to hide. It is not necessarily different than pirates, but government vessels may have more fire power. Your choice.
Old 29-03-2017, 19:30   #55

Then what you are suggesting is that your own officials are nothing more than Pirates.
I am not American an hence if I am not in your country I do not have to abide by your laws .
If I am within your legal boundaries then I will.
Old 29-03-2017, 19:48   #56

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Then what you are suggesting is that your own officials are nothing more than Pirates.
I am not American an hence if I am not in your country I do not have to abide by your laws .
If I am within your legal boundaries then I will.
Looks like the Kiwi Navy plays the same game:
Quote:
. A New Zealand frigate involved in an international operation in the Western Indian Ocean has seized almost 260kg of high-grade heroin worth about $235 million.

The HMNZS Te Kaha has been working in a United States-led operation and seized the huge quantity of drugs after searching two boats.

Because the frigate was operating outside of New Zealand waters, the boats' crews were allowed to sail on after the seizures.

Small quantities were kept for testing, but the rest of the heroin was dumped into the ocean, using a fire hose that ran through a modified green wheelie bin.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 19:58   #57

Was that not an international responce to privacy, involving Russian, USA, Canadian Australian Dutch an a large number of other countries under an international agreement ( it might have been UN sanctioned).

Far different than what is being discussed here, further more as the article pointed out there were no persons detained etc.
Old 29-03-2017, 20:08   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Looks like the Kiwi Navy plays the same game:
I wonder if the crew were sick after testing.
Old 29-03-2017, 20:10   #59

Quote:

Just like in a car you can be stopped and boarded by Marine and Harbours just to be breath tested, the stops are routine and supposed to be random. I would think other drugs wouldnt be regarded differently.

Just as the 5 eyes states of US, Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand conduct anti-piracy missions off Somalia, UK and US anti-drug missions off Grenada, these activities are sanctions from the UN and are entirely legal. There are doubtlessly many other UN sanctions in other locations Im just not aware of.
Old 29-03-2017, 20:16   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair A View Post
I have had my vessel boarded from a Sub rising at dawn. I could do nothing but agree. They found nothing of course. I know the vessel that they were searching for. It was found and detined and eventually lost to the owners in jail.
Ho Hum. If you are clean, in my view, it is best to let all authorities and military to check. They have the big guns. Cheers A
Submarines havent carried deck guns in 70 years