Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 16:44   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Derelict Boats - Not Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I would guess they nay-sayers here are more the newer boat owners. I know in Ca. where I am from, it was the DIY boat building Mecca of the US. Westsail and others sold kits.
In the first 2 pictures is my Olympian 34 I bought wedged in a Canyon in the Barstow Desert. It came with 3 feet of rain water and a dead Coyote in it.
Sweet looking sailboat.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:01   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sweet looking sailboat.
Why thank you, I named it Radiance and it has been all over the North Pacific with it's current owner. I had many great adventures, many wonderful experiences and most of all met fantastically self-reliant people that have become life long friends. Not having followed that hobby would have robbed me of so many good times.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:17   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

olympian 34 was a good boat...last of hank mc kunes good ones. one step before yorktown. i loved mine.

"San Diego had a nice free anchorage. Got taken over by bums with derelict boats. I considered moving my boat there years ago, and spoke with some of the boat owners. "Why ya have 3 boats?"..."Well when one sinks I have 2 left... get them free so what the hell?". Decided that free anchorage was not worth the price! San Diego closed the anchorage and created rules, rules, and more rules. Big pain in the ass to anchor anywhere in San Diego now thanks to the legacy left by those bums and their derelict boats. "

as far as san diego free anchorage and the derelicts---i sat in that place , in a dinghy, motorized, watching. i saw 3 catalina 20-22 sloops dragged in to that anchorage by someone from coronado cays, and left without anchors--just left the lines in the water off the bow.
many of the derelict boats were just that, but many were beautiful-- formosa 51 in process if preparing fo rround the world sailing, owned by a navy retired SEAL team sailor, one owned by a practicing and licensed physician, who CHOSE to live there, some other boats returning from long distance sailing adventures-- but the most impressive sight i saw in the free anchorage was that of the coronado cays richie riches dragging their 20-22 ft sloops to be left sans anchor... then they called the harbies to report a boat in anchorage 8 dragging anchor... have heard it all and seen plenty. it was NOT derelicts in anchorage 8 that made the harbies close it down--was the coronado cays residents....something many do not know nor have awareness of, as they didnt truly pay attention to the goings on at the time--i lived in anchorage 9 and coronado moorings during these times of closing the anchorage in nasty city---yes, i was there to see what truly happened.
not all derelicts are as they seem, nor are all snotty yotties decent folk.(always bring a hand held radio to listen to the calls, or in case of need when in a dinghy.....)
..the news media was very very biased against the free anchorage.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:22   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Did you read the first post and look at the pictures???????
some have blinders on I guess.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:26   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

looks like was a sweet steelie--nice lines, rig on deck...just needs a bit of buffing, no fewer than 72 strokes, and ta daa,,, cruising boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:38   #81

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Some go through life seeing the glass half empty, while others see the glass half full.
Old 10-09-2012, 17:48   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oh Dear, Not going to touch that with a 10 foot pole....

But hows the flying???
You have the powers ,tell me..lol...been pretty good ..skyed out one day last week..sank to aprox. 300 ft agl and hooked a big ol thermal that took me to,well,as the old hangliding advert. used to say "goobs of altitude" ...I never did catch another one ,but the one was like an elevator to cloudbase..burrr it was cold way up there! circled above a rookery with about 7 buzzards and then went up and around with a red shouldered hawk to well over 4500 asl...thanks for asking...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:51   #83
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Boats are so emotional. I think sometimes we have blinders on. I'm sure some of the people who "desert" their boats think they will be coming back, that some great miracle will happen and they'll be able to save her.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:54   #84

Boat: Tartan 30

It's not blinders, it's called perspective.

One mans derelict might be another mans dream.

Of course, I don't remember anyone in the trailer park complaining about the run-down trailers... What makes cruisers think they are so special? Just because they opted for a new model double-wide?
Old 10-09-2012, 17:54   #85

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Now, some might call her a derelict, but I plan to restore her with a thorough wire brushing, followed by two coats of Rustoleum. . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wreck-in-Ridley-Cove.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	46298  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:55   #86
cruiser

We need to stop celebrating the bums, derelicts and left-overs in life... and instead begin appreciating success, initiative and the finer things.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:59   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The same could be said for the modern bleach bottles people call boats these days...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-09-2012, 18:02   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We need to stop celebrating the bums, derelicts and left-overs in life... and instead begin appreciating success, initiative and the finer things.

It will be the sound of one hand clapping...
Old 10-09-2012, 18:48   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I like to think of myself as a very successful bum and leftover. I have achieved happiness. Does that count..

Success to 10 people will look like 10 different things. It's why we're having such a lovely discussion in the first place...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:30   #90

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

When ya have sailed boats that others might call junk to many far away places your out look is a bunch different !! The boat shown has possibiltys, one would have to go aboard and see for your self just whats there !! a bunch of surface rust don't mean a thing !! most any steel boat has some rust some where !! I know this cus I had one for over 30 yrs !!And was constantly fixing rust !! it's a way of life with steel !! with glass ya have blisters, with wood ya have rot, with aluminum, well I don't know about but Im sure they must have some problems!! LOL all sailor chic and we were saying is that maybe with a bunch of time and a bunch of work and probly a bunch of money, ya might have a fine cruiseing boat that would take ya there and back !!To bad most of ya are happy with your Plastic Fantastics that ya spent more for then most of us can even imagine!! Just sayin only a dreaming man can see the possibiltys in this boat !! and dreamers have done a lot for the world !!

Tags
florida