Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 17:09   #91

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Re: Delivery -> sleigh ride

Lol really 90 posts on this. Must be a sale on furniture.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-02-2016, 17:43   #92

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Risk vs reward is the mindset of a gambler. Likelyhood vs consequence. Is the proper way to do it. Reward shouldn't be a big part of the equation.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-02-2016, 17:46   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

reward is just the meaning for making it happen; I.E. success of the trip, paint A to point B with every one safe and the equipment in good condition.

My goodnesss ..... why don't you come at me with a knife ......

BTW .... I do not gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Risk vs reward is the mindset of a gambler. Likelyhood vs consequence. Is the proper way to do it. Reward shouldn't be a big part of the equation.

Old 23-02-2016, 17:47   #94
Marine Service Provider

No furniture sale ...... members just trying to tear my reputation apart .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Lol really 90 posts on this. Must be a sale on furniture.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-02-2016, 18:56   #95

I've been lurking without posting for a while, but after reading this thread a few times over and thinking about it, I want to put in a plug in support of Mack.

If I was sailing in excess of 10 knots (fat chance of getting my tub any where close to 10 knots), I would most certainly be steering by hand. If steering fast by hand, I couldn't make a 140 ish mile trip in 140 miles. With the boat yawing all over hecs half acre I could easily see 140 miles being logged as 160 miles through the water or over ground, statute or nautical miles.

I could also imagine myself, high with the rush of a great run going home and evaluating the run with something like Google maps and maybe getting some inaccurate numbers back from Google.

I suspect it might have been a great run, the numbers in the log may not have matched the numbers on the chart. So what? The guy had a good run, that he was proud of and shared his imperfect math with his new online community.

I don't see any intent to deceive, just some mathematical inaccuracies that are an inherent part of navigation.

I have easily logged double if not triple the miles of the distance between two points on a chart and had no real idea of how far I traveled with regards to relationship of miles over the ground vs miles through the water vs miles on a chart.

Having said that, I can see why the community might not be thrilled with the handle of Master Coast Guard Captain, it does seem a little over the top.

"Dude" now that's a name no one would self apply where I come from.

Hehehe.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-02-2016, 16:52   #96
Marine Service Provider

This thread finally went dead

I will make a post of all my future deliveries, but will be careful of my language to prevent a similar occurrence that this thread was based on.
Old 29-02-2016, 09:48   #97

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post

I will make a post of all my future deliveries, but will be careful of my language to prevent a similar occurrence that this thread was based on.

Yeah, it was a great thread right up until it wasn't. Sorry you feel the need to tip toe but can't say I blame you. No doubt you'll continue unedited out on the water. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-02-2016, 10:01   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery -> sleigh ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post

LMAO....
My suggestion is.. don't take it so personally.. I've noticed that Americans are hypertouchy about little things..
Folks on here have followed a few of my trips the last few years.. sure I get slagged by a few.. but hell.. WTF do they know sat in the office or tied to the marina..
The rest more than make up for it..
Your running the 'New Kid on the Block' gauntlet.. be chill...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-02-2016, 10:17   #99

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Just wondering, this is a CRUISING forum, no?

Peace to all, calm down & relax, one or two knots, who cares in the cruising world.
Wouldn't want my boat pushed like this on a delivery though.

Ok, we all make mistakes occasionally, sometimes big ones too & sometimes we all have a hard time to admit them.
He admitted making a mistake.

Still seems he brought the boat to its destination without damage in tough weather.

Well done.

I think he was possibly just excited after arrival and wanted to share this.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 29-02-2016, 14:47   #100

Shame this sorry topic has been revived...

I must be the only one to hold a professional sailor to at least a basic level of competence?

Ie knowing how to use and verify charting software is set up correctly, understanding the difference between statute and nautical miles and not running out of fuel during a passage?

All the while charging $400 per day. While bragging about unrealistic and imprudent average speeds.

Then to top it off after politely shown where he went wrong he still couldn't see his obvious rookie mistake even given a fair bit of thinking time.

This is on his own software that has never let him down... How did he not notice discrepancies between his paper charts, onboard gps units and passage plans distances?
Old 29-02-2016, 14:59   #101

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

If you have never done a big mistake in your professional life feel free to throw stones :-)

No-one got hurt, nothing got damaged.
Where is the point in making this whole issue big?

Anyway a I agree let the topic die.Still I am not ashamed at all.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 29-02-2016, 15:33   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay.. he's guilty of poetic licence.. not the first person trying to make a living been guilty off that..
Hell... I got roasted on here for saying I did not charge more than I did because I did not like ripping folks off.. no one bothered to ask what I meant..
I was judged and found guilty of arrogance and saying folk who charged more were crooks..
Had anyone been Courteous enough to ask what I meant, I may just have replied that as I have no qualifications other than an IHCOC/Coastal Skipper and an expired Commercial Skippers ticket for limited coastal waters I felt that charging the same as someone who has paid for and done all the training and courses over a period off years would be taking the piss...
I could always have lied of course.. added Offshore YM etc.. who's going to prove different..
But.. no one asked.. just jumped to conclusions and made their judgements.
Personally I could not give a ****.. my best year was 19,000nm in 9mths.. my worst was last year with just 2890nm..
But.. no customer has come on here and said I am crap (except the bastards who tried to dodge paying me for a 17000 mile trip and ended up being sued and lost their case and reputation).. also.. most of my work has been for CF members.
I charge folk for my years of experience, mileage and fair record to date of getting boats to where they are wanted, and in good order.. and I charge what >I< think is fair..
If you hire a Pastry Chef you pay Pastry Chef wages.. Head Chef falls sick and 'Pastry' covers do you pay him Head Chef wages.. do you bollocks.
You just give a big grin and pocket the savings for as long as you can get away with it.
So.. unless the owner comes on here and says the OP broke the boat you've no call to Bash in this manner.. pointing out a mistake is one thing.. but an attack is something else..
I copped **** so responded in kind..
But personally.. if folk can get more than my rates.. best of bloody luck to them.. I honestly wish them well and hope they do well.
But attack me and I'll smack you in the mouth harder.. I really wish folks were as good as they seem to think they are..

End of Delivery Skipper Rant

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-02-2016, 16:06   #103

Relax boatie, I didn't think I've questioned your competance, I assume you know what a nautical mile is, and you don't seem to make unseamanlike and ridiculous claims as to passage times. But I must say I am supprised with your tacit endorsement of this guy.

Old 29-02-2016, 16:26   #104
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Was not singling you out Snow.. it was a general rant.. someone trying to scratch a living deserves all the breaks they can get.. at least in my opinion.
If those folks then come on here and bitch about me trying to do the same.. I figure they're to crap to cut it or.. can't handle competition.. especially if I'm operating 3000 miles away from their 'zone'.
I'm 67.. maybe I've got a couple of years left.. or a couple of months.. its irrelevant.. they're waiting in the wings..
I've no bones to pick with someone starting out.. its a learning process and.. reading a lot of posts on here the general impression is..
Speed is King... he'll mellow.. give him time.
We were all Zero to Hero once..

Old 29-02-2016, 16:40   #105

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
If you have never done a big mistake in your professional life feel free to throw stones :-)

No-one got hurt, nothing got damaged.
Where is the point in making this whole issue big?

Anyway a I agree let the topic die.Still I am not ashamed at all.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
I agree it shouldn't be a big deal, and I think the author of this post was excited about the delivery and just wanted to share that. Thanks, OP!

But another great thing about this forum is the stuff you can learn, which in large part comes from experienced folks like Snowpetrel contributing, and pointing out fallacies and discrepancies when they see them. It keeps things honest which certainly makes the forum more valuable!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery