Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 19:06   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Cutting Holes in Settee

I hear: ventilate - ventilate - ventilate. Currently, our sette/couch has openings in the top of the fiberglass seat, with wooden covers. With the cushions in place, no air is getting in or out. Both settes have three compartments, but water lines or wiring run through them.

I have not yet seen moisture/condensation, but wonder if I should put vents into the bases to allow air to flow when I start storing things there. If yes, size of vent suggestions? The sette is about 77" L x 30" D x 14" H.

Thoughts?

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 19:33   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
we actually vent all of our lockers and storage areas. You have lots of options, stainless vents, teak grills, plastic vents, etc. Here is what we did recently,
http://tinyurl.com/39cjms7

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 22:32   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
It never hurts to vent any closed space on a boat. The more vents you have on closed spaces, the less chance of dampness, and mold.

I like the look of wicker, so I found a place that sells the wicker for seating, and made up my frames from scratch. Its a bit of a skill to do wicker, as you need to route a groove around the inside, and then set the wicker on and force a reed down on the wicker and into the groove. At least that's what they told me at the shop. I ended up routing a shelf into the back face and just cutting the wicker to fit, then epoxied it in place. For extra security against something possibly punching through from inside the locker I added stiffeners on the back face.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 23:08   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefaa View Post
I have not yet seen moisture/condensation, but wonder if I should put vents into the bases to allow air to flow ...
Thoughts?
Your boat is an Island Packet?

Then my thought is that if Island Packet thought it was important to put vents in they would have. Its not some junkpile home built lets-just-slab-some-fibergalass-in-some-mold, its an high price range boat.

What do other Island Packet owners think?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 05:43   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
MarkJ,

Your confidence in production boat-builders is refreshing.
Old 13-06-2010, 06:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What & how Waterwayguy said.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 10:06   #7

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I would do it. I'd cut some vent holes next to the cabin sole and cover them with louvered stainless panels. Of course, then I would complicate things and add some small lights to the back of the panels that would be directed down on the sole by the louvers. The lights would then need brackets and covers and wiring and fuses and switches. This would add cost and time to the job exponentially but I'd probably do it anyway. Night lights would be nice for when we had guests and were docked.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 11:17   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Of course, then I would complicate things and add some small lights .

But you need fans from old computers to circulate the air, and the lights could flash.... you guests would prolly thing the boat is on fire and jump overboard....

I'm sorry that my 'do less work' didn't catch anyones imagination.

I tried all this stuff and its much better to just be lazy. I ripped 3 cooling fans out of a laptop cooling thing.... can you believe the fans were 5.3 volts? how the hell can someone wire them into 12 volts?

Beer is good. Work is bad.

Keffa, what have you got in those cupboards anyway? If they are under the seats are you going to something you need every day? No. You are going to put stuff in there you shouldn't have brought cruising with you anyway. (Probably your wife forced you to take it: "I'm not going unless the Turkish Otoman comes!). So if it goes moldy you can toss it in the trash.

I think I am helping here....

Mark

Old 13-06-2010, 13:10   #9

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Oh, I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that's what I would do. I was making fun of myself more than anything. I'm always down for some over-improvement even if I never finish it.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 13:32   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Kidding aside - why cut holes when they are really not needed. If you need to put something in those lockers that is moisture intolerant, then put the items in plastic "tupperware" type containers. Also I purchased a home vacuum packer (kitchen thing) and vacuum pack all my spare parts, pumps, and water sensitive items before putting them in bilges lockers, etc. Years later the part/pump is corrosion free and ready to use.
- - Changing away from the manufacturer's design by cutting holes here, there and everywhere also cuts a hole in the resale value of the boat. Leave the boat the way it is and use plastic sealed containers or vacuum pack anything that is moisture sensitive.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 22:00   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I was only having a bit of fun, and not at your expense...

Old 18-06-2010, 06:59   #12

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Thanks everyone.
waterwayguy - I like the way yours turned out. Especially moving to the black on the teak which is very clean and professional looking. The low voltage fans also make sense and would fit perfectly.

osirissail - I have put "least used" things in vacuum bags inside this area. However, that adds plastic against fiberglass and I suspect I will see mold form at some point. For now, I am using DampRid (desiccant) in there to keep the moisture level down.

MarkJ may be onto something. I should be putting things I want off the boat there.

Of course, I hate to dismiss sww914 - tricked out floor lighting may have a place in the refurb at a future date. lol.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote