Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 16:11   #1

Cruising/sailing and working out??

As I start to learn a bit more about sailing, I am coming to face some of the short comings and realities involved in being confined to the square footage of a sail boat. For example, I am an avid cyclist (ride 200 miles/week) and also do japanese Jui-Jitsu, karate, and judo weekly besides working for a living. Yes, I am busy, but I still think I could do all that and get weekends to do sailing and some week here and there to do longer trips to the caribbean and such. However, being in a boat has the reality of limited space for some things. It is clear, for obvious reasons, I will not be doing any cycling while sailing. Same goes for martial arts. For that matter, the only possible thing I could see me doing is swimming if I chose to do any exercise during my sailing time.

So, how does anyone do any exercise while sailing? What do you do? How do you get around it? Please, don't tell me adjusting sails is a work out. I guess if you do nothing at all and are 75 years old, I could understand that statement. However, I am very active and 40, so that will not compute or relate. I am sure there are a few "younger" people here that also get some exercise regularly, so I just want to know how you manage it.
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 16:18   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Cruising/sailing and working out??

Check out how Mike and Rebecca stay fit on their boat: Still spreading the (TRX) love
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 18:05   #3

Try a pedal power kayak for a replacement for your road bike. I think you will be amazed at how much harder it is to pedal through water than over land. I try to row while I'm out on the anchor, though I still carry the engine for a quick trip due to storms ect.
Peace
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 18:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Sounds like it's swimming and perhaps yoga for you.
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 18:16   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Build an alternator/bike rig and exercise onboard.

To me, exercising on a boat sucks big way: the smaller the boat and the further you go, the more muscle tone you lose. A big cat is best, I think.

Being in the islands it varies - few are OK for trekking, some will have space for jogging but most have some kind of a road that can be used for biking - probably an mtb is a safer bet.

You can also swim while anchored, this may balance the apparent lack of exercise somewhat.

In other words ;-) welcome to the world of triathlon.

But generally, if you are exercise freak, avoid cruising.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 18:29   #6

Boat: nothing
Coitus. Lots of coitus.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 18:33   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You may want to follow some of the routines these former martial arts studio owners use.

Zero to Cruising - stayin' in shape.
Old 19-05-2012, 06:30   #8

I started a thread a few months ago about doing cardio onboard. There were quite a few suggestions, so you might want to browse through that. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-66022.html
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 13:07   #9

Thanks to everyone for all the replies and links. I'll go check those out.

Personally, I hate swimming and running, which is what led me to cycling in the first place. I hated running so much due to the pounding my joints would take and all my junk jiggling that i took up martial arts in the odd case I get in a fight I decrease my chances of getting killed on the spot since I won't run away LOL......... I think the hardest part for me to maintain would be the cardio. If I was any good or liked swimming, that would be the easier way to go as you can simply attach a tether to your waist and swim in place while anchored (that is if you don't want to cover distance). Alternatively, I guess I could put a bike on a trainer on deck and spin in place for 1-2 hr. The huge downside I see to this is the large amount of real state the bike and trainer are going to occupy inside the cabins for the small amount of use I will give them. If it is a couple of days/long weekend, I would never do this. A week+ and I seriously will consider it. For strength or resistance trainer, that is simply not an issue. You don't require much space to do push ups, sit ups, and some dumb bell work outs, That is all you really need.

Thanks again for all the replies.
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 13:17   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

When I'm island cruising for a month or more, I usually loose weight because I have more time to be active. Swimming to the beach, snorkeling to look at coral and snorkeling for lobster can keep me busy for hours. Then there's walking the beach, walking the trails and sometime walking around a town. No car or bike, means lots of walking.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 14:00   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The lack of all the "labor saving" devices for the full time cruiser does add up to significant activity. We move about frequently, anchoring with a full chain rode and I never hesitate to put out a little extra. I consider my manual windlass part of my "gym membership". I crank up ten strokes and then reach out with the boat hook and shake the mud (there or not) off the chain,- another ten and another shake without motoring up to the anchor. I pull my dinghy up on davits by hand every night. I could often leave it down, but it stays cleaner up and it's more of my "gym". We kayak, swim, and still do a lot of bicycling on shore. I do admit to many hours of cruising sedentary at the helm or reading in the cockpit. I know that you warned against mentioning sail trim as an exercise, but there are many choices to perform tasks manually that can be significant. There are also those "Karate Kid" tasks,- "wax on/wax off"
Old 19-05-2012, 14:25   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dont ever forget the WALKING done for provisions, partying, etc..is much WALKING done by cruisers in ports....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 14:36   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I,am a former Marathon Runner,Ran 100 plus miles a week for 15 years,except when I,was Crusing,Crusing the Bahamas for a month or so I,sometimes missed running,however I,never gained weight and the daily routine of Crusing kept me in shape,swimming snorkeling ,all the normal.When returning Home I,started my running routine in about a week I,was back up to speed,I,think perhaps the break did me good.Go sail and focus on the Sailing you may find its enough.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 15:53   #14

Boat: contessa 32

Dsagmd: Sorry your naivete is showing. Sail alone if you think you are not getting enough of a work out. Need more? sail bigger water. Anchor out,row ashore (all weathers) walk to where you want to go ,walk back,do all your own maintenance,sail without an engine everywhere, climb your mast ,eschew mechanical devices, splice all your own friggin rigging, swim ,snorkel ,try to live off the sea,carry your groceries back from the store that you had to walk and row to, lift and stow them aboard,then repeat this process to get your water say 50 gallons (1 pint weighs 1lb.,do the math) now row back and get your ice that you left melting on shore.Still not tired from all that exercise? Get your bike into your rowboat and go biking then come back and cook your dinner, what you forgot the cooking gas? Worse yet you forgot the wine?
Very few here do all of this ,some still do however ,and many havedone some of this at one time or another. You will be in fabulous condition in short order.
Me? I'm looking to purchase an anchor windlass to make my life easier.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 16:19   #15

Never in better shape than while cruising aboard. 1.5 hours 5 days a week snorkeling and free diving continually to 25 feet will do that! then there's the folding bike to get provisions.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote