Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 22:43   #61

Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
For not inspecting? Why would he have any reason to think that overnight someone would go on his boat and change things?
Boarding or not aside, Yes I would expect someone to glance up at their halyard before they go sailing...

To me this is just a normal check of equipment condition...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 23:12   #62

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
they should be fixed with a sharp....no hang on Ill stop while I am being nice.
There is absolutely no need to damage the offending vessels equipment. Pull the offending halyard out of the mast, neatly coil it up, and leave it or them on the cockpit seats.

Sooner or later even the dumbest offenders get the message. Anonmity protects the removalist from avenging ratbags with weapons or ill intent hence the dark night.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 23:33   #63

Boat: Northshore, Vancouver 36

It's reassuring to Read people will take action when it's needed and can be done. I would do the same thing. But as someone already noted this World is changing fast!
Here's some food for thoughts.
A good friend of mine is a Marina manager in The South of France. He told me one day a France sailingboat is entering the marine shouting for help: the boat is making water and sinking fast! The hauling-out facilities are nearby and availible so he decided to give a helping hand.
Four months later the Marina receives a huge claim, for damaging this sailboat because it was hauled-out!

There you go, happy sailing!
samen II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:10   #64

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There is absolutely no need to damage the offending vessels equipment. Pull the offending halyard out of the mast, neatly coil it up, and leave it or them on the cockpit seats.

Sooner or later even the dumbest offenders get the message. Anonmity protects the removalist from avenging ratbags with weapons or ill intent hence the dark night.
That wouldn't work for me. I'm the only liveaboard on my finger and there are none on the one beside it either. Kind of obvious. I bought a roll of bricklayer's twine for this job in 2006 and still have plenty left. Tie the offending halyard to a shroud. Tension it up. Job done. Beer time - minus the dingadingading.

Aaaaaahhhh bliss !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:29   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I have no hesitation in dealing with a neigbour's slatting halyards. Sometimes I've used the tail of a mooring line to achieve silence. Adjusting lines and fenders if required is just good seamanship.

"I would never go onboard sombody else's boat in case I get sued" is bollox IMHO. Can anyone provide the court report where this has happened?
Old 05-02-2015, 04:23   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

A bag of cheap bungee cords goes a long way... I would have immediately boarded the boat in the OP's question, furled her up, and thrown a bungee cord around it... Then let the dockmaster know what I did...

Same thing with slapping halyards... halyard to shroud ...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:29   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by samen II View Post
It's reassuring to Read people will take action when it's needed and can be done. I would do the same thing. But as someone already noted this World is changing fast!
Here's some food for thoughts.
A good friend of mine is a Marina manager in The South of France. He told me one day a France sailingboat is entering the marine shouting for help: the boat is making water and sinking fast! The hauling-out facilities are nearby and availible so he decided to give a helping hand.
Four months later the Marina receives a huge claim, for damaging this sailboat because it was hauled-out!

There you go, happy sailing!
That's the difference.

An anonymous boater addresses the problem and they don't know where to send the bill.

The marina takes action and they have a multimillion dollar target (whether the marina really is worth millions or not it's seen that way).

I see this working with clients (non-marine related). The small ones are often willy nilly because they haven't seen the repurcussions. The big ones usually have procedures in place because they have enough exposure that they know what to expect.

The example of tying off the halyard is actually quite right. It's easy to say that the owner should verify everything before setting off but if the owner put the halyard away properly, it would be an easy thing to miss. You can pick apart the specifics but the point is when something is changed without the owners knowledge, you don't always see the implications. If someone was killed or seriously injured and it came out that you were messign with the halyard, I'm betting the court would hold you accountable.

All the legal implications may be right or they may be wrong but it's the world we live in.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:33   #68
cruiser

That's exactly the response I expected.

Most questions answer themselves when phrased properly, and trying to phrase them quickly reveals other answers, whether related or not.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:50   #69

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
This doesn't strike me as honest curiosity, this strikes me as an agenda driven attempt at rationalization.

If it is honest curiosity, rephrase your agenda into one yes or no question, and I'll consider answering it, depending on the respect for others that I see in it.

Have a good day.
Sorry, you're right. Probably should have left out the Ayn Rand reference. But I really am asking honestly (sorry if it doesn't come across this way ... don't know what "agenda" I might be rationalizing ). I just can't understand how you could take such an extreme position.

You say you would allow a vessel come to harm even when all you had to do is step on board to secure a line? You say you would rather have your own vessel damaged or destroyed rather than have someone step on board.

Why?
Old 05-02-2015, 05:04   #70

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
This isn't the first time on this board that you've gotten worked up over someone that doesn't act like you or have your same opinion. In fact you are even going so far as to try to denigrate him now because he isn't like you. Maybe you should be concerned with your own issues rather than than Jammer Six's? After all, his decisions have absolutely zero affect on you or your life.
Perhaps you could provide references Garrettw? I don't feel worked up. I feel honestly baffled by the extreme position taken by Jammer Six. I did not mean to denigrate, but I accept that my words were poorly chosen.

His decision certainly DOES affect those around him. This is why I speculated about Ms. Rand and her philosophy. And this is why I care.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:09   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, samen II.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:24   #72

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
............... I now can watch my boat 24 hrs. a day on the internet camera at the Landing and call the police if I see anyone messing around..I did call once after seeing them on my boat, the police never showed up,guess it aint a priority as far as they are concerned, no big deal..
Next time tell them you are on your way to the marina to confront the person. That should raise the priority level. If they still don't sound excited, tell them you're bringing a weapon with you.

Boarding someone's boat to save it from being damaged is one thing, boarding it to live on is something else entirely.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:45   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
Boarding or not aside, Yes I would expect someone to glance up at their halyard before they go sailing...

To me this is just a normal check of equipment condition...
I always do a "preflight' inspection before flying or sailing..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:55   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Next time tell them you are on your way to the marina to confront the person. That should raise the priority level. If they still don't sound excited, tell them you're bringing a weapon with you.

Boarding someone's boat to save it from being damaged is one thing, boarding it to live on is something else entirely.
Not to change the subject but I found out recently that the police have abandoned the "broken windows" thought process and now do NOTHING!! I reported a breaking and entering to my business twice in the last 6 months and they refused to even file a report!! Told me I should do my own investigation and when I found the culprit they said there wasnt anyway to prove it was him even though I found my stuff at a slavage yard where they took the guys picture and got his John Hancock after buying my stolen equipment.. Something is awry with police enforcement these days..I will not get started but I tell you there is something wrong with the cops around here...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:09   #75

Back in the late 90's, there was a guy that would sneak on to other people's boats and do nothing other than change bedsheets with a clean set of a different color.

The local press dubbed him The Bedsheet Bandit. They even caught him on camera once, but he was in disguise. After about 70 instances of bedsheet swapping, his activities mysteriously stopped.

He's become a local legend these days; a bit of the lore that surrounds any great marina.

One can't help but wonder what ever happened to this Bedsheet Bandit. Perhaps he's fluffing linens for Davy Jones.

...who knows.
Seasiq is offline   Reply With Quote