Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 13:02   #316
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
What I find very interesting, is those who claim someone who leaves a halyard slapping is a bad neighbour, and yet leaving rotting fruit or fish, or even moving the boat in vigilante retribution, is being a good sea-fairing person.

Huh.

I certainly understand that in a forum like this, anyone can post anything for entertainment, but if there is anyone in this forum who truly feels this adolescent behaviour is acceptable, I'm certainly glad y'all aren't my slip neighbour.

In fact, I'm a little embarrassed to be a part of the same boating community with anyone who truly believes this nonsense is justified.
As someone who entered with an aggressive manner.. and persisted.. whadya expect but a bit of sarcasm..
If someone's going to slap me round the head.. least I can do as a good neighbour is give him a decent reason for the attempt.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 13:13   #317
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Good morning, Ramblinrod, might we just be stirring the pot a little this morning?

However, I do think that the advocates of getting revenge over a solution are on the wrong track where slapping halyards are concerned.

Using this thread as a basis, I think chatting up one's dock mates is the best way to handle the situation -- and preferably in advance.

So, RR, what do you think is the best way to handle it? Assuming that it is your GF or good lady who is complaining to you that she can't sleep because of the racket, and that you live aboard in this marina, with no other real property?

Ann
Hi Ann,

For me, the CF is:

1. A source of valuable information and experience.
2. A place where I can help other boaters.
3. A source of entertainment.

This thread has mostly entertainment value and perhaps fodder for future sailing magazine articles.

Stirring it up? Of course. In the famous words of a favourite entertainer, "Stir it up, little darlin!"

I fully agree that a good boating community citizen discusses in advance with their slip neighbours their personal feelings toward unsolicited assistance.

Because I own a marine service business, we even have the discussion about what is free, friendly advice or assistance, and that they should never be afraid to ask, and that I will politely advise if it is nearing a "billable" issue.

For me and my lady, we are very respectful of other's property.

We sleep on board together about 60 nights a year, and I about 60 more alone. I would never step aboard someone's boat to silence a halyard, without permission. When the owner returned, I would advise their halyard was flogging and they may want to check it for chafe, and offer to instruct on methods to tie off, and then likely offer them to come over for a sundowner.

If they continued to let their halyards flog, both my wife and I would turn a deaf ear. We have more important things going on in our lives than to get all worked up about something this minor.

Ramblin Rod
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 16:26   #318

Originally Posted by Octopus
I would board any boat to save it or prevent damage... unless it was American.

Reasons:
  1. The very real danger of getting shot if the owner did actually happen to be aboard
  2. The very real danger of getting sued if things go wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
Really !!! And you came to this conclusion how ?? What decision making paradigm did you use to be able to correlate such a conclusion?
And i also quote Dockhead here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2046157

And the excuse in page 5 and 6 about fireweapon.

The idea of do NOT get aboard other's boat due the fear of being shoot, killed, became fish's food, (especially american vessel, no to offend no one) is just becase we (or maybe the media, Michael Moore or whoever) tought us that the american are always armed and in a defensive way, so , as european, is always better have ordinary "contact" with other people before act as there could be an unwanted side effect...even in all europe i guess if they found you in a private propriety they will shout you " go away or i will call the police"...that's it...

I hope that someone will board my boat in case of necessity, and quite sure i will do the same too (even with land based's week ender sailor's mentality) maybe shout before boarding, make yourself recognize before boarding, have witness.

For sure i'll will left some easy on the deck, just in case (as luckly as i am i will get robbed of them at the first night in marina....but that's another fact)

Just my 2 european-italian cents
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 00:37   #319

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hopefully, by the time they reach Europe, they will have learned how to frap their halyards, and try to behave as the locals.

Ann
Old 17-02-2016, 15:24   #320

Boat: Island Packet 40

The occasional oversight on a slapping halyard tends not to get too many people roused to a frenzy of retribution but what do you do about those obdurate recalcitrants who live by a to hell with the neighbours creed and leave them slapping every time they leave the boat?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 17:50   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The occasional oversight on a slapping halyard tends not to get too many people roused to a frenzy of retribution but what do you do about those obdurate recalcitrants who live by a to hell with the neighbours creed and leave them slapping every time they leave the boat?
They put them over by Ramblin Rod, he never notices it.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 20:58   #322
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
They put them over by Ramblin Rod, he never notices it.
"That's why I'm e-easyyyy, easy like Sunday mo-o-ornin'." ;-)

Don't sweat the little stuff folks.

Instead of letting wind noises get to you, think of them as beautiful sounds, powered by the force we rely on to propel our vessels to far off beautiful destinations.

True sea-fairin' folk don't get all hepped up about halyards clanging.

If you can't sleep through a clangin' halyard, how the heck do ya sleep thru an off-watch? (Boat is groanin' hulls poundin', waves splashin'. Halyards? Can't hear em at all.) ;-)

For those who can't, all I can recommend is to, "Take Sominex Tonight and Sleeeeeep".

When it comes to other peoples halyards, "Relax, don't do it, when ya wanna get to it." ;-)

I suspect the folks who get most worked up about clangin' halyards are those who never let go a line; just sit around all bobbin' on a finger, bein busy body over everyone else's business, wonderin' what they can find today, to get all upset about, and blame someone else for their generally miserable mood.

Interestingly, last year our marina put in a new "premium" pier. I announced to our yacht club e-mail group that we were movin' over to it, and all of a sudden, almost everyone in the club moved over to it. (So I guess I can't be all that bad a neighbour, if I move, and everyone comes with me, even though they have to pay 100s more than to stay where they was.) ;-)
Old 17-02-2016, 21:08   #323

Boat: wanting a cat

Octopus,

I guess if you call a mayday, you would not want to be rescued by an American, your choice, I'll just keep sailing...

What a stupid comment...
BTW, British by birth, American by choice, though I still love the Realm...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 21:26   #324

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
When I leave my boat, I tie off my halyards (usually).

If I am sleeping on my boat, I often leave them untied.

First, I enjoy the sound as I do wind chimes.

Second, I use them as a wake-up alarm that the wind has picked up, so I should check the lines and fenders.

When a slip neighbour mentions my halyards were noisy, I politely explain my reasons, and that is usually that.

Their right to quiet is no greater than my right to hear my halyards slap when the wind picks up.
And what if your neighbor enjoys blasting his music from his oversized cockpit speakers at all hours of the night? Is his right to blast his music greater than your right to have what most people would consider a reasonable night's rest?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 21:34   #325
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
When you say "board your boat" it feels like you're using that term like it's comparable to "enter your house" and it's not.

To me, "board your boat" is like step into your front yard. People step onto my front yard all of the time to get their frisbee back, or baseball, they even ride their bikes across the edge of it near the sidewalk. They don't feel like they are trespassing and neither do I.

Now if someone broke the door on your boat and entered the cabin, that's clearly breaking and entering and unless there were mitigating circumstances (fire, rapid flooding, etc and they tried to notify you, blah blah) there shouldn't be any reason for that.

Now if I were that antisocial, I'd probably anchor way, way out there somewhere no one would even think of pulling up next to my boat. That way it's very clear even to the least observant person that visitors for any reason are unwanted and my halyards can slap to my heart's content without bothering an entire marina.
In my opinion, stepping on someone's boat is more like stepping on the roof of their house, or like going through a gate to their backyard.

There is so little privacy in a marina, the least folks could do is stay off other peoples boats unless invited, or unless there's an emergency.

And I know, I know, the least folks could do is tie off their halyards, but again, shirt happens, and two wrongs don't make a right.

When all is said and done, I feel it is generally better to take the high road; grin and bear it, and mind one's own business.
Old 17-02-2016, 21:34   #326

Boat: Catalina 30

People criticize, in others, that which
they fear most about themselves.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 21:54   #327

My pappy always told me that stepping on a boat is like walking through somebody's front door. You never go on a boat without permission, as going into a house. Yes, like a house, there are situations that demand you take action.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 21:58   #328
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
And what if your neighbor enjoys blasting his music from his oversized cockpit speakers at all hours of the night? Is his right to blast his music greater than your right to have what most people would consider a reasonable night's rest?
Well, in my own cabin, I may hum along, tap my foot in rhythm, shake my booty, or do any of a number of other things if I was enjoying it.

If I wasn't enjoying it, and they were just kids havin' fun, I'd put a pillow over my ear. Been there, done that, their turn now.

If it was adults having fun, I'd go over and when they offered a beer, I would accept on condition they turned it down, finish it, and thank them for the beer and turning down the music.

If it was a bunch of obnoxious drunks, young or old, I would politely advise that marina regs require music to be turned down after 11 pm.

If they turned it down, no prob.

If they refused, I'd call the cops.

Other than the one occasion where I messed with the CD player, and then thought better or it, now, under no circumstance would I disconnect their speakers (a similar act to tying off halyards), as that would be messing with their property, without permission.
Old 17-02-2016, 22:08   #329

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Well, in my own cabin, I may hum along, tap my foot in rhythm, shake my booty, or do any of a number of other things if I was enjoying it.

If I wasn't enjoying it, and they were just kids havin' fun, I'd put a pillow over my ear. Been there, done that, their turn now.

If it was adults having fun, I'd go over and when they offered a beer, I would accept on condition they turned it down, finish it, and thank them for the beer and turning down the music.

If it was a bunch of obnoxious drunks, young or old, I would politely advise that marina regs require music to be turned down after 11 pm.

If they turned it down, no prob.

If they refused, I'd call the cops.
RamblinRod, that seems like a pretty reasonable approach. Are you reasonable enough to admit that halyards slapping all night bother the living hell out of some people? And that without the convenient recourse to marina regulations, those of us who aren't as laid back as you about slapping halyards should reasonably expect courtesy and consideration from nearby neighbors to silence their slapping halyards?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 22:50   #330

Quote:

Interestingly, last year our marina put in a new "premium" pier. I announced to our yacht club e-mail group that we were movin' over to it, and all of a sudden, almost everyone in the club moved over to it.
Ah, I thought that was a great clever way for you to get all those slappin' halyards away from you. You got THEM to all move.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote