Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 13:10   #16

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

You may get some of the old timers to say after awhile it all looks alike.

These are the same that if they lived on land...their backyard was boring.

Yet the reality is...look close and you may see not only one new thing every day back there but a whole different place depending on what you want to see....from clouds to insects to whatever.

The little towns along the way are the same...sure they can all look the same...until you start to notice the subtle differences. Stay long enough to meet and interesting person or two.

The real difference can be how far from the boat you are willing to or can venture. Marinas that have loaner cars open up all sorts of things to do and see. Some small out of the way places, people and other boaters volunteer to show you around or loan you their car. Some have golf carts. Take a bike and many places you now can get to sights out of town.

But ultimately it is up to you to enjoy the trip.Some hate it at less than 30 knots and some hate it if they do more than 20 miles a month.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:21   #17

Boat: Whitby 42

I have done the ICW 4 times with a 5 ft draft. Only touched bottom a few times using the tides in the tough spots. We anchor every night and have never had a problem even in Florida. You are looking at at least 20 travel days on the ICW from Norfolk to southern Florida. At a leisurely pace figure about a month and a half. Going outside is not easy as fall/winter weather going south is cold and wintery. Get Skipper Bobs ICW anchorages it has all anchorages, free docks, bridges and distances.

Mike
SV Bay Tripper
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:27   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Pick up some of the late Claiborne Young's cruising guides. Claiborne like to include the history and surrounding sights in his guides.
Those are good as well. I always liked his writing style. Unfortunately, they are a bit dated and there will be no more.
Old 07-03-2015, 14:06   #19

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I live in Charleston. It is a very popular and historic place. Fort Sumter, Hellhole of Secession and all that. 18th Century former colonial and later state capitol building. Beautiful old homes. Awesome restaurant scene. The Patriots Point complex of ships (carrier Yorktown II, destroyer Laffey, submarine Clamagore) and more. Probably the easiest entry to/from sea of any place on ICW. People have been know to stop going south when they hit here.

In my opinion it is one of the three best cities for sailors on East Coast: Annapolis, Charleston and Newport. Other places have lots to offer, but these three were all former colonial seaports and the historical areas are all "walkable." You can walk from your boat to see everything of importance.

There are pretty spots along the ICW south of Charleston. From NC to Charleston is a lot of man-made cuts. South of the city the channel is mostly natural, which in the Lowcountry means it meanders. An awful lot of travelers hop-scotch--down ICW from Norfolk to Beaufort, NC, then outside to Wilmington or Georgetown or Charleston. Then outside to Amelia/Fernandina or St. Augustine and so on down the coast.

Whether you go inside or outside or hop-scotch, you would regret not hitting Charleston. Adequate marinas with easy access to town.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 15:38   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you can get to the River walk in Savannah, pretty much the whole downtown is writhing walking distance, and there are all kinds of tours, trolleys etc.
There are docks on River Street, I do not know if they are available, nor the price if they are, but I do know there is considerable ship traffic on the Savannah River. This portion of the Savannah river is one of only two authorized landing areas for seaplanes in Georgia, but don't expect to see one. Just trivia
I lived very near and in Savannah for years whilst in the Army, I thought the fort to be quite interesting, Designed I believe by Robert E Lee. and was considered impregnable, right up until the invention of the rifled "Parrot rifle" Cannon. Decent tour, Tybee Island and it's lighthouse aren't worth seeing in my book, then Hilton Head if Golf is your thing.
I look forward to doing the ICW, in fact I hope to spend so much time touring the cities and towns, when I get to the end if I did it right, it will be time to turn around.
That's in a way, sort of the point isn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 16:12   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Try Youtube, "wicked salty" is one that may give you a laugh and some info.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 16:35   #22
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The question is whether there are sights worth seeing along the AICW? By this I mean historical/cultural sights. Or is it for the most part short hops between small towns that mainly are just a place to eat out in, broken up by a couple of larger cities with more to offer? Kind of like asking whether it is worth doing the ditch for the ditch, or whether you really only do it to avoid going outside.

And between sightseeing stop locations are you pretty much stuck to getting a slip each night or are there anchorages and mooring choices to reduce costs?
Cool boats....

Attachment 98465

Beautiful sunsets...

Attachment 98466

Would have been cool to catch a shuttle launch...

Attachment 98467

I think most of us do the ditch to avoid going outside. It's just easier, especially in the winter. For us, we enjoy dropping the hook at the end of the day, have a sundowner, and enjoy a good night's sleep.

The thing that jumps out at me while running the ICW is that the scenery is changing constantly. I've sailed from Miami to Cartagena, Colombia. Looking at nothing but water 24/7 for days is not all that stimulating for me. Unless, of course, you encounter some nasty weather.

In our brief cruising history (2 1/2 years and 5000 miles), our most uncomfortable, and oh **** moments have been going through inlets. Some on either Florida coast, and in the Bahamas. "The Whale" can be pretty intimidating even on a fairly good day. Coming in through reefs with breaks on either side keep you at full alert, like coming into Little Harbour (Abaco). I think the ditch is a handy way to avoid wrecking your boat, just by taking inlets out of the planning.

Though you have never actually said (that I have seen) where you plan to cruise once you leave, you'll figure out what makes you happy. Run the ditch when it's ugly out, and go outside if it makes sense for you. Either way takes a considerable amount of planning on your part.

I guess, what we don't know, what exactly are you looking for? What makes you happy? How do you want to enjoy your days, and nights?

To answer your last question, we rarely take a slip. Mostly we anchor out, with the occasional mooring for days, up to a week if we feel like a break.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 17:06   #23

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking Re: Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

[QUOTE=a64pilot;1768357]If you can get to the River walk in Savannah, pretty much the whole downtown is writhing"

I knew it! Last time I was in Savanah I saw this. I thought it was an adverse reaction to fried ocra. The OP has written many witty posts here on CF. I look forward to his comments and witticisms. I sense he is almost ready to take the plunge and head south. The question is, is the South ready for a Hunter cruising, arm waving Yankee with a bum knee? They better be, cause I think he's on his way!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:15   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
The question is whether there are sights worth seeing along the AICW? By this I mean historical/cultural sights. Or is it for the most part short hops between small towns that mainly are just a place to eat out in, broken up by a couple of larger cities with more to offer? Kind of like asking whether it is worth doing the ditch for the ditch, or whether you really only do it to avoid going outside.

And between sightseeing stop locations are you pretty much stuck to getting a slip each night or are there anchorages and mooring choices to reduce costs?
Thanks to those that answered the question.

I sounds that for the most part the sights really can be gotten to just as well by going outside and doing the ICW is really not a path that offers more sights.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You may get some of the old timers to say after awhile it all looks alike.

These are the same that if they lived on land...their backyard was boring.

Yet the reality is...look close and you may see not only one new thing every day back there but a whole different place depending on what you want to see....from clouds to insects to whatever.

The little towns along the way are the same...sure they can all look the same...until you start to notice the subtle differences. Stay long enough to meet and interesting person or two.

The real difference can be how far from the boat you are willing to or can venture. Marinas that have loaner cars open up all sorts of things to do and see. Some small out of the way places, people and other boaters volunteer to show you around or loan you their car. Some have golf carts. Take a bike and many places you now can get to sights out of town.

But ultimately it is up to you to enjoy the trip.Some hate it at less than 30 knots and some hate it if they do more than 20 miles a month.
I liked your comments above. Well put.

For some, "the journey is the destination" fits.

The small towns or coastal towns (or backwater fishing villages) can be some of the most interesting things to see, if one is not from that environment.

The natural environment too can be changeable and beautiful, if one looks for that.

As much as I enjoy coastal and offshore sailing, I am looking forward to navigating the entire ICW in the future. To me, it looks like a nice "slow boat" trip through parts of America I enjoy. For me: Slower pace = more time to enjoy the view.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50   #26

For those willing to fork out $50, here is a link to a pretty neat video of a cruise south on the AICW.

Snowbirders Home Page

I've watched it at least a dozen times. There are free videos on youtube but not as professionally done and complete as this one.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you can get to the River walk in Savannah, pretty much the whole downtown is writhing walking distance, and there are all kinds of tours, trolleys etc.
There are docks on River Street, I do not know if they are available, nor the price if they are, but I do know there is considerable ship traffic on the Savannah River................
There are docks and they are available. Active Captain will let you find contact information and current price. We usually go there for the Oktoberfest weekend and stay at the River Street Market Place Docks.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:44   #28

Spend an hour on active captain and you can see exactly where it goes and whats available for marinas and anchorages. Look around at the areas it passes thru to get an idea of points of interest.

I think you got a flippant response because you asked an overly obvious question. Of course there will be points of interest if you travel the length of the eastern seaboard. Are the point of interest to you? I couldn't tell you.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:04   #29

Boat: Sampson C-Strutter 60'

I agree with sailorboy1 and a few others about the stupid reply about alligators, swamps and such.

TAKE THE ICW and enjoy the scenery!

I planned a motorcycle trip a few years ago to visit one city in each state to ask one person 5 questions about Freedom in the USA. A friend of mine asked me:
.....wait for it
"Why don't you just call them on the phone and ask the questions?"

That would be like me telling you: "Why don't you just fly to Florida?"

Bottom line, Enjoy your trip to the extreme in the ICW or offshore.
kenamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:12   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
what use is the internet if all you get is "buy a book"
You might wish to use it for finding the BBB or Tourist affairs for the individual cities? Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah had been mentioned but things to see where only touched on.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water