Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 16:00   #46
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

i would say charleston .. savannah and st. augustine are important stops with jekyll and new smyrna and vero beach and indian harbour in between. there is a cool marina at the old marineland. but then again you may not like the deep south as much as some of us here. you can hop outside for each leg and or bypass everything. south florida is a bit of a crazy area that most try to avoid. the florida gulf coast has great sailing. there is a waterway guide available.
Old 08-03-2015, 16:42   #47

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

In central Florida south of St Augustine I would recommend stopping in Titusville. The city marina has transient slips for $1.00/ft per day or they have mooring balls outside the harbor. Straight across the Indian River is Cape Canaveral. They have transportation and daily tours. I think it is a must see. The marina has lots of manatee which are pretty cool.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:45   #48
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
I can't speak for all "old timers" but I have been doing the ICW since 1987. And every time is a new experience and every time we see something new. Of course we don't race full throttle from Norfolk to Marathon. Chuck
I always find your blog posts very entertaining, Chuck. Definitely one of the veterans out there, that enjoys what the ICW has to offer.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:50   #49

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

Google Kennedy Space Center, Astronaut Hall of Fame, Cocoa Village
(The theater additionally for live shows) just to name three within a short cab ride or walk from nearby marinas.
Sea7King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 18:27   #50

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

What a flippant useless response.

Yes I've been on this site a while, so what? If I had seen the answer I would know it and unlike most did a site search before asking and spent a couple of hours of web research on the topic prior.

Just what would some people do if they couldn't sit around looking for opportunities to be so helpful on the internet? But I'm sure your very helpful response will become among the reasons why this thread just swirls down the drain.
One of them there $40.00 Cruising Guides will work wonders.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:45   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
I see your point. Go get a cruising guide ? Ok, but it is already, with the advertising, slanted towards the obvious, meaning you are going to do it. I have bought several, and don't expect them to be written objectively addressing the questions you are asking. Coming here and asking the question makes all the sense to me. You weren't asking for directions, you were wondering about the hype. We are in the same situation, and plan to do it, and take our time.
Ericson38,
Are you planning this trip in a Taswell49? If so, carefully check your route for fixed bridges at 65'; in fact the Wilkerson Bridge at the bottom of the Alligator Pungo Canal is 64'. There may be spots where you need to go outside.
The entire trip from the Chesapeake starting at historic Portsmouth and meandering through the natural low country and man made cuts is a unique combination of natural beauty, wildlife and local color if you choose to see it.
I have done it many times and find new nuggets every time.
Just pay attention to the sticks and keep a good radio watch.
Relax and enjoy the trip.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:58   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

Don.. forget the Guide books.. just get your charts and plan your daily runs.. if its crap early start.. if its fun like say Beaufort,NC.. stay on the hook a coupla days.. every days a surprise.
No adventure if your a tourist.. your supposed to be an adventurer.. its what makes voyaging fun.. anyone can sail..
Oh.. and get out before Georgia..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:21   #53

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinSteve View Post
Ericson38,
Are you planning this trip in a Taswell49? If so, carefully check your route for fixed bridges at 65'; in fact the Wilkerson Bridge at the bottom of the Alligator Pungo Canal is 64'. There may be spots where you need to go outside.
The entire trip from the Chesapeake starting at historic Portsmouth and meandering through the natural low country and man made cuts is a unique combination of natural beauty, wildlife and local color if you choose to see it.
I have done it many times and find new nuggets every time.
Just pay attention to the sticks and keep a good radio watch.
Relax and enjoy the trip.
Thanks for that. Our cutter 49 came with the 63' mast and 5.8' Scheel keel, but we still plan to use the tides to our advantage. The things to keep additional notes on are bridges like you just mentioned, at 64'. The standard keel 49s came with 67 foot air draft masts, and are quicker.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:33   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

You'll be fine at 63' and 5.8 deep. Much of the route through VA and NC has little tidal change and is wind driven. Just keep a sharp watch for the little temporary bouys and be sure to honor them. Also be well aware of any inlets that may pose trouble in less than ideal conditions and be alert to changes where the inlets meet the inside channel.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 18:24   #55
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
I appreciate the links to the big cities on the ICW route. But I already was aware of them in the original post.

So other than those, is doing the ditch offer anything really else to see. This was the question and I feel the answer will not be found in a book/guide etc. but far my fellow boaters that asked the question of.

Don't really understand why some seem interested in turning it into some type of battle.
Just go AROVING! Explore! You might find you want spend a year at Oriental, NC, Morehead City, NC, or Southport, NC. Or around the Myrtle Beach, SC area. Anchor out in the same cove as Blackbeard. One could spend years exploring the coastal and sound and river waters of NC. Then there is the whole Chesapeake Bay thing. Outside? Water water everywhere...
TanzerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 18:15   #56
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Man, so much to see on the AICW, and almost no heavy (related to size) traffic. We're leaving for Rockport on Saturday. About 160 NM from Galveston. Anchorages far between, few options, and heavy barge traffic. The AICW is a pleasure. Make the run from Texas through Louisiana, and you too will appreciate what the AICW offers. Count your blessings.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:00   #57

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I haven't been to Tybee Island in 20 years but back then it was disgusting. We lasted about 30 minutes and then left. Maybe it's better now?
My favorite beach in all of Fla. is that stretch between Ponte Vedra and St Augustine. Much of it is still in it's natural state. I danced the horizontal hula there.
And that's tough to do in Florida.
Old 10-03-2015, 20:15   #58
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I enjoyed Jekyl Island. Historic buildings and the famous Jekyl Island Club, once the private playground of some of the wealthiest people on the planet. Nice tree lined streets for riding a bike or walking.

More info on the "Golden Isles" of Georgia Islands (Jekyl Island, Sea Island, St. Simons Island, Brunswick) found here:

Discover Brunswick & its Four Barrier Islands | Golden Isles, Georgia
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 19:35   #59

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
The question is whether there are sights worth seeing along the AICW? By this I mean historical/cultural sights. Or is it for the most part short hops between small towns that mainly are just a place to eat out in, broken up by a couple of larger cities with more to offer? Kind of like asking whether it is worth doing the ditch for the ditch, or whether you really only do it to avoid going outside.

And between sightseeing stop locations are you pretty much stuck to getting a slip each night or are there anchorages and mooring choices to reduce costs?
Why ask us? Buy the books, read, do your homework like the rest of us did before we did the ditch the first time.
Once you've done your homework you will know where to stop and what there is to see and where you can and cannot anchor.
I did the ditch once for the experience - and it was good - and now go mostly on the outside.
Old 24-03-2015, 04:42   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Is that like "I know the answer, but aren't going to tell and just wanted to post that useful info"?

Tags
water