Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 04:08   #46

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Amel, Hylas or Oyster

[QUOTE= TASSO]
My best advice is survey your surveyor! Ours came highly recommended by testimonials but he missed all the big problems and his fee was basically a waste of money. Also if you're not handy - you will need to be before you leave.

Probably the most important advice given, I have but one surveyor to choose from and I feel he's nothing but a waste of money!! Now my insurance is coming due and I need my 5 year survey done for it!!!

Yes please keep us posted on what you decide and why.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:45   #47

All,
I have read of the potential benefits a buyer's agent can provide. I know that some of you don't see the benefit or can easily do what they do or think part of the adventure is doing the research. I agree with that for the most part. I am at the stage now that I want to do an East Coast Adventure (cue Chevy Chase Vacation theme) like my friend from Nomad did 12 states in 12 days was it? We want to see as many boats that meet my criteria as we can.

My question to you is this. Will one buyer's agent set all this up for me or do I contact all the seller's agents along the coast and arrange showings separately. If a buyer's agent does this than that is worth it right there. Any recommendations for buyer's agent and I can get the ball rolling. Thanks for listening. Tell me if this should have been a different thread or feel free to move it.
chuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 11:37   #48
cruiser

Chuck,

We used one good buyers broker to make offers anywhere in the world. He made offers for us in California, France, Guernsey and ultimately we purchased a boat with his help than was located in England. The broker is located in Southern California.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 16:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
Hi All,
Wife and I have been re-searching, comparing, spreadsheeting many boats over the past year and have narrowed our choice down to these three (a few more made honorable mention). Budget is in the low $200s. All CC. Want safety, tankage, some sort of swim/gear step transom, genset, H2o maker, good size galley, crewed by 2, no teak you know the usual. Can get an Amel 1999-2003 or Oyster/Hylas 10 years older. Better selection of Oyster to choose from but most are in EU (pre-Brexit). Hylas comes second after Amel for features and I love layout of galley and passage to aft cabin (but rare in the $ range). Oyster is prettiest followed by Hylas then Amel but Amel ticks most boxes. Are my rose colored glasses broken, what am I missing. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.
Amel is the least nautical
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:58   #50

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Humm! How often have you sailed in one??? Just asking for a balanced POV. Your statement is not helpful for OP.

Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 11:26   #51

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Meaning?

Because unless it is very hidden I think you need some sort of data to backup your sole opinion.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 13:56   #52

Boat: C&C 37/CB

From Eleuthera: "Humm! How often have you sailed in one??? Just asking for a balanced POV. Your statement is not helpful for OP."

Agreed - but in fairness you have not shared what aspects/features of the Amel sold you on this selection.

I for one would be very interested in your opinion. Including the good and the bad. Looking at the Amel Santorin myself.

Please let us know what influenced your choice - and what you would have changed - if you had designed the boat.

Thanks - Tasso
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 14:13   #53

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
From Eleuthera: "Humm! How often have you sailed in one??? Just asking for a balanced POV. Your statement is not helpful for OP."

Agreed - but in fairness you have not shared what aspects/features of the Amel sold you on this selection.

I for one would be very interested in your opinion. Including the good and the bad. Looking at the Amel Santorin myself.

Please let us know what influenced your choice - and what you would have changed - if you had designed the boat.

Thanks - Tasso
I don't own a Amel but I have several friends that have them and I've been around them alot.
IMHO, they are purpose designed yacht that succeed in achieving that design brief, they are a yacht that has evolved over the years. I should say I only have experienced the Super Maramu.
Functional and safe is one word that can be used to describe them. I like how well thought out they are. Eg, so easy to know fuel and water levels, no stupid inaccurate gauges, companion way board that slides straight down no need to store it anywhere, watertight compartments, great engine room, fantastic comfortable cockpit, safe large usable galley, easy sail control plus lots of sail, as mentioned earlier equipped from factory with watermaker, generator etc, awesome tankage both fuel and water, seacock setup, best hull deck join in the business, good storage particularly deck lockers.
From a build perspective the only two areas that I think are a little below par are iron keel instead of lead, no one uses iron because its better than lead? And the outboard chain plates limit pointing ability ( being fussy).
Personally I think theres alot to like, the aesthetics are subjective.
Obviously there's lots more but the above are just things that come to mind.
Keep in mind Amel owners belong to a cult..lol :-)

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 14:36   #54

Quote:
ROTF...our here theres an Amel crossing our path every time we make a passage.

Great boat and as "nautical" as a blue water boat gets.

Now back to the beer cans!
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 14:44   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Humm! How often have you sailed in one??? Just asking for a balanced POV. Your statement is not helpful for OP.

Sailed twice in one---was not impressed with weight balance and sea keeping
Old 14-04-2017, 14:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post

Crewed on delivery from Boston to WPB -- it hobby -horsed in chop did not point well -and felt bargy--otherwse was comfy. It was 46ft Drew 6-6
Old 14-04-2017, 14:52   #57

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Sailed twice in one---was not impressed with weight balance and sea keeping
I think most would disagree regarding your seakeeping comment, they are a great sea boat.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 15:04   #58

I would look for a well kept Bristol 45.5 mid cockpit centerboard or its larger sister 47.7/ Most Nautical --designed by Ted Hood. Get cutter rig.No inside ...mast main furling. These are well balanced and most nautical.
Old 14-04-2017, 15:21   #59

Boat: a sailing boat

Bargy - OK. This is an argument at last.

You want something less bargy, you are not buying an Oyster either. Hylas i can't say but one look at SA/displacement tells you heaps.

Pigs do not fly.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 15:56   #60

Boat: C&C 37/CB

geoleo shared: "Crewed on delivery from Boston to WPB -- it hobby -horsed in chop did not point well -and felt bargy--otherwise was comfy. It was 46ft Drew 6-6"

I am surprised that the LWL vs LOA is a bit low on many Amel designs - could contribute to hobby-horsing as can many other factors. External shroud placement is a compromise for strength over performance. I notice that on the new Amel 55 - both of these metrics have been brought more in line with more modern designs.

Amels just seem like well built, sturdy boats for the money... Especially on the used market.

As a chronic gunk-holer, the draft and the pointing ability are the two things that throw me off.

What's amazing is how the people that own them seem to love them. I could tell you lots of good points and bad about my boat. Amel owners raise few complaints.
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas, oyster