Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 00:53   #1

ACCO Chain Failure

My ACCO chain failed in a little over a year. One section was a rusted pile that had to be chipped apart with hammers to move it out of the boat. The first 150 foot of chain looked brand new, then 75 feet was rusted and scaling away - some of the links had lost nearly half of their diameter! The last 75 foot again looked brand new! Although Acco says this is impossible considering their process when building the chain, I have found 3 other boats in this small community of yachts with the same problem and the same chain - Acco. All the chain was purchased within the last 2 years and there has been massive failure in the center section of the chain and everyone needs to replace this chain. Is there anyone else with the same problem - Acco chain purchased in the last 2-3 years that has severe rusting? I've always used Acco chain and never a problem in the past.
karmaladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 04:01   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: ACCO Chain Failure

Ours is 12 months old no issues . Arent they going to warranty it out?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 06:44   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Have a look here. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ms-108186.html

I'll never buy Acco/Peerless again. We switched to Maggi chain and it is much better.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 10:19   #4

I'm starting dialogue with Acco now. I certainly hope they stand behind their product. I purchased through West Marine and they have been helpful thus far. Will post as the process develops.
karmaladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 11:01   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'll say it again - that 1-800 number on the back of your credit card is your best friend. I have given up arguing with companies. I give them one reasonable chance to fix the issue then I call the credit card company and ask for a reversal of charges. Then it becomes the CC and vendors problem. This always works out, especially with AMEX.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I'll say it again - that 1-800 number on the back of your credit card is your best friend. I have given up arguing with companies. I give them one reasonable chance to fix the issue then I call the credit card company and ask for a reversal of charges. Then it becomes the CC and vendors problem. This always works out, especially with AMEX.
I think you would have a very weak case to reverse charges over a year from the purchase date. Particularly since this is also beyond warranty limits.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-01-2015, 15:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I think you would have a very weak case to reverse charges over a year from the purchase date. Particularly since this is also beyond warranty limits.

Mark
Nope... there are no limits I have discovered. I have gone back almost three years on an item well out of warranty. They don't care. The vendor doesn't have an option but to negotiate because of the contract they have with Visa or Amex.

Also, I am amazed that more visa holders don't take advantage of the warranty service. You send in your receipts and register just about anything and they double the warranty. I used that extensively in my home and it saved my butt several times. They don't cover boat stuff however.
Old 24-01-2015, 16:26   #8

FYI: American Express typically doesn't process disputes if the charge was made more than 180 days before notification of issue. They can (at their discretion) change this policy under "special circumstances".

I'm pretty sure Visa/MC is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Legend1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 17:24   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Interesting and timely.

I'm just now considering buying some new chain. I have 3/8 BBB without markings. I've been looking for a galvanizer, but having trouble there.

I've actually had the chain at one place that a said they would do it, but they seem to be having some issues. If it doesn't get done soon I'll go pick it up.

So anyway, what are the options to Acco?

I hear people talk of Maggi, but no US distributors.

Campbell?

Who does 1 st chain supply use? I just got a1 foot sample of 3/8 G4, it does not look to be galvanized, maybe zinc coated, but not HDG. I also got a foot of 5/16 BBB (fat fingered the order) and that came apparently without any galvanizing, light surface rust all over.

That killed my warm fuzzies.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 18:46   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Nope... there are no limits I have discovered.
Your very special then. No limits is incredible and I'm surprised that anyone would actually take a credit card given that at any time a sale can be reversed without cause.

As a vender that processes around 15,000 credit card charges per year I haven't experienced this "no limits" situation yet but maybe we are lucky. Even when we do get a charge back, it's always accompanied by a claim form that allows us to document that a product was delivered and the customer signed for it. Over the last 20 years we have had maybe one charge per year reversed. In cases where the customer is wrong, we sue and then ALWAYS collect.
Old 24-01-2015, 18:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Your very special then. No limits is incredible and I'm surprised that anyone would actually take a credit card given that at any time a sale can be reversed without cause.

As a vender that processes around 15,000 credit card charges per year I haven't experienced this "no limits" situation yet but maybe we are lucky. Even when we do get a charge back, it's always accompanied by a claim form that allows us to document that a product was delivered and the customer signed for it. Over the last 20 years we have had maybe one charge per year reversed. In cases where the customer is wrong, we sue and then ALWAYS collect.
No limits that I have discovered. You must arbitrate with Credit card company - its part of your contract when you accept that card, same with the person presenting the card. If you do not arbitrate Visa can refuse to allow you to accept their cards. Amex will go to court on your behalf, so when you sue, you are actually suing the credit card company. If that person loses there will be consequences yes. But mostly, the arbitration takes care of the issue.

He should try and contact the credit card company - that what the credit card protection is for. YOu get a representative working on your behalf.
Old 24-01-2015, 18:49   #12

Not to get off topic here, but I'm looking at my Amex merchant service agreement and it clearly states 180 days.

Legend1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 18:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend1673 View Post
Not to get off topic here, but I'm looking at my Amex merchant service agreement and it clearly states 180 days.

Pay no attention to that.
Old 25-01-2015, 02:25   #14

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Have always used ACCO chain, however the past two times it has rusted in 2 years and wanted to be replaced. Right now starting 4th season and back hundred feet are pretty bad and we will be looking at new in St. Martin in a few weeks, not ACCO but will have to see what's available there!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 04:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboak View Post
we will be looking at new in St. Martin in a few weeks, not ACCO but will have to see what's available there!
Budget Marine there sells Maggi chain. First-rate stuff.

Mark