Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-01-2015, 23:59   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
Interesting conversation with insurance underwriter

Today, I spend a while on the phone with an insurance underwriter, after I spent even more time with an insurance salesperson, who asked me a lot of detailed questions. Big Insurance Company!

The underwriter kept asking me about our "Hurricane Plan" and who will care for your boat in case of a hurricane?

I pointed out, several times, that Hurricanes are relatively rare in Calm San Diego - (remember no Americas Cup 'cause the wind doesn't blow here?) but the underwriter was insistent that I needed a Hurricane Plan. I then said no hurricane has ever struck San Diego ( this may be disputed by some locals who remember the hurricane of 1858 but I was close to the truth) and I was not sure how to generate a hurricane plan.

OH Well, no point in arguing details such as history and water temperatures so I remembered that my next door live aboard neighbor was a reliable Heavy Weather Support Person.

Do we all now need to conform to Florida insurance requirements?

Of course I did tell the underwriter that we tell the dockmaster when we are leaving (we are full time liveaboards and he likes to know stuff like that) and we ask the other five liveaboards on our dock to keep an eye on the boat. They have our cell phone number and will call if needed.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance