Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 18:42   #31

Re: ACCO Chain Failure

I have no idea why part of the chain rusted and some looks new. (I posted the original thread to this subject) and other boats have had the same problem. I have two anchor compartments above the waterline in my catamaran and each compartment has two drainage holes. The worse damage was the anchor on top of the forward chain compartment - this chain would have had sea spray more than the back compartment. The back compartment was the chain I was using and most of it looked just fine. There is a definite transition from good to bad and occurs over about 10 feet, then goes from bad to horrible which big chunks of the anchor link flaking off. The last 75 feet of the 300 foot chain looks pretty good again. The chain was in use one year, I was never at a dock. There isn't anything electric up there but the windlass with a breaker which is kept off unless it is actually in use. Stray current should have affected the entire chain, I would think, but there shouldn't be any stray current there anyway. WE are in the Pacific in Pacific Atoll nations - no marinas, no electrics anywhere. Usually we are in anchorages by ourselves. A friend got Acco chain and in the course of putting it into his boat he found one of the links was not welded together - it was an open link which he photographed and sent back to Acco and they sent him a new chain, so they do respond to that sort of an issue. I have no idea why only some parts of the chain rusted and Acco has mentioned the same - all I know is I am stuck with the problem. I just sent samples of the good and bad parts of the chain to Acco so we will see what their response is. I will also contact West Marine and ask if they have assurance that the chain they are selling is from Acco and not another source. I'm wondering where the poster found information that some
Acco chain is not made in the states and is imported? I can't find any reference to that on line. Could that person please quote their source? Thanks.
karmaladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 18:54   #32

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A similar thread on YBW

Anyone ever broken an anchor chain?
Old 26-01-2015, 19:35   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"I'm wondering where the poster found information that some
Acco chain is not made in the states and is imported? I can't find any reference to that on line. Could that person please quote their source?"

Here is a link to the ACCO website. Note that they show Domestic Chain and Boatman's Pride. The Boatman's Pride is significantly less expensive than the Domestic Chain. I assume that Boatman's Pride is imported but I could be wrong.

Also on their catalog pages, that show the Domestic Chain, it says "Made in America".

It doesn't say that on the pages that show the Boatman's Pride chain.
If I think of it, I'll ask them tomorrow.

ACCO Windlass Chains On Peerless Industrial Group
Old 26-01-2015, 21:28   #34

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Always had good service out of their G4 for anchoring and I usually replace my mooring chain every 3rd year or so. I've always favored 5/16 for anchoring - along w my gypsy - and that chain has lasted for quite a while. I've always admired it's,quality, really, but I do remember mark et al having some issues. Seems like it might have been 3/8

Sent from my iSomething using tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 23:49   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I have no idea why part of the chain rusted and some looks new.....
i'm not doubting your story, I'm just trying to understand how this peculiar fault could occur. Ya gotta admit it is kinda weird!

I hope that ACCO does the right thing for you, even if I can't understand it!

Jim
Old 27-01-2015, 16:18   #36

I wondered if there was some possibility of something contaminating the chain at the factory at the time of the galvanizing? Acco says they don't weld separate chains together but do the lengths in 400 foot chunks. If so then the problem I have would have been right in the middle of a 400 foot length, assuming I got the first 300 foot of the run. It is so odd to see totally new chain attached to absolutely flaking away and rusting chain in this situation. Maybe Acco will have an answer then they have a look at the chain. I am hopeful they will stand by their product. Thinking this was an isolated case, I already replaced the old Acco with new! Wish I had read these reviews before doing so!! I will be watching the new chain very carefully. I also will follow up with West Marine. They should be responsible vendors and not offer something that is unacceptable, if this turns out to be the case. WEst Marine thus far has been very helpful playing the middle man in this situation.
karmaladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 16:50   #37

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

Jan issue of Practical Sailor measured galvanization thickness, integrity and abrasion resistance. They didn't find any issues with Peerless(Acco), though coating on G43 was half the thickness of G30 or G70. No issues on Campbell. Maggi had thin but good quality coating on G70, but very thick with tendency to flake on G40. Serafini had links that weren't welded in line- offset across the weld, and didn't meet stated strength spec. Only one length of each chain was tested so far, so YMMV and longer term testing needs to be done.