Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 04:45   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: 40ft container yacht?

From my slip I can see 14 RC44 racing yachts still in their wrappings/containers that were just shipped here in 40 foot containers, with additional equipment for each boat shipped in 20 footers. It seems that they get shipped all around the world using this method and they seem to be holding up very well. As some might note, 44" is bigger than 40"; these raceboats have a bolt-on cutaway section which allows them to fit.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01   #17

I think RC44 might be a little out my budget at well over 100,000 euros, maybe take two zeros off the end :-)

Was intending to try and get the boat in on road trailer (then height would probably only allow the anchor through the door) slings / packing - now becoming absurdly expensive prospect.

Starting to think a couple of much smaller boats in 40ft container might be better, perhaps a couple of hunter Europas on respective road trailers might be better to get us started and on the water.

I think finding a friendly sailing person in Cape Town will be crucial to help out with sourcing and oversee packing - any contacts anyone? There dont seem to be many smaller yachts on the Internet through Apolloduck, maybe people use something else over there?
cirrus_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 40ft container yacht?

Would have suggested a couple of bilge keel Corribee's or a couple of Hurley 22.. both good strong boats that sail well.. bilge keels mean they'll fit a doddle.. encapsulated keels and easy to maintain.
Took a H22 across the Biscay in December and she coped with 50+kts and 10-11metre waves better that me..
Can pick up decent ones for between 2-3K with trailer...
in UK tho'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Island,

I have a good friend who is manufacturing the VX-OD. 19' designed for container shipping (up to 8 per 40' I think). Even shipping 1 take a 40' container since the mast has to fit anyway.

The trick is to get a few people to order at once so the shipping costs drop significantly.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:10   #20

Gonna be an awful narrow boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 18:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombats View Post
There is a builder of a very fine sailboat specifically designed to fit in a container. The sailboat from Chris Bowman's "Malabar Boat Works" out of Perth is a very nicely designed classic craft above the waterline and all business below. I don't think the boat would even come close to your budget that you are suggesting.
Sounds like a great concept, pity there is absolutely no information on this boat anywhere else.
salamander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht