Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 07:30   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: 25mm ignal pistol versus 12 gauge version

Quote:
we're also going away for the holidays, up to the frozen north, so maybe we can get together in the new year...
Sounds good as Sister in law has also just announced she will arrive for a visit over Xmas too. Fortunately we are headed south to Fort Myers for Thanksgiving as I aborted my early morning walk today because of the cold winds that arrived overnight.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:43   #17

Boat: csy 37

i also encountered this interesting little tidbit from the atf. just keep in mind that the orion 25mm is plastic and the polish 26.5mm is metal -

Flare Insert
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:00   #18

Since the idea was for some possible protection from an armed intruder, blowing myself up in the process seems counterproductive, so another 'bright' idea gets scuppered.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
robin3, i think you're going in the right direction. i'm also florida/bahamas/icw and have never felt that i would be out of range of u.s. coast guard or bdf (bahamas defence force) or another source of emergency help. my epirb may actually be overkill but it makes the wife feel safer and it was easy to explain to her how to use it if things got really bad....

we're also going away for the holidays, up to the frozen north, so maybe we can get together in the new year...
'Like minds' then but in my case my wife has been sailing with me for many years and many thousands of miles and through many gales and frightening seas and she fully understands both navigation and R/T procedures plus i the red 'emergency' button on our main DSC VHF radio gives a similar easy use option for an initial call for help.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:38   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i also encountered this interesting little tidbit from the atf. just keep in mind that the orion 25mm is plastic and the polish 26.5mm is metal -

Flare Insert

Though you would think common sense would prevail, this insert issue comes up every so often here and this is a great link that should be referred to each time it does.
A gun is a gun is a gun. If that's what someone wants or feels they need then they should get a proper one that is designed to be a gun from the start. Stop trying to "Get around" the issue by pretending these inserts are anything but a gun and the authorities you may encounter, no matter where find yourself, are too stupid to figure it out..
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:23   #21

Pardon me for even asking.

What I would really prefer is to live where armed scum are not abundant as they apparently are here in the USA. I'm a simple yottie, new to living and sailing this side of the pond, not a would be Wyatt Earp, never owned a gun nor wish to. Maybe we should just move back to the First World.
Old 24-11-2013, 11:25   #22

For your information as a kid I did some similar testing ha ha by taping a 12g shell to the end of my BB gun!!yeh I know, but the result were that the primer POPS then the charge is propelled forward then BANG! the shot blows out radiating to the side and forward with little are no force I think at 10yrds the BB would hurt worse! oh yea little or no recoil
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 17:56   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
For your information as a kid I did some similar testing ha ha by taping a 12g shell to the end of my BB gun!!yeh I know, but the result were that the primer POPS then the charge is propelled forward then BANG! the shot blows out radiating to the side and forward with little are no force I think at 10yrds the BB would hurt worse! oh yea little or no recoil
Very different situation from firing a shotgun shell in a barrel insert. Taped to the end of a BB gun the power can dissipate easily. Restricted in a flare pistol is a whole different story.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 18:39   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
looking at the specs it seems the 25mm shells are brighter than 12 gauge but the 12 gauge versions go higher at up to 500ft compared to 375ft. so which is best overall?

Related question - if we get a 25mm pistol with an adapter to fire 12 gauge shells would that also then fire 12 gauge shotgun cartridges for use as a protective firearm if ever needed?

I'm trying to optimize our inventory of on board rescue signals to bring our new to us boat up to required USCG equipment levels, whilst if possible retaining some flexibility for use when out exploring or fishing in the RIB we use as a tender if we also had a bear or even an intruder scarer then it would be an extra bonus.

OH - I have so done this!

Much research on our part and we bought a Polish surplus military flair launcher. The "German" launcher is also a great alternative but harder to find. You will pay as little as 50 dollars but more likely up to 100. Any more than that & keep looking. You might get really lucky and find one with a pouch/holster. There is no registration and no paperwork. It can be legally shipped in the US. The USCG does not consider it a firearm.

They are very well made on a par with a good rifle. Shotgun shells are 2-3/4; 3" and 3-1/2". The 12 ga adapter is 2-1/2" and so does not permit chambering of gun shells. This is good or it is re-classified as "other" by BATF and requires registration as a handgun and will be a pain to manage in many places even with the papers. I was also told by the various sellers that you would not want to be holding it while it discharged a 12 ga gun round.

There are other inserts available that permit firing 30-06, 22-long, 410 shotgun. As noted above, this creates other problems you may choose to deal with.

There are foreign countries that consider a flair launcher a fire arm (England for one). They require all hand held single use expensive launchers.

Below is exacly the model I have. There are antiques on the market and some in bronze. This will never blow out or otherwise fail like the plastic Orions.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 19:44   #25

I think I will buy a clown's gun that pops a flag out when fired. It can have one orange flag with a black square and circle that says 'HELP!' another one that says 'BANG you bum, YOU"RE DEAD!"
Old 24-11-2013, 20:25   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

In this instance, bigger is better.
Old 25-11-2013, 04:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In this instance, bigger is better.
OK SO mY clown's pop gun should have a big flagthat pops out !
Old 26-11-2013, 21:53   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Instead of a shotgun shell; just use the flare. That way you can light up your subject.
Old 29-11-2013, 13:36   #29

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Now I've got a song going through my head:
"...And you
Light up my life.
You give me hope
To carry on.

You light up my days
And fill my nights
With song.

Rolling at sea,
Adrift on the waters.
Could it be finally
I'm turning for home?

Read more: Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life Lyrics | MetroLyrics "
Old 29-11-2013, 13:46   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
OK flare gun and a plastic ketchup full of gasoline, squirt the gasoline, then shoot the flare
It's a bad joke guys, don't get upset
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote