Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 09:49   #1

What are some must-see places and stops between Lucie Inlet, FL & Cumberland Sound GA

We've made our decision to run from Deerfield Beach up the east coast of Florida - the furthest we will go is the GA border @ Cumberland Sound (looks like some amazing anchorages there!).

We will not stop between Deerfield Beach and Lucie since we've done that run countless times. We are planning to stop at Canaveral... and we have a few other ideas. But... as always... you guys have helped create some pretty amazing trips for my small family! With the options of running outside (weather permitting) and the ICW... it seems that, as usual, there will be more things to do than time (and that's fine!)

We figure on 20-ish days.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:53   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: What are some must-see places and stops between Lucie Inlet, FL & Cumberland Soun

Canaveral is a pretty boring stop, as there is nothing there but a couple of marinas and a boatyard. I'd say stop at St. Augustine and then again at Fernandina Beach before going up the creek to Cumberland Island.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:45   #3

Re: What are some must-see places and stops between Lucie Inlet, FL & Cumberland Soun

Kid wants to stop at Kennedy Space Center, etc... so...

Onward to other stops?
Old 07-07-2021, 05:28   #4

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Are you doing this run on the inside or the outside? If outside, then stop at Canaveral. If inside, then stop at Titusville. You can get an uber to KSC from either location (I would think). I anchored in the ICW just south of Titusville last March on my way to the Bahamas. Coincidentally, they launched a resupply rocket up to the ISS that night. We were close enough to it that we could smell the fuel burn. Super cool!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Are you doing this run on the inside or the outside? If outside, then stop at Canaveral. If inside, then stop at Titusville. You can get an uber to KSC from either location (I would think). I anchored in the ICW just south of Titusville last March on my way to the Bahamas. Coincidentally, they launched a resupply rocket up to the ISS that night. We were close enough to it that we could smell the fuel burn. Super cool!

The plan is to run the outside (weather permitting) -- but have stops along the way for both an ICW run or an outside run.

I usually make lists of all the different "cool places" -- knowing we won't be able to hit them all, but then we hit the ones that are near where we stop (or plan to stop).

I'm in the list-making stages now...
Old 08-07-2021, 06:54   #6

Hi there
I was checking this out to see what places you did stop and what you recommend.
I'm in the process of buying my 1st boat, will have it in Fort Pierce and want to sail it soon up to Jacksonville, so looking forward to cool places on that area
migua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:28   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

Go a little further north and in at St. Catherine's Inlet, turn to port and down the creek to anchor out behind St. Catherine's Island. Super peaceful and quiet.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote