Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 13:42   #46

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: St Lucia murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
.... In some anchorages I don't see the possibility of pre-intrusion alarms as the boats do not lie quietly. ....
Implemented properly the motion of the boat will not affect it. Many are not done well, so you have the issue of false alarms, which leads people to not using the alarm system at all.
Old 20-01-2014, 14:05   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Ive never considered cruising with a REAL dog, how difficult is it regarding checking in & out of different Countries?
Old 20-01-2014, 14:08   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Pressure pad alarms are better than motion detectors for a boat. And why use a dog alarm? Cut out the middle man and get a real dog. Most criminals case a crime during the day first, they don't usually just blindly row out into an anchorage and board the first vessel they see. If you have a large dog visible on deck all day, the odds of you being chosen as the easy mark are reduced. Plus dogs are awesome!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 20-01-2014, 14:10   #49

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

My sincere condolences to the friends and family of Mr. Pratt. In reading a bit on the topic it looks like there is a lot of political upheaval in the works. If I were in the vicinity I would choose to sail to safer waters. Hopefully the powers that be will focus on these issues and make St Lucia a viable destination in the future.

I found this post by an opposing political party:

http://www.stlucianewsonline.com/lpm...urists-murder/

"LPM says it blames government for British tourist’s murder

The brutal murder of Robert Pratt, a British sailor who was allegedly denied clearance to leave Saint Lucia last Thursday, should not come as a surprise to anyone, according to the Lucian People’s Movement (LPM) political party.
“Moreover, if it is proven that Pratt and his wife were denied clearance to leave because of our nation’s overbearing bureaucratic system and that the delay in processing their request to return to their homeland might have opened them up to the prying eyes of criminal elements, then our government no doubt has a lot to answer to the United Kingdom and the rest of the international community,” the LPM said in a press statement.

In Pratt’s online travel journal, he wrote about the difficulties encountered, a day before his death: “On Thursday morning the plan was to clear out from Soufriere, then to travel south and use up the 72 hours before we had to be away. But bureaucracy intervened. HM Customs and Excise (sic) in Soufriere told us that exit had to happen within 24 hours of clearing out; and that anyway, we couldn’t clear out of Soufriere that day because the Immigration Officer hadn’t come to work (!!).”
Based on that information from Pratt’s blog, the LPM insists that for “For many years now, Saint Lucian governments—and, in particular, those led by Prime Minister Dr. Kenny Anthony from 1996 to 2006 and 2011 to the present—haven’t done much to create an environment of ease whereby locals and visitors alike are able to conduct government-related business in a speedy and timely manner. This, the LPM says, must be reviewed in order to trim the unnecessary bureaucracy and create confidence in the ability of the government of Saint Lucia to operate within a modern and acceptable system that meets most international standards.”

Also, in assessing the government’s handling of the situation following Pratt’s murder, the LPM states that it is appalled by the denial and continued attempts to paint an inaccurate picture of how ruthless the criminal elements on the island have become.
In doing so, the party points to a statement issued by Tourism Minister Lorne Theophilus, affirming that “Saint Lucia remains relatively safe for nationals and visitors alike.” However, the LPM disagrees and instead suggests to Theophilus “that our nation would be better served if his government would take a more critical look at what is happening in the country instead of focusing on a narrow public relations stunt that simply seeks to mask or deny the ruthless nature of crime in Saint Lucia”.
According to the LPM ” a simple review of the national statistics indicates that we have lost over 300 citizens (mostly young people) to homicide in the last eight years. Therefore, while the government and its misguided group of supporters continue to ridicule attempts to highlight the serious nature of the problem, Saint Lucia can never effectively move to manage its crime problem unless there is an acknowledgement on the part of the government that this situation is grievous”.
The LPM “suggests that the effective management of crime does not entail a willful attempt to mislead the Saint Lucian citizens into believing that they risk tarnishing the image of our country should they speak forcefully against the savagery of criminal activities on the island. Rather, true patriotism mandates that we all place our country above all else, including the selfish and self-serving attempts to keep our party in power”.

The LPM maintains that combating crime requires a “progressive government that is willing to forsake all political theatrics and instead focus on uniting our nation in order to provide effective security throughout the length and breadth of Saint Lucia. It certainly does not involve having a complacent or passive attitude to crime, or the kind of deafening silence that seems to emanate from within the halls of the government of Saint Lucia following numerous incidents in which locals are gunned down or butchered to death”.

The LPM says that such “official behaviour only serves to embolden criminals by sending the wrong signal that the government of Saint Lucia is unable to carry out its responsibility of ensuring that it maintains a safe and stable society”.
“Therefore, unless there is open acknowledgement of the problem, we can expect to have other unfortunate incidents such as those involving Robert Pratt, and Colin Peter (a Canadian citizen who was murdered while vacationing in Saint Lucia in November of 2012), among others,” the political party concluded.

Police said three persons are currently in custody assisting with investigations surrounding Pratt’s death.
In a press release received by our newsroom late Saturday, the police disclosed details about the incident in which 62-year-old Roger Pratt was killed and his wife, Margaret Pratt, was injured.

According to the police, “About midnight on Friday, January 17, 2014, officers attached to the Vieux Fort Police Station responded to a report of robbery on a vessel named “Magnetic Attraction” which was berthed at the Seaport in Vieux Fort.
“On arrival, the officers received information that three armed men had boarded the vessel, attacked and injured the occupants before they fled. At the time of the incident, the vessel was occupied by 60-year-old Margaret Pratt and her 62-year-old husband, Roger Pratt.

“Within minutes of the robbers fleeing, Margaret went in search of her husband and found him floating in the nearby waters. Roger was retrieved and transported to St. Jude Hospital via ambulance along with his wife. He was pronounced dead on arrival while Margaret was treated and discharged.

“A post mortem examination has been scheduled for Monday, January 20, 2014.”
Old 20-01-2014, 16:28   #50

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I somehow feel a separate thread to deal with these things might be more appropriate rather than on a Thread started to break the news and offer condolences..
This is not I feel the place to squabble over comments/points stated/scored in a separate Thread..
Its a shame these threads degenerate into this..
Thanks and well said. Too bad someone didn't take the hint.
Old 20-01-2014, 16:33   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Gentlemen, I have just deleted several posts that were unnecessary to say the least. Some that responded to these have had to be deleted as well unfortunately. Personal bickering has no place in threads like this. Thank you to those that reported this and let's keep it civil and respectful please.

Coops.
Old 20-01-2014, 16:47   #52
cruiser

Terrible news. Nice couple who seemed to be enjoying a great time.

'Looks like another location to add to our avoid list. We'll skip cruising the Caribbean on our boat and head to the South Pacific when the time comes. Continue to see the Caribbean via a cruise ship.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:01   #53

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Terrible news. Nice couple who seemed to be enjoying a great time.

'Looks like another location to add to our avoid list. We'll skip cruising the Caribbean on our boat and head to the South Pacific when the time comes. Continue to see the Caribbean via a cruise ship.
Well, consider Caribbean is my back yard; I doubt I will ever write it off.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:21   #54
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

What can I say? People don't avoid the USA because of the streets in LA?

There's plenty of good people here, the bad apples have been mentioned by me and others for the past 10 years right here on this forum and St. Lucia has always been on that list.

You don't need to avoid the Caribbean, just don't try to prove the "resident" cruisers wrong when they warn against these places.

Nothing makes me sadder than to hear these stories of violence and murder, but it's obvious that "we" are utterly ineffective with warning against these areas; the next wave has already announced to go there anyway right in this thread. It will never stop.

RIP Roger.
Old 21-01-2014, 05:53   #55
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

A tour inland around St. Lucia,is illuminating it's what I don't like , a third world country , with a first world tourist economy imposed on it. Poverty breeds resentment. I like to boat where the locals are richer then me !.

I rember touring Barbados a few years ago , millionaire palaces right next to a shanty house on blocks with chickens running around , funnily the palace was covered in burglar bars. It's not good social policy to develop nations like this.

Dave
Old 21-01-2014, 06:29   #56

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
... the bad apples have been mentioned by me and others for the past 10 years right here on this forum and St. Lucia has always been on that list.
Is there a thread here with this list? I read this forum randomly and haven't come across it.

My family and I just spend a month in the tourist bubble of St Lucia. We felt very safe, but of course one can live in blissful ignorance right up to the moment of being murdered.
Old 21-01-2014, 06:42   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: St Lucia murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Poverty breeds resentment. I like to boat where the locals are richer then me !. Dave
The World is my Oyster...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-01-2014, 07:37   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
<SNIP>, a third world country , with a first world tourist economy imposed on it. Poverty breeds resentment. I like to boat where the locals are richer then me !.

<SNIP>

Dave
O/T BUT Perhaps you can explain why the Cuban people are so friendly and the country is almost crime free if you ignore the fact that the best way for a Cuban woman to earn good money on Cuba is prostitution That surely is down to the tourists MEN taking advantage of less well off women
Old 21-01-2014, 07:44   #59

Boat: Skookum 53'

My condolences to the family.
Old 21-01-2014, 08:47   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

I find it sad and disappointment that this has turned into anything about this tragic event other to say you are sorry it happened.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, St Lucia