Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2014, 18:58   #1

Refueling in Saint Helena

Anybody familiar with refueling in Saint Helena?

Thanks
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 04:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Refueling in Saint Helena

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Otter.

See ➥ http://books.google.ca/books?id=W1mV...20dock&f=false

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 04:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Anybody familiar with refueling in Saint Helena?

Thanks
We did it some years ago . . . They bring jerry jugs of diesel out to your boat.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 04:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From Noonsite (Jan. 2013):

“... Fuel: St Helena gets all of its fuel requirement once every 3 months from Norway! The diesel is of excellent quality and it can be delivered directly to your yacht by the same people that run the ferry service. The process is pretty basic but it works. Have plenty of rags available! The way it works is that they will fill your tank from a full 250 litre drum and then decant the rest into 50 litre drums and estimate the total amount. Close enough! The cost of the fuel delivered was Pound Sterling 1.25/liter in 2013 (cash only).

The bad news is that nothing is guaranteed as the storage tanks are on the small side and with the construction of the airport underway the demand is higher than usual. Just before the arrival of the tanker, supply could be limited and you really want full tanks for your next leg! If possible, send an e-mail with your requirements and fix a time for delivery immediately after your arrival and checking in ...”

Cruising Updates for St Helena — Noonsite

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 12:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Fuel in St Helena is hellishly expensive! If you can, carry enough fuel with when departing SA or Namibia, so that you do not have to buy there. However, if you really do need fuel, just get the ferry driver to organise it for you. Unless you are ordering in very large quantities, you will need to supply your own jugs. Same with water, you need to have your own jugs, which you fill up from the tap at the landing steps. It is far cheeper to buy 25 or 30 litre jugs in Cape Town (about Rand 20 each from B&G Drums 021-933-5588) and fill them at the fuel dock at RCYC or the fuel dock in front of the harbour tower, next to the entrance to the V&A.

Note that there are no ATM's on the island so take sufficient UK Pounds with you. The ferry is also very expensive, so limit your trips ashore if you do not want to use your tender. If you are still in Cape Town, you can email / PM me and I will give you all the buff you need to know for the island. Also, if you want to then go to Ascension, you need to apply for permission at St Helena well before departing.

John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 05:37   #6

The first question I would ask is, do you mean St. Helena, the island out in the middle of the Atlantic? Or do you mean St. Helena, California? Or maybe St. Helena Island, South Carolina?

This is an international forum. There are a number of St. Helenas around the world. While I suspect that the other responders are correct in their assumption that you are talking about the island out there in the Atlantic, between Angola and Brazil, I can't be certain. When we talk about places on a forum like this one, it is best to be specific.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 06:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The first question I would ask is, do you mean St. Helena, the island out in the middle of the Atlantic? Or do you mean St. Helena, California? Or maybe St. Helena Island, South Carolina?

This is an international forum. There are a number of St. Helenas around the world. While I suspect that the other responders are correct in their assumption that you are talking about the island out there in the Atlantic, between Angola and Brazil, I can't be certain. When we talk about places on a forum like this one, it is best to be specific.

Mmmmmm, what is the title of the sub-forum? Does it not read "Atlantic and Caribbean"? As I do not know of a St Helena in the Caribbean, I presume it to be the only other St Helena - the one in the South Atlantic.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:46   #8

Your are correct John, I meant the Island in the middle of South Atlantic.
Thanks all for the informations.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel