Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2014, 10:22   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Outside route from Hilton Head to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Sorry, I've been away from this discussion....
Skip, you are 100% correct...
And, on my charts (US NOAA and DMA charts), the authorized minimum depth of each haven is listed on the chart....and is typically only 1 - 2 fathoms above the sea bed in that area...although artificial reefs constructed from scraped ships can be higher...

But...

But, there is a minor reason to avoid some of these areas....and that is, during nice weather many of these havens attack pleasure-boat fisherman who are more concerned with their fishfinders and rod/reels/bait, etc. than they are in keeping watch for other boats....
So, while the "depth" is of little concern sometimes other boats on/near these fish havens might give reason to avoid...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Thanks John. I was aware of the "auth min" depths on the charts but was always a bit paranoid that there might be nets or something else floating around in the havens. AND, I was right! Fishing boats might be there.

I have certainly seen fishing boats anchored at night without lights a few times and I can confirm from personal experience that some of the fishermen don't pay much attention.

Several years ago I was diving on a wreck in an artificial reef site off Daytona. There were several other boats around so I made sure I had my dive flag flying high and when I was down tried to stay more or less under my boat. Suddenly heard a load clang and looked over to see an anchor on the deck of the wreck about 2' from my head. If I hadn't been so shocked I would have cut the line and carried the anchor up to find the owner. However, the other team in my boat on the surface had been watching and started yelling when they saw this guy dumping an anchor over the side and he jerked it back up immediately. Of course if it had landed on my head it would have been a bit too late.

Lesson, never assume someone after fish is paying attention to anything other than fishing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 15:10   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've had one or two anchors dropped when I was diving "wrecks" off of Panama City. What I do is ensure the anchor is well set into the sunken boat. I believe losing an anchor teaches them better than me complaining.
At least in that area the divers and the fishermen do not get along, the fishermen hate that they are supposed to stay away from a dive flag and I have had them troll right over top of me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 14:06   #18

so did you end up making the trip? how was it?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NYCSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, head, route