Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 14:33   #226

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Should have written that differently..He was called many things, a terrorist(by some),a genital mutilating homeless crazy man,A mercenary(yea that's a good one,more like gun totting Eunuch,what was he going to do protect the Harem? Or sing Castrato for the boys on the front lines of the FSA?) To some a terrorist to others an embarrassment..From the sound of things you have missed a lot more than 60 minutes...
Well it just goes to show how the news can change depending upon your provider... I can't remember him being talked about here in the UK.. apart from being a friend of Kenji Goto..

I too read through these forums to learn as much as I can as prep for my own travels... knowledge is king
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:59   #227
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Well it just goes to show how the news can change depending upon your provider... I can't remember him being talked about here in the UK.. apart from being a friend of Kenji Goto..

I too read through these forums to learn as much as I can as prep for my own travels... knowledge is king
Asahi Shinbun
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 11:54   #228

Boat: Cape Dory

Wow - I just found this thread and having just returned from Buenos Aires (an absolutely awesome, vibrant city that looked to this first timer to very much to be on the rise) I would love to hear all about routes south from NA to SA. Jimmy C doesn't have much to say (his formal routes stop in Rio and he has only a couple anecdotal comments about coastal currents and the Falklands). So any and all discussion of Routes south to Rio de La Plata and Southern Argentina and other cruising info would be appreciated -- even if it is only a dream at this point.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 13:30   #229

I agree about Buenos Aires. It certainly is a wonderful City and the country has tremendous economic potential. I too would love to find out more about the sailing strategies for sailing down and up the East coast of South America. By the way whole I have had my own safety issues in Argentina I must say it is probably the safest destination in South America. You just need to not flaunt your money and be aware if their maritime riles and regs.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 20:26   #230

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Wow - I just found this thread and having just returned from Buenos Aires (an absolutely awesome, vibrant city that looked to this first timer to very much to be on the rise) I would love to hear all about routes south from NA to SA. Jimmy C doesn't have much to say (his formal routes stop in Rio and he has only a couple anecdotal comments about coastal currents and the Falklands). So any and all discussion of Routes south to Rio de La Plata and Southern Argentina and other cruising info would be appreciated -- even if it is only a dream at this point.
BA to Rio and back is not the problem if you can each way at the right time of the year for favorable wind or play the fronts if you do it at the wrong time. Just do not rely on the EPIRB!

The problem is the southbound trip from Florixa or the Caribbean to Salvador. I have done it twice northbound and would not think about going against that wind and current. The combination of wind and current makes most people choose the longer Azores-Canaries-Cape Verdes route that will give you favorable winds.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 21:08   #231

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
BA to Rio and back is not the problem if you can each way at the right time of the year for favorable wind or play the fronts if you do it at the wrong time. Just do not rely on the EPIRB!

The problem is the southbound trip from Florixa or the Caribbean to Salvador. I have done it twice northbound and would not think about going against that wind and current. The combination of wind and current makes most people choose the longer Azores-Canaries-Cape Verdes route that will give you favorable winds.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Yeah, that was my takeaway from reading Cornell -- that it was easier to reach the southern portions of SA by cutting across the Atlantic -- either from South Africa or the Canaries than heading south from NA / Caribbean. What a shame (er what a challenge P-) ). Thanks!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 23:24   #232

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I haven't been north of Piriapolis on that side in small boats... however I do know that intense lows can form offshore just north of the Uruguay/Brazil border at very short notice. I know of two Argentino yachts lost with all hands in that area in the last 5 years.
The River Plate can also serve up some very severe weather... I remember it mainly for very bad lightning events in the Delta.

South of the Plate? I've been up twice, down twice.
First northbound was from Punta Arenas via the Narrows in May. ( DO NOT try and enter from the east and get up to Punta Arenas via the Narrows.. it will end in tears!)
A pleasant sail with westerlies until about 36 hours where we were hammered by a very short lived NW gale. The only time I have ever had heavy water in the cockpit...also lost solar panels and pretty much everything else down the back... we were hove to at the time.
Mar del Plata... nice spot but a nasty entrance if there is any swell from N through to SE.
Daylight entry suggested.
Next voyage was from BA down to the Puerto Deseado area and back in April the following year. It was late in the season but we had been mucked around no end while trying to overhaul in BA. A good run except for a major thunder and lightning event offshore from Bahia Blanca.... something must happen to the air as it comes over the Andes I reckon.
Ended up hove to offshore from Deseado for a few days with SW'lys and sleet.... forecast offered more of the same but windier south of there for the next week so we turned tail and ran back to MdP.. the 14 day voyage to nowhere.
November that year sailed down from Uruguay to the Falklands, dream run in light westerlies apart from the last 12 hours which was windy... nothing more.
Following November .. Falklands via Le Maire to Pto Williams ... motored most of the way in a glassy calm, 12 hours sailing, 24 hours motor sailing.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 14-11-2015, 10:59   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I haven't been north of Piriapolis on that side in small boats... however I do know that intense lows can form offshore just north of the Uruguay/Brazil border at very short notice. I know of two Argentino yachts lost with all hands in that area in the last 5 years.
The River Plate can also serve up some very severe weather... I remember it mainly for very bad lightning events in the Delta.

South of the Plate? I've been up twice, down twice.
First northbound was from Punta Arenas via the Narrows in May. ( DO NOT try and enter from the east and get up to Punta Arenas via the Narrows.. it will end in tears!)
A pleasant sail with westerlies until about 36 hours where we were hammered by a very short lived NW gale. The only time I have ever had heavy water in the cockpit...also lost solar panels and pretty much everything else down the back... we were hove to at the time.
Mar del Plata... nice spot but a nasty entrance if there is any swell from N through to SE.
Daylight entry suggested.
Next voyage was from BA down to the Puerto Deseado area and back in April the following year. It was late in the season but we had been mucked around no end while trying to overhaul in BA. A good run except for a major thunder and lightning event offshore from Bahia Blanca.... something must happen to the air as it comes over the Andes I reckon.
Ended up hove to offshore from Deseado for a few days with SW'lys and sleet.... forecast offered more of the same but windier south of there for the next week so we turned tail and ran back to MdP.. the 14 day voyage to nowhere.
November that year sailed down from Uruguay to the Falklands, dream run in light westerlies apart from the last 12 hours which was windy... nothing more.
Following November .. Falklands via Le Maire to Pto Williams ... motored most of the way in a glassy calm, 12 hours sailing, 24 hours motor sailing.

Your mileage may vary.
I know your post was a few months ago however I'd be interested to find out how was your experience with port officials. As rules seem to change regularly in this part of the world it would be helpful to learn if your first hand experience.

Thanks,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 13:00   #234

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Uruguay.... no fuss at all... very laid back... both Piriapolis and Colonia.

Falklands.... straighforward.

Chile.... efficient, correct and consistent, a pleasure to deal with.

Argentina.... ? I wake screaming in the night at the memory.... cleared in maybe 4 times after trips to Uruguay to reset the clock.

Ushuaia is the only place I have every seen a naval ( ok coastguard) officer pocket cash that should have gone through the books.... an overtime payment.. I guess he was just cutting out the middleman.
Mar del Plata... 4 days to enter in.... coastguard.... health office... to bank in town to pay health fee...back to health office..closed for day. Next day health office, coastguard ( new officers on duty...furniture all rearranged) , aduana...closed for lunch....aduana...back to coastguard.... sent to immigration... can't find it. Next day holiday. Fourth day enlist help of coastguard to find immigration...they cant find it either ... eventually find unmarked office with blinds drawn.. knock on door... man furtively peers from behind curtains..unlocks door.

BA? Take a packed lunch.... in BA itself it is a very long walk between customs, immigration, and coastguard. Tigre ? Immigration is simple, Coastguard is in a very dodgy part of S Fernando , the customs/aduana there were the people from hell...

And yes.... they change the rules as they feel like it.

Tags
Brazil, sail