Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 03:02   #76
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Given the legal difficulty of having flare guns in many countries and the difficulty in getting flare cartridges, since most are using the modern integrated flare.

Personally , I think using a flare as a weapon is laughable , you have to find it , load out, arm it, then think of the consequences of a lit rocket flying around the cabin

really guys,

dave
Old 02-03-2015, 03:30   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Funny enough I keep one loaded along with a small axe near the hatch when anchored in certain areas.. need new shells though.. pick some up in Marathon come May I reckon...
As to using a flare indoors.. possible I guess.. there's some folk dumb enough to think of doing that...
If they've gotten below you've two choice's... hand to hand or...
Milk and 2 sugars in your coffee Sir..??
Loved the pencil flares one could buy back in the '90's.. the size of a large pen and inconspicuous enough to nestle in your palm.. scared the $hit out of a couple of Spanish twats with them.. they were having fun chucking rocks at boats in the boatyard at Agua Dulce.. then they got to mine.. never seen folk move so fast...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:12   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
perhaps you might consider either sailing somewhere a little safer, or perhaps a career change

Most countries would jail you , if you actually acted like that and " blew" away someone simply for standing in your boat. You response must be proportional to the perceived threat.

dave
At least in Uruguay, you need 3 criteria for self defense (this is not legal advise)
  • Not having provoked the confrontation
  • Having exhausted other reasonable means of solving the threat (such as running away, closing the door, etc)
  • The threat to your life being present and credible (can't shoot in the back or an unarmed person)
There are quite a few people in jail for shooting a thief w/o meeting the three criteria. In some countries, just shooting somebody because is on your boat will put a very sad end to your sailing.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:24   #79

Here you go!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2015, 11:28   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
What talent...just get him to go cruising with ya and no worry's..He could pop a few Skinnys in the blink of an eye and send the others running..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 13:58   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
What talent...just get him to go cruising with ya and no worry's..He could pop a few Skinnys in the blink of an eye and send the others running..
I'm going to buy me a bow. I mean, really, how long could it take to get skills like these?
Old 05-03-2015, 15:46   #82
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I'm going to buy me a bow. I mean, really, how long could it take to get skills like these?
I thought the same (short bow )..I built a long bow when I was younger and became pretty good at it...I even stuck an arrow into the end of another after declaring my intent a few times.This guy thou is amazing with his dexterity and accuracy...Old Legoles would have to employ some elvish magic to keep up with this guy...
Old 06-03-2015, 05:57   #83

Quote:
I thought the same (short bow )..I built a long bow when I was younger and became pretty good at it...I even stuck an arrow into the end of another after declaring my intent a few times.This guy thou is amazing with his dexterity and accuracy...Old Legoles would have to employ some elvish magic to keep up with this guy...
I was into archer in high school and college. I had two recurves and one compound bow, and I even did some bow hunting.

It is fun, if nothing else, and I amazed myself at how accurate I was eventually able to get (regullarly hitting one foot bulls eyes with my compound bow at 75 yards).

But, I wasn't anywhere near this guy. And, it made look at the shooting by Legoles in the LOTR in a whole new light.

Unstrung, a recurve bow looks pretty innocuous, and arrows are no worse looking than pole spears. I would not be surprised that if you declared it, most customs agents, not only wouldn't know what it was, they wouldn't care. And, it seems to me it would be hard to get in trouble for later possessing something that was on your customs declaration form.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:08   #84

without going to trouble of making one are there crossbows which can be taken apart when stored?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:12   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
without going to trouble of making one are there crossbows which can be taken apart when stored?
Yes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:42   #86

You can also have arrows with mini explosive charges. Just a thought of you in Pirate country.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:23   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
You can also have arrows with mini explosive charges. Just a thought of you in Pirate country.
Naw, my plan in pirate country is to get on my knees and beg, and offer up my wife in exchange for not hurting me, or taking my stuff.

Not the most noble plan, but always ready and available!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:30   #88

Quote:
Naw, my plan in pirate country is to get on my knees and beg, and offer up my wife in exchange for not hurting me, or taking my stuff.

Not the most noble plan, but always ready and available!
So funny. Thanks for making me laugh. The Vikings would have loved you. So would today's modern day pillages and plunderers.

Seriously though with recent events in Libya with the ISIS savages taking over that whole region of the med could go to hell very quickly. So not only is the Atlantic African and South American coast an issue but coming up quickly could be parts of the Med.

No knee bending for me.
Old 08-03-2015, 17:51   #89
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
So funny. Thanks for making me laugh. The Vikings would have loved you. So would today's modern day pillages and plunderers.

Seriously though with recent events in Libya with the ISIS savages taking over that whole region of the med could go to hell very quickly. So not only is the Atlantic African and South American coast an issue but coming up quickly could be parts of the Med.

No knee bending for me.
South American (leftest Govs.) going to hell very quick ..Venezuela will be / is a failed state.. 68% unemployment .Bolivar has tanked slid 35% in two weeks,black market trade at 1/40th of cost to import food..Anyone going to this place for fun and adventure would surely find it..
Old 08-03-2015, 19:35   #90

Quote:
South American (leftest Govs.) going to hell very quick ..Venezuela will be / is a failed state.. 68% unemployment .Bolivar has tanked slid 35% in two weeks,black market trade at 1/40th of cost to import food..Anyone going to this place for fun and adventure would surely find it..
I hear you can make a killing if you smuggle in toilet paper and toothpaste. You are absolutely correct about Venezuela. Very dangerous now. And the biggest danger is from the corrupt Navy.

Tags
Brazil, sail