Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 02:38   #196

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Ah... the faded glory of Buenos Aires....

Its truly sad... it really is....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030340.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	98932  
Old 16-03-2015, 02:40   #197

and out the back...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	98933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	98934  

Old 16-03-2015, 03:49   #198
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

This thread should be closed. It's merely a political diatribe from all sides

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-03-2015, 03:58   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

No its not...
Its a discussion involving sailing in south america... don't like it, don't read it ... muy facil

Meanwhile..in Venezuala
Maduro asks the Assembly for expanded powers to fight 'imperialism' — MercoPress

I see that even the yacht services company in Las Roques ( sp) is advising people not to call ( according to Noonsite)

I went over to Colonia once... came back to Tigre area a week later... the Aduana had changed the rules... just like that.. by decree... no longer 8 months... reduced to 4 months.
And don't even think of overhauling your yacht in BA...
Old 16-03-2015, 05:43   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
No its not...
Its a discussion involving sailing in south america... don't like it, don't read it ... muy facil
On of the good things about this board is that is well moderated. I think we are going way off topic with political rants that are only sustained by rumor.

BTW, here is a pic of the "slummy" marina in downtown Buenos Aires, on a recovered old harbor. The only bad thing is the brown water (BA faces a river).

The rules of bringing boats (for a foreigner) in Argentina are not tougher than the ones in the US, where you need to notify days ahead of your plans or the EU, where they slap you a VAT if stay too long.

In Brazil and Uruguay, foreigners can leave the boat up to two years, but Argentina has a money-laundering problem. Many rich Argentinians bought foreign boats (as Delaware LLCs) to avoid reporting income and paying taxes, and now they are cracking down on that by forcing them to leave and reenter in shorter periods, to force their importation.

dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 06:15   #201
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
No, it has nothing to do with that. What you're describing are the symptoms not the causes of the disease. The major cause is the total degeneration of education in the past 50-60 years and the related loss of thinking abilities among the general public. To the point where very few saw the irony or the doublethink of the first ever divorced US president being touted for his family values stands. Not to mention the first US president not serving in the armed forces being touted as almost a hero-veteran. And all other such discrepancies. And it went downhill from there.
And who the hell dya think controls the strings of education.. decides on its quality and direction.. I cannot speak for the States.. but in the UK the evidence of 'Dumbing Down' was obvious to me back in the 70's when my son started school..
I know that money dominates education when the intellectually inferior can get scholarships based on their ability to throw a ball and gain maga bucks for the Uni.. while a more deserving case is left to fall by the wayside.. just coz he can't afford the fee's..
As for the 'Draft Dodger'.. nuff sed...
The dumber the population.. the easier to manipulate.. they learnt their lesson in the 60's.. and the dumber the President the better.

Likely thats why they hate Obama.. not happy about a 'Dumb African American' being smarter than his "Betters.?"

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 06:29   #202
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave.. in its own way these kind of threads can be very informative to cruisers.. it brings the locals who live the reality out of the wood work to disprove the hysteria that the ignorant and prejudiced promote..
An example is the prejudice against SMX French side thats spouted by the Americans on Dutch side..
I remember back in 2000 when the morning 'Net' was operated by an American preacher.. bigoted git.. one would think it was a hell hole to hear him.. sticking one's toe over the border was a certain mugging and possibily ones death.. and it still goes on today.. sad..
No.. as long as it stays civil 'Bring it on..'

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-03-2015, 06:38   #203
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dave.. in its own way these kind of threads can be very informative to cruisers.. it brings the locals who live the reality out of the wood work to disprove the hysteria that the ignorant and prejudiced promote..
An example is the prejudice against SMX French side thats spouted by the Americans on Dutch side..
I remember back in 2000 when the morning 'Net' was operated by an American preacher.. bigoted git.. one would think it was a hell hole to hear him.. sticking one's toe over the border was a certain mugging and possibily ones death.. and it still goes on today.. sad..
No.. as long as it stays civil 'Bring it on..'
Thats right bring it on! The ones that like to close such discussions are the ones that have nothing to ad ..Like the other guy said ,dont like ,dont read move on to something you are interested in and leave this to the ones that are interested in this..Geez Louise...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 06:57   #204
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Thats right bring it on! The ones that like to close such discussions are the ones that have nothing to ad ..Like the other guy said ,dont like ,dont read move on to something you are interested in and leave this to the ones that are interested in this..Geez Louise...
It is extremely easy to criticise "OTHER" , I think we at CF must abandon "the American Bias" looking st things through the American looking glass! By the way I am also Dutch sailor of 60 years old, liveaboard off East Africa since 2007 and living on the hook. Not once did I feel threatened or maybe by authorities who like to show of their power.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 07:03   #205
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
No its not...

Meanwhile..in Venezuala
Maduro asks the Assembly for expanded powers to fight 'imperialism' — MercoPress

I see that even the yacht services company in Las Roques ( sp) is advising people not to call ( according to Noonsite)

I went over to Colonia once... came back to Tigre area a week later... the Aduana had changed the rules... just like that.. by decree... no longer 8 months... reduced to 4 months.
And don't even think of overhauling your yacht in BA...
They are saying Maduro will rule the rest of this year by decree..Obama's executive order has the power of law and effects the followers of Maduro(all 7 of them) says Correa.. ..IMO Maduro will in-act Marshall law before the end of the year and all the croneys that support him such as Correa,Kircner and the like will follow suit or smell the bacon(chorizo) cooking and wake up!! All that is being done to Venezuela is Maduros doing and his popularity is falling like a rock and he knows this business with the USA has the power to send his economy to the very bottom, just hope hes not allowed to drag the country down with him...Do you need an advanced Visa to enter Venezuela by boat?
Old 16-03-2015, 07:21   #206
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
It is extremely easy to criticise "OTHER" , I think we at CF must abandon "the American Bias" looking st things through the American looking glass! By the way I am also Dutch sailor of 60 years old, liveaboard off East Africa since 2007 and living on the hook. Not once did I feel threatened or maybe by authorities who like to show of their power.
I dont agree,I find it difficult to criticize others but when they cross certain lines it gets a little easier....The American bias is put in motion by those that have a Bias of their on as they look thru their looking glass ....It would take a brave(western) man to live on the hook off the coast of east Africa, unless of course they have your sympathies then its one for all and all for one...I personally don't like the way people govern from Eritrea down to Madagascar so I could not live as you have done but good luck...I do realize that the Dutch are fun loving and get along with just about everyone,if only they would as Peter Tosh said "legalize it " everywhere we could all fill the vibration..
Old 16-03-2015, 07:24   #207
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think its time cruisers 'smelt the bacon'..
Don't do your research on Noonsite.. check out your countries policies around the world instead... then just don't go where the policies are negative.
The 'uneducated' and they exist.. even in Uni's and Government see each of us as representives our home country.. regardless of our sympathies.. and will treat us as they deem appropriate to our coutries policies.
We carry the baggage of others where ever we go.. like it or not..

Old 16-03-2015, 07:40   #208
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think its time cruisers 'smelt the bacon'..
Don't do your research on Noonsite.. check out your countries policies around the world instead... then just don't go where the policies are negative.
The 'uneducated' and they exist.. even in Uni's and Government see each of us as representives our home country.. regardless of our sympathies.. and will treat us as they deem appropriate to our coutries policies.
We carry the baggage of others where ever we go.. like it or not..
I agree with your take and a good example of us being reps. of our country's policy is the fella from Japan that was beheaded by DASH..They only talked about Goto because the other Japanese citizen was a terrorist(embarrassment) in his own right and was killed because he was Japanese even though he had professed to be Islamic and was fighting the infidel..Like it or not we will all be forced to take sides and those that think not just try sailing into Venezuela 6 months from now with an American or western flagged boat and see what happens..
Old 16-03-2015, 08:20   #209
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
I agree with your take and a good example of us being reps. of our country's policy is the fella from Japan that was beheaded by DASH..They only talked about Goto because the other Japanese citizen was a terrorist(embarrassment) in his own right and was killed because he was Japanese even though he had professed to be Islamic and was fighting the infidel..Like it or not we will all be forced to take sides and those that think not just try sailing into Venezuela 6 months from now with an American or western flagged boat and see what happens..
All valid points! Or we cruise countries that are allies to our home flag, or we choose a cruising area, wherever on the globe, and buy a yacht there to do extended cruising, keeping the flag of that area. I.e. buy yacht in South Africa and it will under SA flag be well received in all SADC countries, in extension African countries. Even Asia receives SA flag well. Any contact with locals in the cruising area should be very respectful. To respect doesn't on your level of education. In Africa elders are very respected culturally. When anchoring in a coastal zone it is a good idea to ask to talk to the Chief of the area who, no exceptions, will be hospitable.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 10:59   #210

Quote:
...Do you need an advanced Visa to enter Venezuela by boat?
As of last week if you hold a US passport, YES.

As for those who don't sail the waters of South America it is easy to say this thread is of no interest to boaters. If you were sailing in South America I am sure you would be watching every twist and turn taking place. Political and social changes do affect sailors safety when they pull into port, anchor offshore or transit the coastlines. What is of no interest to one person could be life or boat saving advise to another.

Regarding the country south of Brazil, Argentina new rules make it unsafe to change a light bulb on your boat. Foreign flagged boats are not allowed to have any work done on them in Argentinian ports and if they do are subject to seizure. Beware.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brazil, sail