Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 06:00   #31

Re: Cuba for Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFrere View Post
I have been waiting for years to go to Cuba. My grandparents lived there...
I'm not sure about the details, but I know many of the restrictions have been lifted for those who have relatives in Cuba. Might be worth some deep checking to find out if your family background permits you to travel there.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Cuba for Americans ?

Yes, and then maybe they could "adopt" a few of us : ) ...sure would like to visit Cuba again....some of the most wonderful people in the Caribbean.
Old 05-01-2012, 18:41   #33

Now for extra points, boys and girls: Why are americans forbidden to travel freely to Cuba, but free to travel to North Korea, China, Iran, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Sudan or Waziristan?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:59   #34

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Because lifting the travel ban which made sense 50 years ago would be political suicide today. If Obama gets re-elected I wonder if he might do it because his political career is effectively over on election day (lame duck). There would be no worries about ramifications. Did I get the brownie points? BOB
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39   #35

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Because lifting the travel ban which made sense 50 years ago would be political suicide today. If Obama gets re-elected I wonder if he might do it because his political career is effectively over on election day (lame duck). There would be no worries about ramifications. Did I get the brownie points? BOB
At this point in time the President, no matter who he or she is, can't lift the travel ban. They can modify it a bit, but it will take an act of congress to lift the ban and the embargo. We all know how that will go. There are currently 4 bills in congress to do just that and they have broad support. But they must get to the floor for a vote and since the country has so many other problems to be dealt with, and Washington is unable to get anything done right now, these may not get heard for some time to come. Money has become the driving factor today rather than political discontent. Many US interests want to trade with Cuba, especially our agricultural products, and they have backing in congress. So simply having the President say it's over won't make any changes. Our Representatives in Washington will have to get back to work and move other legislation along before this comes up on the top of the list. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54   #36

The policy remains in place becuase of a swing vote in a swing state. I find it amazing that a political group of "non-native" Americans can drive a policy that does not impact themselves. Cuban-Americans can travel to Cuba but, the rest of us "Non-Cuban" Americans cannot. We (Non-Cuban American) are being used as econonomic leverage in their (Cuban-Amarican's) war of revenge against Fidel Castro. This policy has been flawed for 50 years, but unfortunately it is not likely to change anytime soon.

Now I realize this post is purely political, and most likely violates the forum policy. Just couldn't resist...
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
The policy remains in place becuase of a swing vote in a swing state.
BINGO!

There are only two groups that care about the Cuban embargo and travel restrictions. Group one would be us--people who are interested in traveling there (and, frankly, we're a pretty small group). The other group would be all of the Cuban exiles, and most of their progeny, who mostly live in south Florida. No one else cares about this at all. NO ONE!

So, between those two groups that do care, take a guess which one has more political clout?

That's right, the Cuban exiles (who want the embargo to remain in place). They represent a large enough voting block that they can swing close votes in Florida. Florida has enough members in the House of Representatives to swing close votes there. Florida also has enough Electoral College votes to swing a close presidential election. So, the embargo remains.

For this to change, one of two things needs to happen. Either the Cuban exiles in south Florida need to be convinced that opening up the embargo is a better way to bring down the Castro regime (which it is!), or a whole lot more people in other groups need to get interested in seeing the embargo lifted.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:59   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capstan View Post
Now for extra points, boys and girls: Why are americans forbidden to travel freely to Cuba, but free to travel to North Korea, China, Iran, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Sudan or Waziristan?
Thats easy, they might actually like cuba.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Check this out.

High speed ferry service from Marathon, Fl.

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?o...ews&Itemid=107
Old 13-01-2012, 08:38   #40

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

This is either a bit premature or his target passengers are Cuban Americans in Florida that are allowed more frequent travel than the average U.S. citizen. I am sure this is also in anticipation of the rules changing but it won't change anything for the average individual at this time. Many of these ventures pop up in the Keys and don't last very long. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 17-02-2012, 10:23   #41
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Bush's thing says specifically:

" the unauthorized entry of vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States into Cuban territorial waters is in violation of U.S. law and contrary to U.S. policy".

So if I have a boat registered in the Turks and Caicos Islands, I can sail it into Cuba, carrying my own provisions, and not be in violation of any of the rules, legitimately, even though I am a US citizen? The boat's not illegal, as it is not under the jurisdiction of the US, and if we live on our boat and eat our own food, we ain't spending US dollars there.

Which we would have converted to Euros anyhow.

This is all good news. I been wanting to go see Cuba for years.

If I write a blog post about the trip, does that make me a journalist?

Cool.
Old 17-02-2012, 10:32   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

canibul, you're gonna get arrested and thrown away if you keep making assumptions like that.

The quote was "the unauthorized entry of vessels" and that applies to VESSELS not CITiZENS.

If you want to visit Cuba, and you are a US citizen, find out the laws and policies that apply to US Citizens--not US Vessels.
Old 17-02-2012, 13:39   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I think the ban is great, we have the place to ourselves

Dave
Old 18-02-2012, 05:52   #44
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Well, I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about it. We are looking at several boats for sale in the Central American Caribbean coastal areas. It looks kinda like people fetch up downwind there and end up selling boats when it becomes a hassle to try to sail them back to the north east. If we buy a boat there, I will almost certainly have to sail it the entire length of the northern side of Cuba.

A boat registered in the B.W.I. is NOT under the jurisdiction of the US government, so that's okay.

As a US Citizen, I can go to Cuba as long as I don't spend any money there. So if I take a non-USA boat there, stay on board and live on what I have on board, I don't see that I have violated any of the rules at all.

Hey Dave,
Any tips for a first timer?
Old 18-02-2012, 06:43   #45

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

This is an interesting thread, but I have a different perspective:
I’m an Englishman living in Florida, with a Green Card, but not a US Citizen.
A year ago I bought a US documented boat, then undocumented it, and have now registered it as a British ship in the Isle of Man.
In a couple of months we want to make a maiden voyage somewhere, Bermuda, Bahamas and maybe include Cuba, then return to my home port of Melbourne, Florida.
Questions:
Can I visit Cuba, then sail back to the US without fear of reprisal or hassle?
What if I had a US Citizen(s) aboard as crew? My daugher is now a US (and UK) Citizen.
Do the Cuban authorities and people welcome overseas boaters anyway, or is there any hassle at their end as well?
www.schooner-britannia.com
Closed Thread

Tags
Cuba, cuba