Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 19:42   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Cuba for Americans ?

I know there is a loophole where Americans can fly in to Cuba from Canada. Can you sail into Cuba from a different Caribbean Country?
Old 01-01-2012, 19:56   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Cuba for Americans?

You can sail into cuba from america.

just don't sail back with any evidence of you spending money there
Old 01-01-2012, 21:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Not a loophole as in a way that US citizens can travel to Cuba legally, it is a way to circumvent the restrictions, but travel to Cuba by US citizens is still prohibited whether you fly from Canada, Nassau, Mexico or Jamaica.

Same applies to sailing.
Old 01-01-2012, 21:36   #4

Travel to Cuba by US citizens has not, or never has been illegal.

The issue is spending money in Cuba, do to the US embargo.

The US authorities will assume that if you're going to cuba, or coming from cuba, that you've spent or intend to spend money there...

therefore, they have a right to investigate.

But to actually go to and fro, is not illegal, and never has been.

The 'workarounds' are to either become a journalist/writer and prove to the US government that you are going there for good reason, OR, contract a citizen of another country (like Canada) to "sponsor" your travels. They will pay for everything in their non-US dollars, and you will pay them back....

I'm not making this up, this information is freely available.
Old 01-01-2012, 23:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Travel to Cuba by US citizens has not, or never has been illegal.

The issue is spending money in Cuba, do to the US embargo.

The US authorities will assume that if you're going to cuba, or coming from cuba, that you've spent or intend to spend money there...

therefore, they have a right to investigate.

But to actually go to and fro, is not illegal, and never has been.

The 'workarounds' are to either become a journalist/writer and prove to the US government that you are going there for good reason, OR, contract a citizen of another country (like Canada) to "sponsor" your travels. They will pay for everything in their non-US dollars, and you will pay them back....

I'm not making this up, this information is freely available.
All totally correct. I have said exactly the same in previous threads.

If you want to be precise on the wording no, it is not "illegal" to travel to Cuba but US citizens are prohibitted from contributing to the Cuban economy (ie spending money there). However, bottom line, you are theoretically subject to penalties (fines, confiscation of boat) for visiting Cuba without authorization (since even the US government can figure out that anyone going there probably spent some money). Call the travel ban by whatever term you like, the government doesn't want you to do it and flying through Canada doesn't change a thing. You probably won't be penalized but I think I'll wait.
Old 01-01-2012, 23:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
All totally correct. I have said exactly the same in previous threads.

If you want to be precise on the wording no, it is not "illegal" to travel to Cuba but US citizens are prohibitted from contributing to the Cuban economy (ie spending money there). However, bottom line, you are theoretically subject to penalties (fines, confiscation of boat) for visiting Cuba without authorization (since even the US government can figure out that anyone going there probably spent some money). Call the travel ban by whatever term you like, the government doesn't want you to do it and flying through Canada doesn't change a thing. You probably won't be penalized but I think I'll wait.
Sorry, wasn't really trying to reference other threads, or your particular posts. Just answering the guys question...

tl:dr travel to cuba is still not prohibited.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:16   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

word games, wait till you try it on the gov't offical
Old 02-01-2012, 05:31   #8
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

We sailed to Cuba in 99', being part of the Tampa to Havana race. With permission from all of the gov't agencies since we were being "FULLY HOSTED". Marina Hemingway had agreed to provide a)dockage, b)water & c)electric, all free, we had to provide food and Passports.

Relationship between Cuba & The US had been 'heeling' up until the summer of 2000, when a family of Cubans came a shore and a battle came about over one of the children.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
We sailed to Cuba in 99', being part of the Tampa to Havana race. With permission from all of the gov't agencies since we were being "FULLY HOSTED". Marina Hemingway had agreed to provide a)dockage, b)water & c)electric, all free, we had to provide food and Passports.

Relationship between Cuba & The US had been 'heeling' up until the summer of 2000, when a family of Cubans came a shore and a battle came about over one of the children.
A friend of mine sailed to Cuba totally on his own, I think it was the mid nineties. Seems like during that time a number of cruisers were going to Cuba and claiming that they lived on their boats so spent no money on hotels, food (cooked on board) etc. so were not in violation of the commercial bans. Worked for a while but word got out in FL that the feds were going to crack down and most sailors decided it was not worth the risk.

My buddy never heard anything from any US agencies about his trip and he stayed several months. Still think I'll wait a while.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

If you do go to Cuba it is not like you are disappearing. Lots of people know you are there; and that includes Cuban and American people.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Sorry, wasn't really trying to reference other threads, or your particular posts. Just answering the guys question...

tl:dr travel to cuba is still not prohibited.
Not to worry. Wasn't taking it as a targeted attack. Just shows we share similar interests if not always similar opinions. Besides, if everyone agreed on everything it would be a boring world, sailors would have nothing to talk about, and we would never learn anything. Of course it helps in discussions when I know I'm always right.

Again all correct. Travel to Cuba is not specifically illegal, banned, prohibited or proscribed in any way. However, without a license from the Office of Foreign Assets Control, US Department of the Treasury, US citizens are not allowed to engage in travel related transactions involving Cuba. Violators can be subject to civil and criminal penalties.

So technically travel is not illegal or banned but go try to get a license from OFAC or go without and wonder if you will be the lucky one to be subjected to the aforementioned civil and criminal penalties. Bottom line, travel to Cuba is not illegal or banned de jure but it certainly is de facto. And it makes an online discussion a bit simpler to use one word like banned instead of a multi paragraph, government speak, obfuscation.

For anyone interested here are the related links

Cuba Sanctions

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...a_trav_adv.pdf

And in regard to the Canadian prepaid package mentioned by the OP, these are covered here http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...s/cubatrav.pdf and are specifically referred to as illegal by the OFAC.

Since it is not specifically cruising related I guess I should not start expressing my opinions on the situation but in the course of Caribbean cruising I have actually circumnavigated Cuba and it sure looks like an interesting place to visit. 60 minutes recently did a piece on the marine park and reefs in Cuba and it looked like diving the reefs of the south Bahamas 35 years ago. Can't wait to go see for myself. Anyone that wants go and be a test case to challenge the policy has my (moral) support.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If you are truly interested I would suggest getting the Lonely Planet guide. They have extensive information on this topic.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

This has been discussed at great lengths on many threads here on the forum. It is not as simple as don't spend any money. You can get the facts here. Limitations and restrictions apply to any of these applications. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 02-01-2012, 08:08   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Moderation Note:
It is a delicate and fine line discussing Cuba travel for Americans without making a political statement... as the topic is... well... political in nature.

Per the rules of CF:
Quote:
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
Please stick to the facts and the OP topic; hyperbola will not be allowed.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37   #15

Boat: Whitby 55

I think what the original poster was asking is: Can he get away with sneaking into Cuba by sailing in from another country. As far as I know, some say you can and some say you can't. I had thought seriously about trying it from Isla Mujeres but decided I just can't risk my boat being taken away.
Closed Thread

Tags
Cuba, cuba