Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 07:06   #1

Cuba

Hi -

We are moving onto our boat this fall and heading south in the Atlantic. We would love to spend December in Cuba and would appreciate any experience anyone that was spent time there is willing to share.

I have done some research and found:

- You need to travel for a reason, would like to do educational or humanitarian work while there, any information on how to set that up?
- Restricted to staying 2 weeks - is that true? Is there a way to stretch it out to a month?
- Someone must always be on your boat when at port - is that really the case? Is there a way around that?
- Cuba waters are not well charted - any ports that that you can recommend? We have a 7' draft.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience, really appreciate any information you're willing to share.
susanlbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:41   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Cuba

This may help you get to Cuba.

https://havewindwilltravel.com/2017/.../#comment-4673

Cruising to Cuba: Filing the Proper Paperwork | Live Free or Die Sailing...The not-so secret missions of S/V Octopussy

FaceBook - "Cuba Land and Sea"
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:42   #3

Boat: ketch, 51'

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlbyrne View Post
Hi -

We are moving onto our boat this fall and heading south in the Atlantic. We would love to spend December in Cuba and would appreciate any experience anyone that was spent time there is willing to share.

I have done some research and found:

- You need to travel for a reason, would like to do educational or humanitarian work while there, any information on how to set t

- Restricted to staying 2 weeks - is that true? Is there a way to stretch it out to a month?
- Someone must always be on your boat when at port - is that really the case? Is there a way around that?
- Cuba waters are not well charted - any ports that that you can recommend? We have a 7' draft.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience, really appreciate any information you're willing to share.
Just spent two months in Cuba the most wonderful people.
30 day visa with one renewal. If not returning to USA directly no worries.
You can explore anywhere as long as you are in designated marinas. Must be in boat not true
Anchorage only in approved places here you can not touch land.
No issue with charts, used Garmin and navionics
Bahia Honda, Havana, Cabo San Antonio, cayo levisa.
As with all places it's what you make it. Now have some wonderful memories and new friends as family.
Old 13-04-2017, 09:16   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

Travelled there by land.
This is a CASH country
US credit cards and ATM cards are USELESS
GREAT people.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:12   #5

Thanks so much for all your help. Always more questions.....

Is it feasible to sail from Florida to Cuba and then to continue down to the Caribbean without sailing east into a head wind? Is it better to stop in Cuba when traveling back up from down south? I was hoping to spend Christmas in Cuba but may have to rethink that.
susanlbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 13:01   #6

Boat: Peterson 34

The best way to visit Cuba is by flying there. Why would you go to a poor communist country for a holiday in the first place? Why not go all out and visit Caracas and Havana for the holidays? The time to visit Cuba was when Obama was in power not now. The government in Cuba won't even let you anchor and they won't help you when you get in trouble. Do you speak enough spanish to communicate effectively with the Cuban military when in distress? Cuba is not Cancun.
SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:47   #7

https://www.amazon.com/Cuba-Forbiddi.../dp/B01DTNUW4I
Deirdraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:42   #8

Oh please!

Do we really have to bring politics into this? Nothing at all has changed, as far as Americans visiting Cuba, since the last presidential election. NOTHING!
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:16   #9

When I visited I really enjoyed it. I found the people very friendly and the country fascinating. I give them the award for Most Creative (And Overwhelming) Use of Concrete. Gotta love concrete patio umbrellas!

As with any country that speaks a different language, I think it behooves you to learn some simple phrases, but I got by just fine and my Spanish is limited to "Smack my ass and call me Judy", "Hi, we're drunk, lonely and need a place to sleep", and "Have you met my friend Brent, the alcoholic?"

Great people, great experiences and a very unique culture. I can't recommend Cuba enough.
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderless View Post
As with any country that speaks a different language, I think it behooves you to learn some simple phrases, but I got by just fine and my Spanish is limited to "Smack my ass and call me Judy", "Hi, we're drunk, lonely and need a place to sleep", and "Have you met my friend Brent, the alcoholic?"

Great people, great experiences and a very unique culture. I can't recommend Cuba enough.
That's hilarious! Guess I need to expand my Spanish. I always thought "Dos cervezas por favor" and "el baño?" was enough...
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
That's hilarious! Guess I need to expand my Spanish. I always thought "Dos cervezas por favor" and "el baño?" was enough...
When I was in my early 20's I had a friend who's mother was from Spain. She taught us those phrases and I've had fun with them ever since. His aunt (in her mid 60's) visited from Spain one summer and showed us how to make paella. She and I spent about an hour cleaning the squid and she spoke to me in Spanish the whole time. When my friend's mom came out I asked what her sister was saying to me. Apparently she was telling me things like how I cleaned squid sensually, how she loved my blond hair, and several things that actually made me blush. She was hitting on me hard. My friend was shocked but his mom couldn't stop laughing. I'd had a girlfriend whose parents were from Spain and she had told me that the Spanish girls would love my hair. I guess she was right.
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:17   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I always thought "Dos cervezas por favor" and "el baño?" was enough...
Been in Cuba many times. Suggest due to wait times you change that phrase to "Quatro cervesas por favor"
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

One of our former charter boat owners is there now and blogging via satellite.
https://sale2sail.me/blog/
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42   #14

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsTeam View Post
The best way to visit Cuba is by flying there. Why would you go to a poor communist country for a holiday in the first place? Why not go all out and visit Caracas and Havana for the holidays? The time to visit Cuba was when Obama was in power not now. The government in Cuba won't even let you anchor and they won't help you when you get in trouble. Do you speak enough spanish to communicate effectively with the Cuban military when in distress? Cuba is not Cancun.
Facepalm. Does the government of GDP somehow determine the attractiveness of a travel destination? Man, I've been to all the wrong places, but somehow enjoyed myself more than following the crowds.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 13:58   #15

Boat: Lagoon 40

Check out my blog - recent posts and also October/November 2015, Summer 2016. See the link below. I have made 3 trips now by boat. If I can help with specific questions, let me know!
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba